Brian Urlacher doesn’t care if people don’t like him congratulating opponents

Houston Texans v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher left Sunday night’s game impressed by the Texans.

Urlacher called running back Arian Foster a “bad ass” after the game was over and congratulated Texans safety Danieal Manning after Manning intercepted Jay Cutler in the first half of the game. Urlacher shook Manning’s hand on the field after the play and said Monday that he wasn’t concerned if people thought it was out of place to congratulate an opponent for making a play against your team.

“That was a nice play. I could give a crap about what people think on the street. Get mad at me all you want, I could give … I could give a crap about what people say,” Urlacher said on The Waddle & Silvy Show on ESPN 1000. “Danieal Manning is a friend of mine, he was a teammate for five or six years, and that’s the way it is. He made a catch and was running toward the sideline to say something to Coach, so I walked out there. The guy had a good game, he caused a fumble, had a pick. He’s my friend. I wish he wouldn’t have caught it, but he did, so nice play to you. I don’t give a crap about what fans or people say, they can kiss my butt. I don’t care.”

The last message could probably have been phrased in a way that didn’t lead to headlines with Urlacher inviting fans to plant their lips on his keister and still gotten the point across. He actually wound up doing it himself at another point in the interview.

“When the play is over, it’s over. It’s not like I have to go out there and be a jerk to him because it’s during the game and I’m a tough guy,” Urlacher said. “That’s not the way it is. They’re my friends. Between the whistles I’m going to try and get them, and when the play is over we’ll go back to doing whatever.”

These guys know each other and spend time with each other in and out of the season, so it’s only natural that you’re going to continue to treat your friends as your friends. As long as Urlacher’s still giving his best effort, and he was on Sunday, it’s hard to see it being a major problem in Chicago.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “Brian Urlacher doesn’t care if people don’t like him congratulating opponents”
  1. tharaidergangfearlessleader24over7 says: Nov 12, 2012 4:48 PM

Urlacher is one of the true blue collared football players left in the league. Respect from a Raider fan!

2. lisabearsfan says: Nov 12, 2012 4:49 PM

He’s classy and a good sport, good for him!

3. fuglyflorio says: Nov 12, 2012 4:49 PM

I think it’s a classy move.

4. bigjdve says: Nov 12, 2012 4:50 PM

I wish more athletes acted this way. Not trash talking but noting a good play when there is a good play. It is called sportsmanship. More people should try to do it.

5. goldrush36 says: Nov 12, 2012 4:54 PM

How dare you show class, respect, and sportsmanship Urlacher. Completely unacceptable

6. baloneyjohn says: Nov 12, 2012 4:55 PM

What the hell. Its his reputation. A real hard ass is right not to care what others think of his attitude. Its ON the field he has to go berserk.
    NOT OFF the field, as we have enough of these splendid gentleman as it is

7. JohnG says: Nov 12, 2012 4:57 PM

Agree with Urlacher. Also, much ado about nothing.

8. keramidas21 says: Nov 12, 2012 4:59 PM

I’m a Packers fan, but I have a lot of respect for Urlacher. He plays the game right and he has fun out there. Every player in the league should have that mindset.

9. stealthscorpio says: Nov 12, 2012 4:59 PM

I’m not THAT old…we used to call that sportsmanship…

I also saw Jay Cutler…give him a handslap and acknowledge him after a pressure… I was impressed…with Jay Cutler for once LOL…

10. jbl429 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:00 PM

Anyone who has a problem with that is out of their minds. I’d much rather have a player on my team who gives it his all between the whistles than a drit bag like Richie Incognito who pulls dirty moves after the play is over. These players may be on opposing teams, but they’re all cut of the same cloth and should realize that they’re getting paid very well to play a kid’s game. Play your hardest, and when it’s over, man up and shake hands. None of this “we were the better team but we lost” garbage, and none of the dirty attempts to hurt your opponents.

11. bbwasright says: Nov 12, 2012 5:00 PM

IF only the majority of the league had this kind of sportsmanship! We certainly wouldn’t have had Bountygate, or so many people suggesting the Saints were wronged. It’s nice to hear that some of the elite players still get it!

12. davikes says: Nov 12, 2012 5:01 PM

So he’s a class act who exemplifies sportsmanship. Thats the kind of thing I want my kids to see. Good for him.

13. pdillon1 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:02 PM

I’d give half my paycheck to see what the national media reaction would be if Cutler shook hands with Arian Foster after he scored a TD after bowling over Urlacher and then told the fans to kiss his butt the next day. Oh the double standard!

14. castleofcheese says: Nov 12, 2012 5:02 PM

I hate the Bears, but that is pretty classy of Urlacher.

15. jrfrom508 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:02 PM

Fair point. Still lame to hear him say that to his fans though. I’m not a bears fan but come on mam. You get to make millions playing the best game on earth. Crazy to suggest I know but picture this, Brian: respect your opponents AND your fans. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive bro.

16. lowelly says: Nov 12, 2012 5:03 PM

Agreed!

It’s bad enough some fans seem to have concussions and think they actually play for what ever team they like. Saying things like we need to do this. Or I can’t believe they beat us. Lol it would be comical if it wasnt so sad. Unless your actually collecting a paycheck from the team no one on the team gives a rats ass what your opinion is.

17. pick6ftw says: Nov 12, 2012 5:10 PM

I remember Michael Jordan giving high fives to Barkley and Drexler for slamming home big dunks to help put away the Bulls, and patting Reggie Miller on the butt for hitting a dagger 3. High five-ing guys that are making crucial game winning plays against your team, during the game: ultimate mindset of a champion.

