Lions question hits on Calvin Johnson, Chris Houston

Calvin Johnson AP

The Lions were hoping to get back on the happy side of .500 with a win over the Vikings on Sunday, but it was not meant to be.

Minnesota won 34-24 to improve to 6-4 and bolster their playoff chances, a result that the Lions feel they tried to get by intentionally trying to injure Detroit players. Cornerback Chris Houston accused the Vikings of trying to hurt his ankle during a 61-yard Adrian Peterson touchdown run.

“Lineman just fell on my ankle on purpose. I went to cut him, and as he went down, he put both knees on my ankle on purpose. It’s part of the game,” Houston said, via Anwar Richardson of MLive.com. “I was on the ground, so I didn’t get to see who it was, but as he pulled, I cut him, he was flying over the top of me, and you could feel him land on my ankle on purpose.”

Houston said after the game that his ankle was fine. That wasn’t the only instance in the game where the Lions felt the Vikings might have crossed the line. Wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who suffered an injury that the team maintains was not a concussion thanks to a hit to the head in the first meeting between the teams this year, took a couple of hits to the head during the game and quarterback Matthew Stafford was not fond of their approach.

“Obviously, you never like to see anybody get hit in the head,” Stafford said, also via MLive.com. “It’s a part of our game that they’re trying to get rid of. I think it’s a good thing. Calvin’s a tough guy. He stayed in there and made some great plays for us. Obviously, had a great game, but there’s not a whole lot of place for that in this league.”

Johnson said he didn’t feel like the Vikings were targeting his head during the game and said that his late fumble was not a result of the hits or any lingering issues from the earlier injury. It was just a fumble, according to Johnson, and it is one of the reasons why a return trip to the playoff looks a lot less likely for the Lions.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Lions question hits on Calvin Johnson, Chris Houston”
  1. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 12, 2012 11:05 AM

D’oh-kay.

2. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 12, 2012 11:07 AM

Yeah, that was a pretty dirty play when Johnson jumped up to make a catch and as he came down his helmet landed on the Viking’s helmet who was standing under him.

3. thejuddstir says: Nov 12, 2012 11:14 AM

“……….and you could feel him land on my ankle on purpose.”
    ==========================
    come again, LOL..what an asinine statement.

4. chillyp says: Nov 12, 2012 11:17 AM

“Lineman just fell on my ankle on purpose. I went to cut him, and as he went down, he put both knees on my ankle on purpose. It’s part of the game,” Houston said.

So let me get this straight, Chris Houston (178lbs) went and cut a lineman (avg 310lbs) and he fell on your ankles and you’re wondering why you got hurt? Here’s a little hint on how to avoid those injuries, quick diving at an OL knees and ankles. Standup like a man.

5. iluvbears says: Nov 12, 2012 11:17 AM

If you can’t win the game straight up, then you fall back on complaining about the opponent taking cheap shots or the referees making bad calls. That’s just the nature of a losing team.

6. purpleguy says: Nov 12, 2012 11:19 AM

So the Vikings tackled the Lions too hard and an O-lineman fell on Houston on purpose after Houston admitted to cutting him down? Sheesh, someone call the NFL police.

7. mvp43 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:19 AM

Okay, hard for me to give the Lions the benefit of the doubt considering their own reputation. Shwartz was hired to instill a sense of toughness, which he did, problem is that they’re more dirty than tough and they don’t back it up.

8. cidman2001 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:20 AM

It sounds like they should be checking him for an concussion, not checking his ankle. Heheheheheeee…….

9. halestorm74 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:22 AM

He couldn’t see who it was but ” you could feel him land on my ankle on purpose.”

Wow his ankle felt it was on purpose. That ankle needs to watch the tape . Fusco did NOT do that on purpose.

10. thetokyosandblaster says: Nov 12, 2012 11:28 AM

Both these teams play dirty. It’s really the only chance they have of winning a game.

My take: the Vikings played about ten points dirtier on Sunday.

11. jeffsnow7 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:39 AM

Why was he trying to cut someone and he is playing Defense??? Isnt that illegal?

12. lionsplayoffs says: Nov 12, 2012 11:43 AM

The whole team could use a lesson in keeping their mouths shut when they lose. It just makes things worse than they already are.

13. spartan822 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:45 AM

Excuses are the refuge of the weak.

14. thesportsguy52 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:52 AM

Complaining about hits in football=complaining about waiting at the DMV

15. motorcitym says: Nov 12, 2012 12:01 PM

It was painfully obvious that the Viking were head hunting with Johnson. There were several occasions that looked like a Vikings player elbow dropped our guys, Harrison in particular!

16. garyman1 says: Nov 12, 2012 12:03 PM

Do I detect the slightest hint of hypocrisy here ?

17. squared80 says: Nov 12, 2012 12:08 PM

motorcitym… I’m a Lions fans, and even I’ll tell you that you’re way off base with that comment. Megatron had his helmet hit like one time, and that was called as a penalty (even I think that one was questionable). Instead of excuses, accept the fact that we got beat, and our players are doing what they’ve done all year… running their mouths. I get so tired of it.

