Bills beat Thursday’s blackout deadline, but problems loom

Titans Bills Football AP

The Bills have declared Thursday’s game against the Dolphins a sellout, allowing a local television broadcast.

But the rest of the season might be tougher to show fans in Western New York who don’t buy a ticket.

According to Gene Warner of the Buffalo News, the rest of the season will be tougher to create a full house for.

More than 15,000 tickets remain for games against the Jaguars (Dec. 2) and Jets (Dec. 30), and more than 10,000 for the Rams game (Dec. 9).

“That is a heavy volume of inventory to move in a short period of time,” Bills Chief Executive Officer Russ Brandon said Monday. “It will be a difficult task.”

Bills officials said Thursday’s game is a legitimate sellout, with neither the team nor local affiliate WBBZ buying extra tickets.

The Bills did not elect to accept the 85 percent sellout threshold for declaring blackouts, and team officials said when they fail to sell out in December, they usually fall short of 85 percent anyway.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Bills beat Thursday’s blackout deadline, but problems loom”
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Nov 13, 2012 9:37 AM

13 years of no playoffs will do that to a fan base. frankly they are lucky they dont have 40000 seats left to sell.

2. buffalobills2012 says: Nov 13, 2012 9:39 AM

Buffalo fans once again punished for a below average product. You know how many tickets would be available if they were 6-3?? 0

We will be there in droves when there iF optimism….how many home games weeks 1-5 sellout in buffalo? ALL OF THEM.

Hey Russ,
    Its not our fault your decsion making SUCKS and you constantly hire retreads. Get ahead of the game and hire some damn Youth!!!!

3. ttommytom says: Nov 13, 2012 9:50 AM

“They usually fall short of 85 percent anyway”

Really?

They’re going with the ‘Your way wouldn’t have worked so we would have failed anyway’?

Wow…

What about the 1000’s of hard working or older or disabled people who buy Bill’s stuff and can’t go to a game? Way to lose even more fans.

If you’re in what amounts to a catch 22, then take the 85% and give your franchise a chance…

4. trollhammer20 says: Nov 13, 2012 9:58 AM

They also have a “home” game in Toronto on December 16th, against the Seahawks.

The bad news about that is if I go to Ticketmaster and request six mid-priced seats in a mid-price-range area, I am given four different options where six adjacent seats are available. This indicates to me that plenty of tickets are available for that one, too.

5. dspyank2k11 says: Nov 13, 2012 10:10 AM

Sell the team Ralph to your “secret” groups that are waiting in the wings. Golisano, Kelly and Friends, etc..

Right now would see that your legacy stays in Buffalo.

Your decision making days of hiring team presidents and GMs and CEOs and CFOs and CIOs and E I E I Os are over.

Just sell it to a competent group and retire and live out the rest of your days. The Bills fan base thanks you for all of your hard work and keeping the team here as long as you have, but please step down.

Sincerely,

The Bills Fan base

6. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Nov 13, 2012 10:15 AM

I can’t believe anyone goes to games anymore. The experience sucks. I go to Dolphins games only because my son loves it. If he didn’t care, I’d be on the freaking couch too.

7. 5wide says: Nov 13, 2012 10:33 AM

For 13 years, December has meant the playoffs are already out of reach for Buffalo. The games are meaningless, and no one wants to sit outside in December to watch a sub .500 team fumble and bumble around in the cold weather. I would rather pay someone $20 to kick me in the nuts than sit in a half empty stadium watching a depressing product. It would save me a lot of money and a lot of time and probably hurt less.

8. ballboy48 says: Nov 13, 2012 10:34 AM

I keep hearing how dedicated those Bills fans are, but it seems like they only want to go if they are winning! Isn’t that called fair weather fans? A group that is dedicated to their team, is the Cleveland Browns fans! They have had something like two winning seasons since coming back, and haven’t had a (not one) blackout yet, in what 13 or 14 seasons

9. bigfranky75 says: Nov 13, 2012 10:37 AM

The msot frustrating part of that (to me at least)… is that usually, after the blackout, the Ralph still has more peopel in it than 90% of the league’s stadiums… why the hell does Buffalo’s stadium seat almost 74,000 when teams like Chicago & Indy only seat in the low 60,000’s??? ugh…

10. schmitty2 says: Nov 13, 2012 10:41 AM

A team that hasn’t made playoffs in 13 years and upcoming games against Jags,Jets and Rams. I can’t believe tickets are still available!!

