Jonathan Vilma rips Atlanta: “We always beat the Falcons”

AP

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma is not fond of the Falcons.

Vilma, who along with teammate Scott Shanle thought that the Falcons were “classless” in the way they acted before Sunday’s Saints-Falcons game, has added that he doesn’t feel the need to boast about beating the Falcons, because that’s par for the course for the Saints.

“We’re not going to sit here and keep talking about how we beat the Falcons,” Vilma told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “We always beat the Falcons. Our team is 11-2 since Sean [Payton] got here.”

Vilma said that when both teams are on the field for pregame warmups, there’s usually mutual respect shown. But that wasn’t the case with the Saints and Falcons on Sunday.

“They were the complete opposite,” Vilma said. “It kind of rubbed us the wrong way. . . . You don’t usually see that. It’s not a major issue, it just got under our skin, but we won, so we’re done with that. If they want to do it again, that’s their business, but act like you’ve been there before.”

Vilma said the Falcons were talking trash to the Saints, and when Vilma approached a Falcons assistant coach to say he didn’t appreciate the way the Falcons were asking, the coach told Vilma there was nothing he could do.

“He said ‘Well I don’t have any control,'” Vilma said. “And I just thought ‘Well that says something about you and your program.'”

With Vilma finally healthy, and with his appeal of the yearlong suspension the NFL gave him in the bounty investigation ongoing, he says he’s ready to go for the rest of the season. It sounds like he’s particularly looking forward to the game two weeks from tomorrow, when the Saints and Falcons meet again.

68 responses to “Jonathan Vilma rips Atlanta: “We always beat the Falcons”

1. Sounds like the Saints are planning on some more bounties for the upcoming Falcons game. Watch out Matty Ice! You are being targeted. My guess is it’s 10K to take you out of the game.

2. I guess since the falcons weren’t getting any respect from the national media…they all decided to overhype themselves up and trash talk their way to a victory against the Saints…as usual, it has backfired, Falcons couldn’t take advantage of a coachless team having a down year is really pathetic and falcon players whining and giving excuses for the loss tells me this falcon team is immature…Roddy says, we gave them the game..that is so disrespectful and ignorant so I assume those 8 teams the falcons beat gave them the game also…Falcons and that entire organization are Sore Losers!!

3. So when did he rip them?

You only provided quotes as to him saying their factual record against the falcons. Maybe you forgot to put in the part where he ripped them.

4. Vilma said. “And I just thought ‘Well that says something about you and your program.’”

Really that just came out of his mouth??? WOW!!! Too bad the Saints don’t ONLY play the Falcons so that they didn’t suck so much.

5. Can’t they just accept victory and keep their mouth shut? they have another game with the falcons in 2 weeks. This stupid crap is why I like that Pats. Most of the time they keep their their heads down and their mouths shut.

6. This is to the saints, and espically Vilma and Scott Shanle, I wouldn’t really talk trash about my FALCONS, because first they have only lost one game, you guys can’t say the same

7. Vilma: “It’s not a major issue, it just got under our skin, but we won, so we’re done with that.”

yeah, sounds like it Vilma! new orleans has quickly become the team everyone loves to hate

8. jonathan vilma I like your attitude however we need to channel those feelings towards the next opponent( the raiders) …the falcons for now are in our rear view mirror. Like coach said after the falcon victory “great win…celebrate for the next 20 minutes..then focus on next opponent.

9. You know what else is classless? Paying people to hurt other players and knock them out of the game. Pot, meet kettle

10. “He said ‘Well I don’t have any control,’” Vilma said. “And I just thought ‘Well that says something about you and your program.’”

Hey Vilma…. Glass houses?!!!

11. And besides that our coach or not coordinator didn’t pay or team players to hurt other players on other teams just to get a win. And you want to talk crap about the Falcons. Just because they do what they do and that’s play with heart and have fun doing it, as other teams do, but I guess not yall, all yall are good for is whining and complaining and taking money to hurt other players on different teams. Where’s your coach, Oh my bat, he’s not there, because he got caught.. So you need to worry about yourself and stop talking trash and just play..you don’t see the falcons talking trash, they play, they do there best, they play with heart…. What about you Saints do you?

12. I’m tired of hearing about Vilma. He has this football fan’s permission to take the rest of the season off from the media.

13. You know, this is just plain not smart by Vilma.

Like ’em or hate ’em, trash-talkers or not, the Falcons are a very talented team, and there is no good reason for Vilma to say these kinds of things about them since the Saints have to play them again this year, and twice every year after that.

