John Madden not a Falcons believer

Dallas Cowboys v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Part of the Falcons’ problem at the moment is the attention they crave, the respect they want can’t be satisfied for another two months, until the playoffs start.

Until then, they’re going to have to continue to bear backhanded praise such as Hall of Fame coach John Madden was dispensing Thursday.

During his “Madden Football” show on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Madden repeatedly used the word “solid” to describe the Falcons.

I think they have solid players,” Madden said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “They are solid on offense, solid on defense, special teams, the whole thing. They play very well as a group, as a team.

“But at this halfway point, I know they are undefeated. They have the best record. But I’m not really ready to say, ‘OK the Super Bowl is theirs. They are the World Champions.’”

Madden also said he doesn’t think the Falcons will go undefeated, which as predictions go, isn’t exactly picking Powerball numbers.

“But how are they going to do in the playoffs?,” Madden said. “At some point, with the Falcons I think you can be ready to jump into the playoffs and say how are they going to do there and that’s where I would start to have questions.”

Unless they jam cotton in their ears for the next two months, that’s what the Falcons are going to hear. And until they change their front-runner image with a postseason win, it’s what they’ll hear for longer than that.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “John Madden not a Falcons believer”
  1. goraidersgospurs says: Nov 9, 2012 7:47 AM

So will the falcons fans boycott the Madden Game, after this comment??

2. mrpickled says: Nov 9, 2012 7:51 AM

Why should he believe in these jokers? They were almost beat by the raiders! Their time is coming…… 11-5

3. deljzc says: Nov 9, 2012 7:56 AM

Getting home field advantage and having Ryan and that offense play at home will go a long way in helping them get a string of playoff wins.

Of course… I think both Green Bay and the Giants have confidence (based on recent thrashings) they can beat the Falcons anywhere.

4. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 9, 2012 8:02 AM

Me either! !!!

5. wtfchiefs says: Nov 9, 2012 8:02 AM

Total cake walk schedule.
    They will be exposed as frauds in the playoffs….like always

6. breadslicer says: Nov 9, 2012 8:07 AM

As a Falcons fan, I agree.

7. spicymudbugs says: Nov 9, 2012 8:08 AM

Thanks John…everybody outside of Atlanta feels the same. Nobody is going to take them serious till they win a playoff game

8. saintsly says: Nov 9, 2012 8:15 AM

Too bad they have the Saints in Nola. The Saints have their number and will give them their first loss this Sunday and I agree with Madden.

9. d214tx says: Nov 9, 2012 8:31 AM

Lol at “world champions” this isn’t a world wide sport. Only we care about it and calling it world wide sounds ridiculous

10. hardh3ad says: Nov 9, 2012 8:33 AM

As a falcon fan i can accept what madden is saying. we do need to win in the playoffs, but id rather have playoff problems than is my head coach going to get fired problems? who is my qb problems? why doesnt my team have a winning record problems? etc. in my opinion there is only a hand full of teams that can poke @ our playoff record. fans of teams that cant even go .500 or cant even make the playoffs themselves? really have no room @ all to talk.

11. lightcleric says: Nov 9, 2012 8:35 AM

I wouldn’t be a believer either, they’ve got one of the easiest schedules I’ve ever seen because their “hard” opponents like Philly self-destructed weeks ago.

12. sb44champs says: Nov 9, 2012 8:38 AM

Madden not a believer, niether am I nor the rest of the Who Dat Nation!!

13. sfsaintsfan says: Nov 9, 2012 8:45 AM

Beat the Saints twice in the regular season. Then I will start to believe, a little bit.

I won’t like it at all, but I will believe you are a good team.

Still think you will be one and done in the playoffs, but at least I will believe.

14. cowboycjn says: Nov 9, 2012 8:50 AM

I know the birds are strong -BUT- If any team could give them a loss it might just be the Saints this Monday night. Notice I said might – thats if the Saints come to play. If they show up with a lets win team spirit and the defense pulls together (which has not happen yet) they very well can be the team to up-set the birds winning streak. If the Saints show up with their oh-hum game face on – it might be a slaughter by the birds – this thing can go either way.

15. tlmoon2112 says: Nov 9, 2012 8:57 AM

John is expressing sentiment Ive been saying myself. The Falcons are a very good team but they also had playoff teams the last 2 years that tanked when they got into the tournament. They have a long way to go to prove themselves but the best thing they can do is keep winning.

