Haloti Ngata: I can’t do what I want most of the time

Haloti Ngata AP

The Ravens defense has been much more forgiving than in past years, particularly when it comes to stopping the run, and the injuries suffered by defensive tackle Haloti Ngata are one of the causes for the change.

Ngata has been dealing with knee and shoulder injuries this season and they have limited both his playing time and his performance. Ngata was limited to 53 snaps last weekend, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, and turned in a game that was below the All-Pro level we’re accustomed to seeing. Ngata didn’t record a single tackle as Trent Richardson ran for 105 yards and says that the injuries are taking a toll on him.

“Now, it’s limiting me,” Ngata said. “I just can’t do what I want to do most of the time.”

Ngata said he doesn’t want to take a week off to recuperate and said he doesn’t think the injuries will require surgery after the season, which pretty much leaves him to do whatever he’s capable of doing given the limitations. That’s a problem for a Ravens run defense that’s already playing without linebacker Ray Lewis and we’re likely to see more teams attack Baltimore on the ground until Ngata or someone else is able to make that a less successful plan of attack than its been the last few weeks.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Haloti Ngata: I can’t do what I want most of the time”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 9, 2012 11:37 AM

What a great pickup Ngata was for the Ravens, players like him don’t come around very often.

2. jaypell says: Nov 9, 2012 11:51 AM

that means the Steelers will run it right up theyre gut

3. jaypell says: Nov 9, 2012 11:52 AM

Go Steelers

4. mightymightylafootball says: Nov 9, 2012 11:58 AM

“I can’t do what I want most of the time”

Isn’t that true for almost everyone?

5. jeffa43 says: Nov 9, 2012 12:11 PM

That’s ok, Flacco never can do what he wants to do.

6. nickster31 says: Nov 9, 2012 12:12 PM

Not sure why this guy is risking further injury like this. Lewis and Webb, two of their best defenders are out, Suggs is back, but is taking a LARGE risk as well. Reed is hurting as well.

Think Harbaugh should maybe think of sitting him for a game?

7. sudz28 says: Nov 9, 2012 12:21 PM

Luckily, with Ngata in the lineup all opposing running backs can do EXACTLY what they want to do! Great player his first couple of years, but he’s seriously leveled off and is average at best this season.

8. steelerdynasty2010 says: Nov 9, 2012 12:44 PM

no excuses boys and girls…….

9. gbpbacker84 says: Nov 9, 2012 1:09 PM

sudz28, just because he is injured doesn’t mean he’s leveled off and has become average. He will be fully healthy again, maybe not this season, but in the future. When healthy, this man is the best DT in the league and it really isn’t even close(I have JJ Watt as a DE). I guess that’s what he gets for playing through injury and being there for his teammates; ignorant people kicking him while he is down.

10. cereal blogger says: Nov 9, 2012 1:25 PM

I always thought Ngata should be playing in the middle of their 3-4, not as the right end. I think that is asking a little too much

11. mintberrycrunch1 says: Nov 9, 2012 1:36 PM

Football fans have to be the most near-sighted people on the planet. Ngata hasn’t magically become average, he’s just freaking hurt to the point that its severely impacting his game. Once he gets healthy, which might not be until next year, he will be the beast that he normally is.

12. rufustfireflyjr says: Nov 9, 2012 1:38 PM

gbpbacker, Ngata is not playing DT. He is now a 3-4 DE, like Watt is. And even if Ngata was completely healthy, as good as he would then be, I think I would still take Watt. Dude is elevating the position to a whole new level, like LT did with outside linebacker in the 3-4 years ago.

13. sixlombardisinyourface says: Nov 9, 2012 1:52 PM

like punch Ben in the face ? Can’t wait to see Dwyer and Redman footprints all over your chest and back.

14. gbpbacker84 says: Nov 9, 2012 2:51 PM

You are correct firefly. Ngata’s natural position is a DT though as a runstopper whereas Watt is an outside rusher naturally. Get Ngata healthy and plug him back in the middle and Balitmore’s D will turn it around. Completely unbiased viewpoint as I am a Packer fan. I’d take Ngata or Watt any day of the week on my team obviously.

15. ravensallday22 says: Nov 9, 2012 2:56 PM

rufustfireflyjr says: Nov 9, 2012 1:38 PM

———————————————————-
    Actually you are wrong. In a 3-4 style defense Cody plays NT(Nose Tackle) Ngata plays DT and Mcphee plays DE. Well thats aleast when they are on the field.

16. yyyass says: Nov 9, 2012 3:07 PM

Who says Flacco can’t do what he wants to do? He wants to sit quietly on the bench, so for three quarters a game he does just that.

NOBODY tells Joe Flacco he can’t do something.

17. otothez says: Nov 9, 2012 3:13 PM

sixlombardisinyourface says:
    Nov 9, 2012 1:52 PM

Dwyer and Redman? Those guys are studs….Ha!

18. deathonwings410 says: Nov 11, 2012 12:36 AM

This is a miserable season for the Ravens…just terrible. I’m a die hard fan, but I see them as a one and done playoff team. At least they’ll be picking in the early 20s for a change instead of mid 20s or later.