Arian Foster’s now committed to omnivore lifestyle

Buffalo Bills v Houston Texans Getty Images

Texans running back Arian Foster created a bit of a (needless) stir in the preseason by declaring himself vegan.

He’s apparently a part-time vegan now, saying he’s not so committed to it he won’t eat meat.

I’m not in a cult,” Foster said, via Tania Ganguli of the Houston Chronicle. “Nothing’s going to happen to me. I just wanted a piece of chicken. It wasn’t like temptation. I felt like I could use one.

Foster leads the NFL with 192 carries this year, so he’s obviously held up well so far, and any food choices haven’t been an issue.

“I’ve been dabbling back and forth,” Foster said. “I just like to eat healthy. The whole vegan thing, a lot of people are really interested in my food. . . .

“I’ve had meat since I said I don’t eat meat anymore, but I like to stay with the plant-based foods, but every now and then, I’ll eat something.”

It’s reasonable for Foster to think people shouldn’t obsess about how he chooses to fuel his body.

Then again, he’s the one that brought it up, and didn’t seem to mind when he was viewed as open-minded for doing so. The best way for him to make sure his diet wasn’t an issue might have been to not bring it up to begin with.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Arian Foster’s now committed to omnivore lifestyle”
  1. sin101 says: Nov 9, 2012 10:37 AM

It was always been the media’s decision to make story after story about it.

2. pikindaguy says: Nov 9, 2012 10:54 AM

The best NFL RB is a vegan. The best tennis player in the world is gluten free. I ought to reconsider my daily pizza dinners.

3. steviemo says: Nov 9, 2012 10:58 AM

Eat whatever the hell you want, big boy. Life is short as it is.

4. dylude says: Nov 9, 2012 11:10 AM

He also said it was hot during the pre-season. Wouldn’t be his fault if the media ran away with those comments and made him a global warming spokesman. They kinda made him the face of vegan eating when all he was doing was conversing with the media. I don’t get the writers point in telling him to hush, kinda seems counter intuitive coming from a writer.

5. jjrs89 says: Nov 9, 2012 11:11 AM

@steviemo

The only advantage to eating gluten free is if you have a pre-existing allergy to it. Otherwise it does nothing at all for you from a health standpoint

6. theralph2012 says: Nov 9, 2012 11:25 AM

I used to think Arian was cool for all these unique lifestyle choices. Now I just think he wants attention.

7. joetoronto says: Nov 9, 2012 11:32 AM

Before you know it, it won’t be cool to eat any meat or fish at all.

The same tree huggers that are closing down zoo’s everywhere will see to it.

Just watch.

8. peachypete says: Nov 9, 2012 11:34 AM

pikindaguy says:
    Nov 9, 2012 10:54 AM

Wait. Adrian Peterson is a vegan?

9. howiefeltersnatch says: Nov 9, 2012 11:35 AM

He should have never said anything, now he’ll have PETA sending out tweenage girls dressed like animals sitting in cages outside of the Texan’s practice facility.

10. farty5 says: Nov 9, 2012 11:48 AM

Who cares what he eats and why is he expressing it to the world? No one cares

11. spunjmunke says: Nov 9, 2012 12:07 PM

If God didn’t want you to eat animals, he wouldn’t have made them out of meat.

12. sonopazzo6 says: Nov 9, 2012 12:11 PM

Too many cheesesteaks………..maybe that’s what’s slowing the Eagles down!!!

13. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 9, 2012 12:41 PM

That’s like saying you’re a virgin but you still like to get a little sumpin’ every now and then.

14. jdzomba says: Nov 9, 2012 12:56 PM

Being “Vegan” is not a cult by any means. It is a lifestyle change aimed at improving health. I have been eating a vegan diet since June 2012. So far I have lost 68 lbs and have reversed the diabetes I was diagnosed with in May. Not in remission. Reversed. The hardest part is deciding to try it. I feel better and am happier than at any time in my life. Cult? Hardly.

15. blacknole08 says: Nov 9, 2012 1:42 PM

Good for him, as long as he doesn’t share anymore of his horrible poetry.

16. kate773 says: Nov 9, 2012 1:56 PM

I went pescatarian (I will eat fish) in April of this year. Its been fine with me. I like eating this way and I wasn’t a huge meat eater to begin with. As long as you don’t replace meat with carbs (pasta), then you should be fine.

I just had some 3 bean chili. Low-fat and vegetarian. It was delicious.

However, I couldn’t care less if other people eat meat. I think people get all touchy about vegetarians because some vegetarians (and vegans) get all preachy and smug about it. Or they’ll make a big show about turning up their nose at other people’s plate. Which is just rude. So I get it.

17. techieluddite says: Nov 9, 2012 2:20 PM

@pikindaguy,
    But the best couch potatoes eat everything!

18. rasalghoul says: Nov 9, 2012 4:18 PM

There is a hilarious comment about a bucket of chicken for Terry Bradshaw in there somewhere.

19. CKL says: Nov 10, 2012 12:07 AM

My nephew who owns two gyms and is a personal trainer with a nutrition background thinks it’s foolish healthwise for anyone let alone an athlete to try to be vegan or even vegetarian. There are simply proteins they need that being vegan can’t provide. If Foster “felt like eating chicken”, maybe his body was telling him something. Mine usually tells me I need chocolate. LOL