Blaine Gabbert hopes to play next week

Indianapolis Colts  v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert came into Thursday night’s game with a torn labrum in his left shoulder and he left the 27-10 loss to the Colts after landing on that area while being sacked in the fourth quarter.

Coach Mike Mularkey said after the game that he didn’t know the extent of the injury, but suggested that it wasn’t severe enough that Gabbert couldn’t have returned to the game. The circumstances of the game meant that it wasn’t worth the risk, however.

“I just thought where we were with the score, with a guy who had just gotten injured, I didn’t think it was worth the risk,” Mularkey said, via the team’s website. “I didn’t think it would have been very smart on our part to put him back out there.”

Since the Jaguars were comfortable letting Gabbert play with a torn labrum on Thursday night, it would seem they’d feel comfortable letting him play in future games unless there’s a new injury. Gabbert hopes that turns out to be the case.

“I’m going to do my best and be ready to roll,” Gabbert said.

The Texans are next up on the schedule for the Jaguars on Nov. 18, so the Jags have some extra time to make sure Gabbert is healthy enough to play before making their decision. If they decide he’s not ready, Chad Henne would get the start.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Blaine Gabbert hopes to play next week”
  1. regisphilbin says: Nov 9, 2012 10:00 AM

At this point, I’m only looking forward to wearing my recently ordered “Fire Jean Smiff” shirt.

2. polarbear71 says: Nov 9, 2012 10:06 AM

Blaine Gabbert hopes to play next week….Not Jags fans.

3. scothawk says: Nov 9, 2012 10:14 AM

I bet the Texans hope he plays too.

4. realitypolice says: Nov 9, 2012 10:28 AM

Chad Henne is a better QB than Blaine Gabbert.

If the competition had been true and open, and not biased towards a guy the Jags spent a top 10 pick on, Henne would have won.

Why they would keep trotting out an injured QB who is terrible when he’s healthy is beyond me. Not saying Henne is good, but he certainly can’t be any worse than the dumpster fire that is Blaine Gabbert.

5. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 9, 2012 10:36 AM

Tebow’s kingdom awaits

6. brenenostler says: Nov 9, 2012 12:18 PM

At this point, Jags fans are hoping for Henne to start.

7. kenboslice says: Nov 9, 2012 1:14 PM

If you guys actually watched Blaine play you would know he’s not the problem. When they are in no huddle the offense is night and day better. If the receivers would stop fumbling and batting the ball in the air and do their job, the jaguars would be in better shape.