18. notor23 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:12 PM

Imagine how bad Cutler would get ripped if he did this.

19. The Chu says: Nov 12, 2012 5:12 PM

I remember when Calvin Johnson had that amazing TD catch last year against Charles Woodson. After both of them got up, Woodson reached over and gave a fistbump. This is no different and should be more common than twitter wars over who’s more manly…

20. db105 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:13 PM

I’m all for sportsmanship. At the same time I don’t want my employer or customers to think that I don’t care about the best interest of my company or team.

21. mvp43 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:21 PM

I have no problem at all with 54 showing some class. It was a good play and Manning had a helluva game. I’m not even a Bears fan and I respect the heck out of Urlacher. The guy’s running around on 2 bad knees and playing his heart out every week and the last thing he wanted is Manning intercepting that ball. It was what it was……..a good play.

22. skinsfantom says: Nov 12, 2012 5:33 PM

DITKA and BUTKUS are rolling over in their gra………….(what’s that?) NEVER MIND

23. ninthwardfriend says: Nov 12, 2012 5:33 PM

He’ll rip your head from the first to last whistle. After that shake hands, how is your wife and kids, drink a beer, watch film. Next week, foaming from the mouth, ready to destroy.

24. goldrush36 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:34 PM

pdillon1 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:02 PM

______________________________________
    Lol the man has a point..

25. istallion says: Nov 12, 2012 5:46 PM

Great player, great guy. Let the haters hate. Who cares what they think?

26. twelsh36446 says: Nov 12, 2012 5:52 PM

Just goes to show how classless Chicago fans are.

27. ahmiller21 says: Nov 12, 2012 6:00 PM

No different than Favre and Sapp yucking it up after Sapp would get a good hit or sack him, and nothing was made of that. It’s just good sportsmanship, end of story. I wish more people had that kind of attitude!

28. purpleguy says: Nov 12, 2012 6:00 PM

Urlacher’s crabbiness is pretty fun — good response.

29. lionsplayoffs says: Nov 12, 2012 6:01 PM

All of a sudden, I don’t hate every single Bears player. Good for him.

30. hehateme2 says: Nov 12, 2012 6:04 PM

I wish more players were like him. Stay classy Brian.

31. 1oldpro says: Nov 12, 2012 6:06 PM

When I saw him shake Manning’s hand, I liked it. A tough guy being a good guy. He could play on my team anytime.
    How does he get that tiny little helmet on? It seems like it will split in half if he clenches his teeth.
    Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher. Great history. Some admiration from a Texans’ fan.

32. standintexas says: Nov 12, 2012 6:08 PM

Urlacher gives the bears something that I didn’t think they had. Class. My hat is off to you Brian.

33. tucostacos says: Nov 12, 2012 6:44 PM

Great player, flawed man who isn’t afraid to be human, proud to have been witness to every single snap of his Hall of Fame career.

The ol grey mare ain’t what she used to be…but it ain’t for a lack of trying.

Bear Down!!!

34. nesuperfan says: Nov 12, 2012 6:48 PM

35. vikefan says: Nov 12, 2012 6:58 PM

Kudos Urlacher

Sportsmanship…..a lost art in the world of professional sports where ppl can make millions, feel entitled to everything, & some wont give a kid on the street the time of day.

This is very refreshing & should be promoted for the good of ALL games

36. dachozen1 says: Nov 12, 2012 7:11 PM

These players really dont care what you think regarding their product on the field. They’re all in it to get as much money they can. It would be wise for all of us to give them the same love back…

37. Laura says: Nov 12, 2012 7:41 PM

Anyone else thinking of the Sam & Ralph cartoons?

38. domehead says: Nov 12, 2012 7:46 PM

Not a big fan of the Bears, but this is ridiculous. How did we get here? Maybe it would be better if all the players were like Roddy White.

39. darkglobe1 says: Nov 12, 2012 7:51 PM

what he did on the field may be classy, what hw said isn’t. maybe he’ll care what fans think when they stop buying his jerseys or boo him out of town.

40. axespray says: Nov 12, 2012 10:50 PM

So he’s basically like Favre – joking around and trash talking between whistles ….

That’s when you know these freaking tv timeouts are getting ridiculous.

41. dino2997 says: Nov 13, 2012 12:47 AM

I say this as a Bears fan. It’s easy to say this is a classy move but I remember the days of Butkus and Singletary and they hated their opponent on game day with a passion. There would be no high fives or handshakes until the game was over.

Urlacher is free to do whatever he chooses but to say “I don’t care what fans think” doesn’t sit well with me.

42. larryboodry says: Nov 13, 2012 2:31 AM

nesuperfan says: Nov 12, 2012 6:48 PM

“Considering how many positive comments we have here regarding Urlacher’s sportsmanship, I have to wonder if he found the one person in Chicago, who is not happy with him, and making a mountain out of a molehill.

I also like his sportsmanship, and with so many here agreeing, I am not sure who he is talking about.”

I don’t know a single Bears fan who had a problem with him shaking Manning’s hand, and not once did Brian say the words ‘Bears fans,’ he said ‘people on the street.’ Reporters spend a lot of time on the street, I bet he meant them.

43. CKL says: Nov 13, 2012 12:02 PM

Nothing wrong with it, IMO. Guys on opposing teams do this type of stuff all the time. I saw it last night with KC. Think it was Charles who gave a Steeler’s player props who tackled him.

That said, anyone who thinks Urlacher is classy in general? LOL He’s a huge jerk.

44. mrcogburn says: Nov 13, 2012 11:47 PM

Dude s a jerk, with diminishing skills, no less. Thus he’s all prickly and sensitive when held accountable.