11. joetoronto says: Nov 13, 2012 10:47 AM

ballboy48 says:
    Nov 13, 2012 10:34 AM
    **********************************************
    The Browns have something truly special, they could stink for decades and still sellout every game.

That’s the way it is here with the Leafs, generations of sellouts amongst generations of losing seasons.

12. ballboy48 says: Nov 13, 2012 10:56 AM

Yeah, but, bigfranky, living in upstate NY, I know the last few years they have had in the 40,000-50,000 range for the last few games.

13. rcali says: Nov 13, 2012 11:04 AM

Move them to “name a city or other country.” Isn’t that how the NFL deals with their bad teams and fans not wanting to fully support them?

14. jimginal says: Nov 13, 2012 11:12 AM

Lifelong Bills fan and Buffalo transplant here. The Bills sold out their late season games for years when they were terrible. It’s just been the past few years that they’ve had trouble selling out the late season games. I laugh at the notion that Bills fans are fair weather. I think simply put Bills fans are getting sick of losing. This year will be 13 years without making the playoffs. We have had one winning season in that time span, the 2004 campaign. The Bills always sell out their early season games. The fans are putting it in pretty black and white terms; they are saying “we’re selling out these early season games and if you are in contention later in the year we will sell out those games as well.”

Here’s another thing about ticket sales, I think they would sell out more late season games if we knew what was going to happen to them after Ralph Wilson passes away. The future is unsettling and I think if a succession plan is there(which I think there is) and the fans know about it, they everyone can finally relax and go back to having fun at the late season games because they know there’s going to be a tomorrow.

But bottom line is if the Bills can put together a good season sometime in this century than you will see these late season games sold out in a heartbeat.

15. tdotbronco says: Nov 13, 2012 11:21 AM

It’s starting to get cold and snowing in Toronto by the time December gets here, that’s why they can’t sell out. To much of a hassle for us to drive 2 1/2 hours. Or else it be a sell out the whole season, cause of us!!!

16. chase457 says: Nov 13, 2012 11:25 AM

If I lived in Buffalo I would have season tickets and be at every home game. The experience is AWESOME! Bills fans are the best win or lose. I love my $hitty team.

17. yanksbills says: Nov 13, 2012 11:36 AM

A sold out stadium wont stop Fitzpatrick from throwing interceptions in the end zone.

Maybe we just need to buy more of his jerseys.

18. joetoronto says: Nov 13, 2012 11:46 AM

trollhammer20 says:
    Nov 13, 2012 9:58 AM
    They also have a “home” game in Toronto on December 16th, against the Seahawks.

**************************************************

You should buy them, trollhammer.

They’ll only cost you about 300.00 a shot, plus 30 bucks to park and a 30 dollar lunch, hey, you’re only looking at a couple of grand.

19. tomcous says: Nov 13, 2012 11:52 AM

@ballboy48:

B.S.!!! … not taking anything away from “The Dawg Pound” … In fact I will add to fan support positive …

Both Cleveland and Buffalo have top 1/3 seat capacity & both have filled 85-90% within the time-frame for which you speak …

Now compare that to population areas & you definitely have some of the best NFL fans in the nation.

There are “Fairweather Fans” everywhere, but in Western New York those are the ones that cheer on the other division teams …

———————–
    ballboy48 says:
    Nov 13, 2012 10:34 AM

20. billsboy88 says: Nov 13, 2012 7:27 PM

I already bought tickets to the Bills-Rams game, the entire time I was doing it I couldn’t figure out why I was doing it.

This team has done so much to dissapoint me for so long that I can’t figure out why I am still such a rabid fan. They have done nothing to repay me. They just give me constant heatbreak. Yet I still dedicate my time and money supporting them.

The fans are sick of losing, but it’s more than that. We are sick of Buffalo in general being associated with losing. Much like Saints revived N.O after Katrina, Buffalo needs the Bills to change the stigma of Western NY.