Peyton is nailing down his next $40 million

Denver Broncos v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning soon will be able to buy a lot more pizza franchises.

Overlooked in the stunning performance of the four-time MVP is that he has all but guaranteed that the Broncos will opt to unlock the next two years of his contract, which will guarantee Manning another $40 million with only one small caveat.

Sure, he signed a five-year, $96 million contract.  But the thing was written to give Denver an out after one year.  If the Broncos choose not to pull the plug, they’ll pay Peyton $20 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014, unless during the 2013 season he suffers an injury to the exact area of his neck that required a quartet of surgeries.

“By no means was it a slam dunk,” Elway recently told the Associated Press regarding the decision to roll the dice on Manning.  “But we knew after we did our homework and looked at the situation, it was the best thing for us.  We were willing to take that risk.  There’s always risk to it, but we liked our chances.”

It’ll be less of a risk to sign on for another $40 million over two more years.  Given the way Peyton is playing, $40 million over two years could end up being a bargain.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Peyton is nailing down his next $40 million”
  1. broncobeta says: Nov 14, 2012 7:37 AM

The way he’s playing now, he looks like he could go fulfill all 5 years of the contract and collect every penny of that $96 million.

2. beergeekjoey says: Nov 14, 2012 7:37 AM

spent all his money on pizza – he needed to recharge the old wallet.

3. wayne1693 says: Nov 14, 2012 7:42 AM

I think Peyton’s amazing Doctors deserve a nice cut!

4. theclaim says: Nov 14, 2012 7:42 AM

Me too

5. sportsmeccabi says: Nov 14, 2012 7:46 AM

How much money does one man need?

6. gloxford says: Nov 14, 2012 8:04 AM

Pay the man

7. ddogdaddy says: Nov 14, 2012 8:20 AM

When he is done playing all of us will be able tell our kids and grandkids that we were lucky enough to see Peyton Manning, the greatest QB of all time play the game.

8. cereal blogger says: Nov 14, 2012 8:25 AM

Is he cutting the hours of his Papa Johns employees ?

9. christophershearin says: Nov 14, 2012 8:26 AM

i thought this was going to be an article about how he will rack in 40 million selling pizzas to pot heads, you know since colorado legalized mary jane……….

10. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Nov 14, 2012 8:33 AM

But Raider,Charged, and Chiefs fans said he was done and his neck would snap on the first hit. Where are all you scrubs now.

11. adderalljack says: Nov 14, 2012 8:35 AM

Dude deserves it!

12. fuddpucker says: Nov 14, 2012 8:40 AM

Peyton has played amazing this year.

Show him the money!!!

13. dexterismyhero says: Nov 14, 2012 9:03 AM

Better neck cartilage

Better head movement

Papa Peyton’s

Booyah!!!!

14. broncosnative says: Nov 14, 2012 9:03 AM

sportsmeccabi says: Nov 14, 2012 7:46 AM

How much money does one man need?

Don’t judge a guy unless you know his personal life, Peyton has done positive with his earnings helping ill children and a few other charitable organizations. Besides, its his money and if he wants to buy more pizza chains then so be it. Manning is one person you’re not gonna see on mtv cribs

15. patsdrukker says: Nov 14, 2012 9:03 AM

I sure hope he will play all his contract years. He is the greatest and I’m a Patriots fan. He is not nervous that way as Brady is in loosing situations. He is two rings short of Brady but I can’t sense the urgency of need in winning at least one more ring as I clearly can feel it in Tom and Bill’s case.

Peyton has a shot at Favre’s records. Remember what the Colts were without him last year? Remember what the Broncos were before him in the last 5 years? No-one makes such a difference in the NFL like this fela.

I want my Patriots to win one more with Brady but I would like to see this guy too for 5 more years in the league!

16. Daboys says: Nov 14, 2012 9:06 AM

“I think Peyton’s amazing Doctors deserve a nice cut!”

Trust me, I am sure they have been paid NICELY…..

