Roethlisberger: Shoulder not the biggest worry

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger avoids the pursuit of Kansas City Chiefs' Houston during the first quarter of their NFL football game in Pittsburgh Reuters

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday the sprained right shoulder that was the immediate concern isn’t his biggest worry.

Roethlisberger told reporters he also dislocated a rib Monday night, and that doctors were concerned it could cut into his aorta. He said he didn’t think it was a season-ending injury, but when you start talking about an aorta, this clearly goes beyond the “rub some dirt on it” treatment.

I don’t think so, I don’t know though but I’m not a medical expert,” Roethlisberger said, via the Associated Press. “I just know I’m going to do what I can to get back.”

Roethlisberger said he’s still in serious pain, pegging it as “nine on a scale of 1-10.”

He said he’s slept a total of four hours over the last two nights, and wore a sling to talk to reporters because doctors don’t want the rib jostled out of place while it heals.

“I can move [the arm] around, that’s not the issue,” Roethlisberger said. “Sometimes when I do move it the rib will kind of pop out of place again, which is pretty painful. I just try to keep it as still as I can for the most part.”

The Steelers announced earlier in the day that Byron Leftwich would start this week, and from the sounds of things, perhaps longer.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Roethlisberger: Shoulder not the biggest worry”
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:01 PM

if its that bad he needs to shut it down for the year. think long term one hit to the ribs and your life could change…

2. firejc says: Nov 14, 2012 2:01 PM

Drama Queen.

3. hummer53 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:03 PM

Big Ben better think long and hard. He has a child on the way. He has had a great career and 2 rings. Just sayin.

4. kisstherings says: Nov 14, 2012 2:03 PM

This is the same injury Drew Bledsoe got when Mo Lewis hit him. Bad news. He will be out awhile.

5. marshmellon says: Nov 14, 2012 2:04 PM

Steelers are done.

6. j0esixpack says: Nov 14, 2012 2:04 PM

Dude needs to work on getting rid of the ball quicker.

The QBs that seem inclined to hold onto the ball and take hits and sacks also seem to be the ones suffering the most injuries.

Coincidence? I think not.

7. gordoom says: Nov 14, 2012 2:06 PM

As a ravens fan it simply wont be the same without ben out there. Am I happy hes out? yes. But It wont be the football game I wanted to see at the start of the season.

8. ajc33635 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:07 PM

Cue the idiots with the drama queen remarks. Pretty serious injury.

9. draculalambert says: Nov 14, 2012 2:08 PM

God I love this guy. Que the Rocky music.

10. yeeeeeep says: Nov 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Ravens 4-0 vs steelers without ben…
    all games decided by 7 pts or less…
    this one will still be a battle…

11. dragus84 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:10 PM

I would never wish injury on anyone…. but since he’s already injured and on our up coming schedule.

I kinda hope he plays it smart and sits out the season. Or at least until after week 15.

Signed – Desperate Cowboys Fan

12. southpaw2k says: Nov 14, 2012 2:11 PM

A dislocated rib that could potentially puncture the aorta definitely sounds season-ending to me. I don’t see how a rib could simply be put back into place the way a dislocated shoulder could be (and it’s worth noting a dislocated shoulder can sideline a player for several weeks too). I hope the Steelers team doctors advise Ben to sit out the rest of the season, and if there’s some kind of surgery that can fix the rib, go ahead and do it.

13. jeffa43 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:12 PM

Same injury to Rams WR. Drs said the same thing, and he was back in 4-5 weeks.

Career? You guys posting this are nuts. It will heal, and it will be the same rib as all the other players in the league.

Drama Queens are the people posting on here.

This drama queen is tougher than most LB’s in the league. You can hate it, but its the truth.

Facts, just saying…..

14. Steeley McBeam says: Nov 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Still think hes a drama queen?

Nah.

15. rockthered1286 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:15 PM

I’m not saying he’s done for the year, but I cannot imagine this injury keeping him out any less than 3-4 weeks. Regardless of opponent, the Steelers are better off keeping him healthy and hoping he gets back towards the end of the season in one piece. They have a cupcake schedule to finish out the year but I guess that comes with the territory of finishing BEHIND the Ravens in the AFCN last year (and this year of course).

