Jeremy Maclin: Don’t say I eased off because I feared getting hit

Getty Images

Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin wants to make something clear: He didn’t back away from contact out of a fear of getting hit in Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys.

Maclin said today that FOX analyst Troy Aikman was wrong to suggest during the game that Maclin had been backing away from taking a hit on a play when Maclin went over the middle but failed to come up with a pass.

“It wasn’t like I was easing off because I didn’t want to get hit,” Maclin said. “I thought I couldn’t make the catch on the ball, so I was bracing myself for the hit. There’s nothing wrong with that. If you want to call that soft or scared, so be it. But anybody who’s been here, I’ve gone across the middle plenty of times, gotten hit and made plays. Simple as that.”

Maclin may not have been afraid, but it did appear that bracing himself for the hit was at least part of the reason he didn’t make the catch. It’s reasonable for an analyst to point that out.

25 responses to “Jeremy Maclin: Don’t say I eased off because I feared getting hit

1. Yep he eased off because if Sensabaugh wasn’t intent on knocking his block off he would have intercepted the pass. Sitting in our recliners it sure is easy calling guys out for not wanting to get concussed.

2. Two WRs with alligator arms! Nice.

Then you have Celek, who would charge head first into a mountain for a few extra yards. Maybe Maclin and Jackson ought to start hanging around a real football player?

Vick’s not that good, but his WR’s aren’t much help.

3. mikea311 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:44 PM
    so glad the Eagles traded up for this guy becuase they were afraid the Giants were going to pick him… LOL

Hakeem Nicks!

——————————————————————————-

Speaking if soft. I give you Hakeem Nicks. Has he played a full season yet?? Also, thier stats are pretty similar. I love Giants fans

4. So we’re not telling the truth now?

The Eagles have a couple of “Fragile Frankies” playing WR right now not very representative of their history and fans.

5. Dude really I’m a big Eagles fans as well, but Celek needs to cut out the drops that doesn’t help a QB either. Who cares if he charges head first into a mountain if he drops the ball.

6. Watching the play in both real-time and replay, two things were apparent to me: He DID ease off, because he knew he was gonna get whacked; and the ball wasn’t catchable, it was too far in front of him.

7. dallassux says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:59 PM
    mikea311 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:44 PM

Hakeem Nicks!

——————————————————————————-

—–

8. Boy it must suck for Eagles fans to hear former Cowboys calling their home games on Fox(Aikman and Johnston). I would just listen to the radio broadcast with the TV on.

9. Maclin made the correct decision….. There was no way he was getting to that ball, and making the catch. Why get blown up if you’re not gonna make the catch? I saw zero chance of him getting there in time to get the ball and make the catch. I watched the play 5 or 6 times, to see is he was playing like a “sally”, and I really don’t think he was.

10. jbl429 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:14 PM
    dallassux says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:59 PM
    mikea311 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:44 PM

Hakeem Nicks!

——————————————————————————-

—–

———————————————————————————-

If only rings were RELEVANT to this article. Typical Giants fan. Realized he make a stupid comment then went to the rings.

And we will never shut up. Sorry

Hakeem Nicks!

——————————————————————————-

—–

———————————————————————————-

And we will never shut up. Sorry

——————————————————-

Did someone mention rings?

x6

12. He definitely short armed it but I can see why. The ball was in a tough position to catch and the defender was going to hit him hard. It is possible he caught it but just as likely, if not more so, that it was deflected and intercepted or incomplete and him getting banged up.

13. “I love Eagles fans. You can always shut them up when you start talking about rings.”

Same reason I love Giants fans.