17. dkrauss93 says: Nov 14, 2012 9:27 AM

Happy to see Peyton back and better then ever. I personally thought he was done and the Broncos had too much hype just to disappoint but I was wrong. He is one of favorite players and since my team is out of playoff contention I will be rooting for Peyton Manning to win. I mean if your team is out, who shouldn’t root for one of the best, if not, the best QB of all time whose coming off major neck surgery leaving a team he’s been with his whole career and missing one full season win a championship.

18. icanspeel says: Nov 14, 2012 9:31 AM

I know the Colts are happy with Luck, but I would guess they didn’t really expect Peyton to come back and play at this high of a level.

19. killxswitch says: Nov 14, 2012 9:46 AM

As a Colts fan, I am happy for him. I think taking Luck was the right decision, but it looks like signing w/the Broncos was the right decision for him too. He has a better team in Denver, an OL that can protect him and run block, a defense that can give him more opportunities. And look at the result, after 4 surgeries and approaching 40. Imagine if he’d had a complete team like he has now, but in his late 20s and early 30s.

20. malvaren18 says: Nov 14, 2012 9:52 AM

I rather see manning win 2 more rings then break all those records, I bet you he does too.

21. jjackwagon says: Nov 14, 2012 10:00 AM

I hate the Broncos but would love to see Peyton get another ring just to end the Manning vs Brady argument. He would be the only QB with Superbowl wins with two different teams.

22. jgava19 says: Nov 14, 2012 10:07 AM

And I am sure the Colts didn’t expect to get the production they are getting out of Luck so soon, either. 2 game lead for Wild Card.

23. taintedsaints2009 says: Nov 14, 2012 10:36 AM

All for throwing a football. It will never cease to amaze me. Sense of accomplishment through vicarious living is out of control in this country.

24. Steeler's Will-enator says: Nov 14, 2012 10:38 AM

Worth every penny and more.

25. stoolerz says: Nov 14, 2012 11:31 AM

At the rate Papa John’s is losing money and closing up stores, he might need to extend that 5 year contract

26. justintuckrule says: Nov 14, 2012 12:04 PM

The worst audible he has ever called in his life is buying into that horrible pizza company. Has anyone ever eaten Papa Johns? PJ’s is to pizza as Tebow is to QB-ing. Both terrible.

27. crewdawg says: Nov 14, 2012 12:16 PM

Pats fan here, but I can respect Manning one of the all time greats and has always seemed to be a pretty good team mate for the most part. Hope he plays all 5 of those years.

28. justintuckrule says: Nov 14, 2012 12:34 PM

For as loaded as PM is, the dude seems pretty down to Earth and approachable. Anyone hear the miked-up segment when some nameless defender busted his chops over an awful hook slide? Pretty funny stuff and he took it in stride.

29. huskersrock1 says: Nov 14, 2012 12:44 PM

I have always hated Manning ever since I lived in knoxville in 1994, always reveling in his failures. However, I cannot bring myself to dislike him now. Watching him run the Bronco offense is like watching a great artist.

Besides I like everyone better than Farve. I hope he resets all of Farves records.

30. dlmcc1010 says: Nov 14, 2012 1:21 PM

sportsmeccabi says: Nov 14, 2012 7:46 AM

How much money does one man need?

As much as someone is willing to pay him. when you possess a skill set that only a handful of people on the planet are able to match, then you deserve to be paid generously for it.

31. beedubyatoo says: Nov 14, 2012 1:44 PM

A win-win-win-win situation.

Denver-Indianapolis-Manning-Luck.

32. chris6523 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:02 PM

It always amazes me when people complain about what pro athletes are being paid while also bitching about ticket prices. Last I looked it wasn’t exactly cheap to go to a music concert featuring a major act. Disneyworld is expensive as hell. Probably would cost you at least $100 to go see the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and that baby has been playing for a quarter of a century. But it is somehow wrong for a football player to earn huge bucks?

33. malvaren18 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:03 PM

So far it looks like Denver got a really good deal for the best QB in the world.