Rams-49ers tie left players and coaches confused

St Louis Rams v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

You’d think with all the static Donovan McNabb heard for not knowing the overtime rules, the message would have gotten out.

But after yesterday’s 24-24 tie between the Rams and 49ers, there were still folks unsure why it ended.

For 49ers safety Dashon Goldson, it took players from both sides walking onto the field to signal that the game actually ended.

I’ve never heard of a tie in football,” Goldson said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “Where’s everybody going? Did somebody quit? Forfeit?”

It only felt that way.

The tie was the appropriate ending for a game in which both sides missed overtime field goals, and mistakes undid chances to win in regulation and the extra session.

“I’ve been doing this a while and I don’t think I’ve ever been in a game like this,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We had a number of chances to put this one away and unfortunately we didn’t.

“We just didn’t win it. But we didn’t lose it, either.”

“It feels like we didn’t even play, mentally not physically,” 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said.

That uncertainty was echoed by his coach, who seemed at a loss for words.

“I don’t know exactly how it feels, yet,” 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. “I don’t know quite how to feel right how. I’ve asked several people, some of our players. And I think they feel like I do. Don’t know quite how to feel right now.

“But the way I feel is that it was a good football game. A hard-fought football game, and we came out even.”

And even after all these years, ties still surprise.

UPDATE 9:22 a.m. ET: It wasn’t just the 49ers who didn’t know the rule. Rams wide receiver told Sports Illustrated’s Peter King he didn’t realize it was over, saying: “I thought we were going to keep playing.”

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams
29 Responses to “Rams-49ers tie left players and coaches confused”
  1. joesmoe101 says: Nov 12, 2012 8:50 AM

smh…i’m literally at a loss of words

you get paid millions and don’t know the rules to the game?

2. tundey says: Nov 12, 2012 9:02 AM

Somewhere, McNabb is crying into his Chunky Campbell Soup (which he paid money for): See?! I am not the only dumb player that doesn’t know a game can end in a tie.

3. mjbulls45 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:02 AM

both harbaugh brothers will choke to pitt & nyg

when it counts the most. see you in the playoffs.

4. sfm073 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:03 AM

What a completely misleading title. One player said he didn’t know it could end in a tie not multiple players and coaches.

5. bathroomben7 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:04 AM

“I’ve never heard of a tie in football,” Goldson said

This is why you’re only paid to run and jump and do exactly what Coach Harbaugh tells you to do.

6. enochmh2 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:05 AM

This is what happens when you play for field goals! I wonder what a concussed Alex smith was thinking though

7. 8man says: Nov 12, 2012 9:06 AM

I picked the niners. How do I score this for myself? Do I get a zero? A one? A half?

8. harryglyphics says: Nov 12, 2012 9:09 AM

No game should end in a tie.
    I have advocated a very simple rule for overtime:
    Each team gets a possession. However that possession happens–whether its a kickoff after a score, a turnover via fumble or int, whatever, THEN it becomes Sudden Death.

Seems pretty damn simple to me.

9. purplengold says: Nov 12, 2012 9:10 AM

looking the standings now reminds me of the old days before regular season OT

10. truthfactory says: Nov 12, 2012 9:14 AM

Why do even casual fans of football know that there are ties, but the guys who get paid millions of dollars to actually play the games are clueless???

This is literally inexcusable.

11. bucsfan5000 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:27 AM

“I’ve never been a part of a tie. I never even knew that was in the rule book…I hate to see what would happen in the Super Bowl and in the playoffs.”
    -Donovan McNabb

12. jimthebuilder27 says: Nov 12, 2012 9:37 AM

I’m not an NFL player, yet I knew games ended in a tie. How is it I know the rules more than coaches or players?

13. bkostela says: Nov 12, 2012 9:42 AM

its time for the nfl to do away with the tie. there’s no reason why they can’t just keep playing until someone scores. with kickers making 60 yard field goals, the team only needs to advance the ball just past midfield to have a chance, so the game won’t last forever.

OR, at the end of OT, have the opposing kickers decide the outcome with a field goal version of “HORSE”

14. thejuddstir says: Nov 12, 2012 9:54 AM

Must be the “college edumacation” these players earned.

15. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Nov 12, 2012 9:55 AM

I feel just the opposite of most posters here. I would end regular season overtime. You win it in regulation or it’s a tie. It would make for some interesting end games, standings and playoff seeding.

16. dontgooffwondering says: Nov 12, 2012 9:57 AM

If neither team can score once in fifteen minutes of over time, then neither team deserves credit for the win. Both teams had opportunities to convert and both teams failed to do so.

How is this the NFL’s fault? It’s up to the teams to get it done. That’s their job. That’s what they get paid for. If they can’t, then the most appropriate thing they can be given is half of the win each.

It’s only fair.

17. oaktown49er says: Nov 12, 2012 10:02 AM

A tie game reminds me way to much of another sport some call football.

18. cooklynn17 says: Nov 12, 2012 10:10 AM

There should be no ties in any football game on any level, ever. I don’t care if your playing until 2 in the morning, finish the game.

Baseball plays 23 innings ir more, please.

19. snookau says: Nov 12, 2012 10:25 AM

If you watched this game as an unbiased 3rd party, you’d realize neither of these teams deserved to win. Its fitting that it ended in a tie in my opinion. If you can’t win a game in 15 minutes of overtime, it ends in a tie. Very fitting.

20. musicman495 says: Nov 12, 2012 10:45 AM

Dashon Goldson, another 49er genius.

21. szwhtsup123 says: Nov 12, 2012 10:48 AM

I have to agree with harryglyphics in every account. There should NEVER be a tie in football, this has to be the dumbest rule in the book.
    “I have advocated a very simple rule for overtime:
    As long as both teams had the ball even if for just one play, from that point on it’s Sudden Death.”
    This is a no brainer, c’mon NFL get with it!

22. ncm42 says: Nov 12, 2012 11:03 AM

Does the Rams WR mentioned in the update have a name?

23. S.Nevada says: Nov 12, 2012 11:07 AM

I’m 100% fine with ties, but then again, I’m a fan of ‘the sport that shall not be named’. I’d be fine if they did what another poster suggested and fully did away with regular season OT. If you can’t decide it in 60, what makes you think another 15 is deserved?

24. jibberator says: Nov 12, 2012 11:20 AM

Its not like its one of the most important rules in the game. And its not like the nfl hasn’t changed the rules regarding overtime a million times.

25. catquick says: Nov 12, 2012 12:06 PM

I don’t believe that at least one asst coach isn’t at least 50 yrs old and doesn’t remember before there was overtime and games often ended in ties. How hard would it be to pass the word?

26. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 12, 2012 12:38 PM

Well actually Fisher you DID LOSE it. You went into this game knowing a tie or loss effectively ended your season and you needed to gameplan for spotting the other team a point in effect.

You lost, and didn’t even realize it before or after the game. That’s not good.

27. techvet says: Nov 12, 2012 12:46 PM

The overtime rules are decades-old. There have been recent tweeks, but the rules are still generally the same. If the score is tied at the end of the first overtime, the game is OVER and considered a tie. I do not understand why players are so mystified. The coaches are 100% to blame for their players being confused.

28. dmcgrann says: Nov 12, 2012 2:05 PM

The players aren’t the only confused ones. Fox had the final score presented in a graphic that said “End 1st OT”.

Ties happened at all levels for decades in the regular season. I don’t see why they still shouldn’t occur, except that means that people will have to do more math to figure out the standings.

29. fourthand20 says: Nov 12, 2012 2:22 PM

I thought there was a shootout.