If I was Joe Vitt, I’d try to find some way to fine him for gross stupidity or something.

14. Who cares? I mean every team has a player or two who trash talks. The Falcons have Mr. White and now we have Mr. Vilma. It’s time to move along…nothing to see here.

15. “theres something wrong with your program” ahahahahaha when did vilma become a model citizen. Such a hypocrite its unbelievable.

16. We beat the Falcons ……….AGAIN.
    Not a big deal, it’s a common occurrence.
    Just be quiet and move on to the Raiders

17. Oh and just to make something very clear, the superbowl that the saints won back in 2009 was a blood tainted superbowl, meaning when your defense coordinator has to pay his players to hurt other players from different teams to win, espically a superbowl, is a dang shame..

18. ripster65 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:57 PM
    “We’re not going to sit here and keep talking about how we beat the Falcons,” Vilma told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.”

yet his next sentence is “We always beat the Falcons. Our team is 11-2 since Sean [Payton] got here.”

shut up

19. They won. Congrats. I’ve never seen a group whine after winning like the Saints always do.

You know what’s more annoying than sore losers? Sore winners.

Enjoy having your tainted Lombardi and your beloved coach leaving you for Dallas, Saints fans.

20. I’m glad to see all the people who ripped Roddy White for trash talking about the Saints are in here ripping Vilma for the same. Oh, wait, they’re not. Let’s see what happens in 2 weeks.

21. Other teams have said the same thing about the Falcons. It must be an organizational/institutional thing, the way they are being coached. One could argue that it works, to a point… One could also argue that you should respect other teams. They all know on any given day any team can beat any other, that is the NFL, but the one thing you don’t want to do is give another team extra motivation.

22. Yes we lost so what, by 4 points… But we are still at the top, because we are loyal fans..you act as if you destroyed us, again 4 points..WOW that’s a big win to brag about..and at least my team didn’t lose to the Cheifs and the panthers, and got blown out by the Denver Broncos..

23. Wait a minute…weren’t the Saints recently one free agent signing (Drew Bres) away from becoming the Los Angeles Saints?

5 Good seasons do not wash away 40 years of crappy football.

24. Yes that’s true about respect, but respect is earned, not just giving… Every team head at least one team that they have a beef with. But as I recalled it, I do remember a couple of times a falcon player did indeed helped a saints player off the ground. And Coach Mike Smith also gave the saints respect and props for there win during an interview…what more does the saints want….

25. “He said ‘Well I don’t have any control,’” Vilma said. “And I just thought ‘Well that says something about you and your program.’”

As a Saints fan, I take offense to people saying Vilma is a hypocrite for saying this. Our coaches had complete control of our bounty system.

26. paulitik74 says: Nov 14, 2012 1:00 PM

You know what’s more annoying than sore losers? Sore winners.

======================================
    thanks for the congrats… I dont know about anyone else here but coming from YOU that says alot!
    will not comment on the fiction that follows

27. Saints haters are back…that means they’re worried about us…lmao….we always beat the Failcants…classic…well done, Vilma….

28. Saints fan here. I love Vilma’s identification with the Saints, and I agree that the Saints play the Falcons well, though both teams normally make it a close game.

That said, the Falcons are the clear leaders of the division. Respect where it’s due.

29. @ flvikesfan says:Nov 14, 2012 12:02 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    Yea too bad they don’t only play the birds – boy that would easily be a perfect season of wins.
    Birds are way to over rated!

30. @ selenecrear says:Nov 14, 2012 12:10 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    Hey genius – thats the whole point, the birds LOST to a team that has struggled this season & are playing without a Head Coach – so it surely is not saying too much of your team.
    Don’t care if the Saints lose all the next games – Just let it be known they stopped your winning streak – no one else but the Saints.

31. selenecrear says:
    Nov 14, 2012 12:54 PM
    _____

32. @ selenecrear says:Nov 14, 2012 1:16 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
    Don’t care if only 4 points or 40 or just 1 – Saints still won (bottom line baby-you lost)
    Heck yea its something to brag about – your team is playing with a full time head coach and the Saints still beat you.

33. So now a corrupt player on a corrupt team who played in at a corrupt college and is suspended on a corruption charge is the arbiter of class?

34. He didn’t like the mean things the Falcons were saying, so he told on them? He didn’t like his suspension from the league, so cried to a judge? How old are you Vilma? Way to add tattle-tailing and no-fairsies to your resume. Here’s a thought, maybe just keep the trash talk on the field and take your punishment like a man.