18. bigd9484 says: Nov 12, 2012 12:29 PM

Huh, turns out 300+lb linemen get agitated at the 175lb guys diving at their knees and accidentally land on their ankles, who would have thought? Maybe a good way to avoid that would be to not dive at their knees, hmm?

19. jimeejohnson says: Nov 12, 2012 12:33 PM

“Complaining about hits in football=complaining about waiting at the DMV”

Who waits at the DMV anymore except arrogant, terrible drivers whose licenses have been suspended? You can do it all online, including renewing your license, if you’ve got a clean driving record.

20. pleazenufalready says: Nov 12, 2012 1:02 PM

These types of comments should come as no surprise. As the Lions season spirals down the toilet, they’ll resort to what they do best…….yappin’

21. anarchopurplism says: Nov 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Wow….these dudes are bad!

Lookout NFL

22. flickaboogie says: Nov 12, 2012 2:07 PM

I can see why the Lions are griping, they’ve had most of their starters injured all season but it’s just part of the game, happens to some teams more than others.

23. 500superfast says: Nov 12, 2012 2:34 PM

I watched all the helmet-to-helmet hits this weekend (CFB and Pro) and if you want to stop it in its track, how about automatic expultion to the offending player and the team plays short a man( without pay both player AND team) until the end of the quarter (or next quarter if under a minute left.) Maybe it might teach the players to tackle properly and not with their head! If other guys are going to get hit with a fine for the morons who contiune to do it, retribution from their teammates with pale in comparison to loss of a paycheck. Who knows, the game might even be safer…

24. jimmylions says: Nov 12, 2012 4:57 PM

His comments are just a guy venting frustration about a big loss, and frustration about the media labeling the Lions as a dirty team just because it’s an easy headline.

And he’s probably right – someone probably was trying to take out his leg. Players do this kind of thing in every game. And guess what … there are still bounties out there. The difference now is that they don’t talk about them in team meetings or around outsiders.

25. tdsbepoppin says: Nov 12, 2012 5:48 PM

@jimmylions, yeah someone had a bounty on Chris Houston…

26. seals1 says: Nov 12, 2012 6:11 PM

“I went to cut him when he fell on my ankle”,,,,,,,,,,,,,let me think about that again. “I went to cut him when he just fell on my ankle”

Maybe you should be trying to tackle AP and not cutting the big boys inside.

All is right in the world when the Lions act like the Lions again. I was all throw out of whack last year.

27. 13curtjp says: Nov 12, 2012 6:34 PM

Maybe if Stafford was competent enough to quit leaving Johnson out to dry, he wouldn’t be taking those hard shots. What do you think is going to happen every time he has to jump 5 feet in the air to catch a ball?

28. theqmaster says: Nov 12, 2012 7:07 PM

“@jimmylions says:
    Nov 12, 2012 4:57 PM
    Houston has reason to be depressed – our defense got beat by Christian Ponder. The only thing worse would be losing to Tebow.”

You forgot to say TWICE got beat by Christian Ponder!

29. vikefan says: Nov 12, 2012 7:47 PM

is there a team other than the Vikings that does not complain bout a loss after the game anymore regarding dirty play, officiating, or we beat ourselves?

sometimes ya just gotta give props when beaten like we did to the bucs & redskins

research sportsmanship (ie urlacher)

30. pack13queens0 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:36 PM

Vikings are dirtier than Jeff Gordon.

31. brewdogg says: Nov 13, 2012 12:54 AM

So, you dove at a player’s legs in an effort to make him fall down (btw, there is a certain lack of control inherent in falling…) and, even though you were on the ground and couldn’t even see who it was, you know that as he went flying over you he intentionally put both his knees on your scrawny little ankle. Okay….. I think the intelligence filter between your brain and mouth is malfunctioning. You should probably not say anything until it gets repaired.

And if you don’t want linemen falling on you, how about you not throw yourself at their feet. Just a thought…..

32. johnsticle says: Nov 13, 2012 7:44 AM

The LIONS are calling another team dirty? The LIONS!? Lol that’s hilarious.

33. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Nov 13, 2012 10:15 AM

“Vikings are dirtier than Jeff Gordon”

I am guessing that is an insult, but its pretty obscure so you may have to explain for it to you know….be insulting.

34. vikefan says: Nov 13, 2012 10:36 AM

sorry i should not have been so hard on the lions, after all im sure they are only following what their coach says

35. bmeye03 says: Nov 13, 2012 12:07 PM

While it looked like the Vikings were making a concerted effort to hit Calvin Johnson as many times as possible with as many people as possible, I didn’t see anyone “head hunting.” It looked to me like the game plan was to make sure Johnson got hit hard every time he touched the ball which is a legal play in the game of TACKLE football. I hate it when a team plays physical and the opposing team cries about getting hit. If you don’t like contact then go figure skating.