Browns, Brandon Weeden want to cut down on interceptions

Baltimore Ravens v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden is tied for the second-most interceptions in the league through the first ten weeks of the season.

Weeden’s 12 interceptions are tied with San Diego’s Philip Rivers and Kansas City’s Matt Cassel for second-most in the league. Only Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has thrown more with 13.

According to Tom Withers of the Associated Press, it’s an area that Browns head coach Pat Shurmur needs to see improvement from his rookie signal caller.

”Don’t throw interceptions,” Shurmur said. ”Done. End story. I want to be right to the point.”

It’s a message that Weeden hears loud and clear.

“That’s kind of been my priority since I played Pee-Wee football,” Weeden said. ”We never want to throw interceptions. My aggressive manner and mindset sometimes gets me in trouble.”

Weeden and the Browns travel to Dallas to take on Romo’s Cowboys this Sunday as the Browns look to snap an 11-game losing streak on the road. Weeden is completing just 55-percent of his passes on the season and has thrown for 2,088 yards and nine touchdowns for the season.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Browns, Brandon Weeden want to cut down on interceptions”
  1. thesportsguy52 says: Nov 14, 2012 11:55 PM

That is generally a good idea.

But I’m not just trolling. This kid-err adult- looked very impressive in both games against my Ravens. Work to do, though.

2. doublezero74 says: Nov 14, 2012 11:57 PM

Solid advice. Also don’t piss into the wind

3. specialagentjohnnyutah says: Nov 15, 2012 12:03 AM

That might be the most obvious headline ever.
    Pretty sure most QB’s aren’t looking for ways to increase their picks.

4. peterpickedapairofpeppers says: Nov 15, 2012 12:18 AM

In other news, the Eagles would like to fumble less. The Jets would like to score more and the Lions would like to lessen their probation.

But back to our main story….. The sky is blue and water is wet.

5. robh4marketingideas says: Nov 15, 2012 12:21 AM

I don’t even care to comment on this but I feel bad because it’s about my beloved Brownies and someone should pay attention to them.

Weeden, quit looking down your receivers from the snap and you might not throw so many picks! The line is giving you some time. Has Shurmer mentioned the “pump fake” to you, not sure he knows what that is but maybe you saw it on Madden?

6. thetokyosandblaster says: Nov 15, 2012 12:32 AM

What an odd goal.

7. irishnativeson says: Nov 15, 2012 12:47 AM

Picked by some to be the “most mature” then again he got drafted by CLE

8. brenenostler says: Nov 15, 2012 1:02 AM

Brandon Weeden still thinks it’s because of his ego.

9. huskersrock1 says: Nov 15, 2012 1:45 AM

This is the problem right here, work with him and teach him he is a rookie. “Don’t throw interceptions” Duh. Do they pay him for this level of coaching?

They should hire me I will be like “Grab the ball and run to the end zone, yea that line right there”

You know you can wish in one hand and crap in the other, guess which one fills up first.

10. murty77 says: Nov 15, 2012 3:17 AM

I like Weeden. Saw the Browns play in their first game this year and then I caught a game recently and you can definitely see improvements in his game. Seems like he has some hope. Only problem, he’s already 29…

11. cylondetector says: Nov 15, 2012 4:16 AM

PFT Exclusive : QB and Coach Agree; Interceptions Not A ‘Good Thing’

12. crj202 says: Nov 15, 2012 4:25 AM

Doesn’t take Inspector Gadget to figure out that a QB that throws a ton of INT’s wants to throw less…Why is this a story??

13. tuberippin says: Nov 15, 2012 4:28 AM

“Team, quarterback would like quarterback to suck less”

14. browniebuck says: Nov 15, 2012 5:44 AM

and on a related note, they would like to score more points than their opponent as well!!!

Anything else from the land of obvious? Josh Cribbs would like to give the team better starting field position? Trent Richardson would like to average more yards per carry? Greg Little would like to drop fewer passes? The Dolans would like to have more money in their pocket that they DON’T put back into their baseball team….OOOOOOPS, switched sports there!

15. browniebuck says: Nov 15, 2012 5:44 AM

forgot one…Pat Shurmur would like to have more play calls that actually pick up first downs on 3rd and short?

16. bigtrav425 says: Nov 15, 2012 6:15 AM

well as long as I consider him DA the 2nd..he is going to be trowing INT’s…iv stated for the last yr it does not matter who our QB is as long as we have horrible WR and right side of line,our QB will throw INTs and get killed

17. lucky5936 says: Nov 15, 2012 6:28 AM

Biggest “DUH” statement I have heard in a long time. I doubt any coach or quarterback are thinking they should toss more interceptions. Honestly though, what did they expect. Rookie QB, rookie RB, underwhelming offensive line, and young WR’s who can’t hold onto the football. THEN they have the nerve to expect Weeden to save their jobs by not throwing interceptions. I hate to say it, but if they expected this offense to shine this year, the coaches and front office were dillusional.

18. metspeed21 says: Nov 15, 2012 7:26 AM

Let him make plays. Shurmur’s been handcuffing him the past couple games and he’s too worried about interceptions. I was at the game against the Ravens and he was way too cautious.

19. spunjmunke says: Nov 15, 2012 7:41 AM

Slow news day, or just taking your daily pot-shot at the Browns?

You don’t want to throw interceptions? Well, maybe I’ll just file that nugget of information in the “No Sh*t” folder.

20. ryanpbrown1984 says: Nov 15, 2012 8:13 AM

Probably half of his interceptions are his WR’s fault. Weeden does need to make quicker decisions, but he isn’t doing to bad for a rookie.

21. nananatman says: Nov 15, 2012 12:33 PM

If there was a legitimate receiver, like an actual NFL receiver on the field with him at some point that might help. I’m a Giants fan and I think that dude should get at least another year.

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 16, 2012 9:40 AM

Weeden is a rookie so INTs are expected. So what is Romo’s excuse for throwing an NFL leading 13 INTs?

23. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Nov 16, 2012 10:14 AM

WOW!!!! What a novel idea.