35. skinsfaninnebraska

Under normal circumstances I would agree. But, we own them. And, they know it. And, as far as they being talented being concerned. If I were you I would check their schedule. They played Denver and they beat them before Payton began playing like the Old Payton. If you remember Dallas should have beaten them the week before they played us. And, they’ve had other close calls. In a few weeks we’re going to go to Atlanta and beat them again. Because; at the end of the day they’re not metally strong.

36. I don’t like either team, but maybe Roddy White should’ve thought twice before claiming they’d go undefeated! Save that talk for when you can actually win your first playoff game.

37. ““He said ‘Well I don’t have any control,’” Vilma said. “And I just thought ‘Well that says something about you and your program.’”
    ——————————————–
    Vilma actually said this, LMAO as I am sure every NFL fan outside of Nawlin’s is doing.

38. @cowboycjn…… Yes we lost, we know that, we don’t need you telling us..but you don’t have nothing really to say considering the cowboys haven’t been to the super bowl in 17 years, that’s right…. And there not doing that great this year.. So if I was you, I would worry about your own team… And not mine….

39. Keep on believing buddy. If it makes you feel better at night to fantasize about how your team could’ve won that year help yourself. Your positive thought is inspiring albeit delusional. This is @ ilovefoolsball, I don’t have to fantasize about nothing.. I believe in my team, I have faith in my team, and I am not BUDDY, my name is Selene can’t you read…….

40. I’ll be the first to admit my falcons for years didn’t do to good, but with a great coach, good coordinators, and a hard working team, and lots of practice, we managed to fly high, rise to the challenges, that’s what NFL is about, its not whining, complaining, cheating, disrespecting or paying your team to hurt others.. Everyone talks about respect, well respect is earned, not giving.. Yes I’m a loyal and true fan of the Falcons, win or lose. Born a Falcon fan, Fire a Falcon fan….. That’s true loyalty…..

41. I’ll be the first to admit my falcons for years didn’t do to good, but with a great coach, good coordinators, and a hard working team, and lots of practice, we managed to fly high, rise to the challenges, that’s what NFL is about, its not whining, complaining, cheating, disrespecting or paying your team to hurt others.. Everyone talks about respect, well respect is earned, not giving.. Yes I’m a loyal and true fan of the Falcons, win or lose. Born a Falcon fan, Die a Falcon fan….. That’s true loyalty…..

42. Vilma is just stating the actual facts. Roddy White on the other hand states nothing of any substance.
    Falcons have the Saints inside their head. We own them pretty much.

43. Big Saints fan here!
    Just want to say I wish that Vilma wouldn’t say anything. It makes him look as bad as Roddy White. Roddy has to be the whinest player ever and I don’t want Vilma to go here.

44. Funny how the only team to taint a superbowl and the only team to have a HC suspended for a year (not including the stealing of vicadin) can talk about “class”. Class is having your coach live in another city because yours has too much stench.

45. paulitik74 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 1:00 PM

You know what’s more annoying than sore losers? Sore winners.

—–
    Read this, paulitik74…AND WEEP!!!!!

46. The only thing the Saints own is a tainted superbowl. The coach will not even live in that vile city. When the vicodin ran out he left.

47. The New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons been doing this for a decade, for tickets sales. Now it done lead to fans and players going after one another but the NFL is the one making the money. These are 2 NFC south team who always battled to see whose the better team in the South division. They are not out to hurt one another and its not about bounty its good sportsmenship between both team some players on Atlanta Falcons team take it personal that’s not good sportsmenship. This why when these 2 teams meet you have a full house so we as fans and players let’s not take this game out of contents. Just like the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins its all about a sell out.

48. @ cowboycjn, asublimeday,neauxgeaux44……….first is first cowboycjn you need to worry about your cowgirls, you have nothing to say here, and second to the other two you know not a dang thing about the Falcons, you just like to talk because it makes you feel big.. But the truth is yes the saints won who gives a crap, there still a bunch of winning, complaining children… This is NFL not peewee football….and as for the packers, 49ers, the giants and etc, you don’t know what can happen, but I do know that the packers got booed off there on field last year..you people talk so much crap, and DON’T even know your faces…and yet you still have something to say…… Falcons 8-1, Cowboys 4-5, Saints 4-5, packers 6-3,Gaints 6-4……….what’s that have to do with the price of cotton….they are doing there best, without whining and complaining, but that doesn’t mean anything..its about how well you play and how much you want it….that’s for all teams. Not just the Falcons…

49. It seems to me that the saints and there fans have the FALCONS in there head, Not us Falcons or FALCON fans, we have moved on.. the saints and there fans should do the same………