16. titansbro says: Nov 9, 2012 9:01 AM

If stating that you don’t think they’re going undefeated & saying they haven’t won the SB yet makes you a non-believer, then we are all non-believers.

17. beckzhere says: Nov 9, 2012 9:11 AM

I can’t wait till the Falcons win a playoff game to silence all the skeptics. I just hope it finally happens this season.

18. opietaylor says: Nov 9, 2012 9:11 AM

They are solidly lucky. I see them facing a hot team that barely makes the playoffs and getting run in the 1st round. Overconfident, then panics.

19. mazblast says: Nov 9, 2012 9:12 AM

Who cares what the senile old coot thinks? His one trick pony act stopped being relevant around 1992.

20. joetoronto says: Nov 9, 2012 9:17 AM

What Madden said makes him a non believer at this time, just like all the rest of us.

That’s only fair though, IMO.

21. chc4 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:23 AM

Saints fans are hilarious. As if beating them is a big accomplishment. The Chiefs beat you… in NOLA!!! Saints are terrible and the Falcons will put up 40+ this weekend. And no one’s talking about the Saints offense seriously underperforming this year. Brees and company are not the high powered O of the past.

22. sb44champs says: Nov 9, 2012 9:26 AM

cowboycjn says:
    Nov 9, 2012 8:50 AM
    “I know the birds are strong -BUT- If any team could give them a loss it might just be the Saints this Monday night.”
    ==========================
    The game is at noon ET Sunday..

23. sb44champs says: Nov 9, 2012 9:27 AM

Sorry, noon CT Sunday..

24. butkusditka says: Nov 9, 2012 9:42 AM

I love the way we pick apart an undefeated Atlanta falcons, doubt them….then we talk about how well the likes of Indy and Denver are doin! I can’t even believe that the browns n jags still get ink. Dirty birds are for real……hunduuuuh, cuz they score more points than the other team before the end of the fourth. Just like Houston n Chicago

25. dvdman123 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:52 AM

Ok come on now folks it’s not like the Falcons have been cake walking through their schedule. They barely beat the Raiders at home and are benefiting from a second place schedule. I think they lose their first game this Sunday.

26. regc8691 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:56 AM

Im no falcons fan, but I remember seeing and hearing alot of similar comments and arguments about an Aaron Rodgers lead Green Bay Packers a few years ago…

27. brutusmandingo says: Nov 9, 2012 10:39 AM

My Bucs can and will beat the Falcons

28. skippynj says: Nov 9, 2012 11:05 AM

14-2 with those two losses coming on 11/11 and 11/29.

29. jssgriffi says: Nov 9, 2012 1:23 PM

I guarantee they lose their first playoff game.

30. kelshannon19 says: Nov 9, 2012 2:05 PM

He also said the Texans will be a one and done playoff team. He must have forgot they advanced in the playoffs last year with a 3rd string rookie qb.

31. dustinbrrtt says: Nov 9, 2012 2:55 PM

to jssgriffi- I guarantee you are WRONG!

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 9, 2012 4:09 PM

deljzc says: Nov 9, 2012 7:56 AM

————–

And once again, that’s going to be who they play — because those two are probably going to play each other in the 4/5, and head to Atlanta and destroy them.

Again.

33. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 9, 2012 4:10 PM

skippynj says: Nov 9, 2012 11:05 AM

14-2 with those two losses coming on 11/11 and 11/29
    ———————

And another on 12/16.

34. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 9, 2012 4:11 PM

regc8691 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:56 AM

————–

The Falcons don’t have an Aaron Rodgers.

35. tarmacjerry says: Nov 10, 2012 8:44 AM

regc8691 says: Nov 9, 2012 9:56 AM

————–
    Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 9, 2012 4:11 PM
    The Falcons don’t have an Aaron Rodgers.

——-
    The Packers didn’t have an “Aaron Rodgers” either.

36. regc8691 says: Nov 11, 2012 2:40 PM

“The Falcons don’t have an Aaron Rodgers.”

….and thats the exact same statements people were saying about Rodgers in regards to Brady, Brees, etc…
    I never said they were equals but the comments aboutthe team and situation is very similar.

37. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 11, 2012 3:00 PM

Matt Ryan is nothing special.

38. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 11, 2012 3:00 PM

That is the point of the “They don’t have an Aaron Rodgers” comment.