Minnesota governor Mark Dayton sent a nasty letter to the Vikings on Tuesday regarding the team’s intended use of PSLs to partially finance the team’s $477 million contribution toward a new stadium. The Vikings have responded with a tactful, yet pointed, public statement.
“The Minnesota Vikings greatly appreciate Governor Mark Dayton’s support for the new multi-purpose stadium for the Vikings and the State of Minnesota. However, we are disappointed by his recent letter to the team, which does not recognize a key component of the stadium agreement struck by the Vikings, State and Local leaders this past spring,” the team says.
“The stadium bill, and the prior term sheet, that was negotiated with the Vikings over the last two legislative sessions by the Governor’s own representatives and legislative leaders, includes provisions that expressly authorize the sale of stadium builder’s licenses and include the proceeds of any sale in the project budget. Stadium builder’s licenses were vetted by the Legislature, testified to by Vikings and State of Minnesota negotiators, and most importantly, specifically reflected in the stadium legislation that was passed and signed by the Governor.
“The Vikings look forward to discussing this issue and moving forward with the agreement that was completed after many long years of effort.”
The statement doesn’t mention Dayton’s complaints about games being played overseas. As Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com explained earlier in the day, the stadium bill allows the Vikings to play three home games outside the U.S. in the first 15 years of the 30-year stadium lease, and three home games outside the U.S. in the second 15 years.
Bottom line? The Vikings have politely told Dayton to shut up and read the paperwork.