16. dezno24 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:16 PM

Every defensive lineman will want to put some “hot sauce” on those ribs now!

17. easydog100 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:17 PM

I’m certainly not a Steeler fan, but he is a credit to the game and I never want to see players injured. Hope he has a full recovery ….

18. zerole00 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:31 PM

Wait, can someone explain to me how you dislocate a rib? It’s not like a shoulder where there’s a joint, it’s part of a cage. I can see a fracture or break, but dislocation? Sounds painful.

19. geniusfan says: Nov 14, 2012 2:45 PM

Sunday Night Football just got a lot less interesting.

20. karla36 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:48 PM

Guess I just have to repost. This will not stop Collinsworth from doting on him. Maybe he will talk about how wonderfully Ben is walking the sideline. So over the man crush (not that there’s anything wrong with that) just am tired of hearing it!!

21. rocketcrab says: Nov 14, 2012 2:59 PM

__________________________________

I was wondering the same thing. But then again, I tore cartiledge in my rib cage once, and I thought that stuff was only in joints. Hurt like blazes, so I imagine he’s in a lot of pain.

22. jimiinpa says: Nov 14, 2012 2:59 PM

at least till the raven’s games are over

23. eyedocjay says: Nov 14, 2012 3:01 PM

didn’t Romo have some life threatening rib injury and play the next week? I say give the guy some “adderall” and he’ll be fine

24. southpaw2k says: Nov 14, 2012 3:06 PM

zerole00 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:31 PM

————————————————-

Tried posting a response to your question a couple times, not sure what the problem is.

I did some reading online about dislocated ribs, and they typically occur during contact sports like football and rugby. Interestingly enough, people who suffer from arthritis are also susceptible to dislocating ribs. They are VERY painful, and that’s usually the first sign of a problem.

It’s worth noting that the normal healing time for such an injury is around six weeks, in addition to whatever time is needed for an athlete to get back into playing shape. Based on that estimate, I’d say Ben is likely done for the year.

25. mostlombardisintheleague says: Nov 14, 2012 3:08 PM

So Charlie Batch is our only backup ? If Leftwich goes down, then what ?

26. ravenator says: Nov 14, 2012 3:24 PM

The biggest worry is that the ravens will sweep and win the division. Oh and yes this is guaranteed

27. thebonus44 says: Nov 14, 2012 3:31 PM

Ravens 4-0 vs steelers without ben…
    all games decided by 7 pts or less…
    this one will still be a battle…
    ———————————————–
    How do you account for last years 35-7 beatdown WITH Ben? I can cherry pick stats, too.

28. steelerben says: Nov 14, 2012 3:42 PM

mostlombardisintheleague says:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:08 PM
    So Charlie Batch is our only backup ? If Leftwich goes down, then what ?

——————————————

Then someone gets cut or sent to IR and another QB is signed. No QB on the practice squad right now, but David Garrad wants everyone to know he’s healthy.

29. lp0320 says: Nov 14, 2012 3:47 PM

To all posters who say Ben’s a drama queen, I say, it’s better to err on the side of caution. What jeopardize your entire career or your life for that matter.

As an aside, I think the Steelers should start Batch because he is a more complete back up and most likely understands the new offense better than Lefwich. But, Byron will probably go down in the first half and Batch will save the day.

30. footballfan says: Nov 14, 2012 3:47 PM

rockthered1286 says: Nov 14, 2012 2:15 PM

************

Basically what the Ravens has for several seasons before this one!

31. bmoreballbuster says: Nov 14, 2012 3:50 PM

Don’t you need a heart to injure one?

32. ottomanismydog says: Nov 14, 2012 3:50 PM

thebonus44 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 3:31 PM
    Ravens 4-0 vs steelers without ben…
    all games decided by 7 pts or less…
    this one will still be a battle…
    ———————————————–

———————————-

Lol wasn’t that the game after the Ravens lost to the Steelers in the playoffs.

33. brownsince64 says: Nov 14, 2012 4:05 PM

How does a rib puncture the aorta? The aorta runs next to your spine. The rib would either have to be dislocated from your spin or have to drive through all your internal organs from the front to get to your aorta.

Ben has a flair for the dramatic…

34. johninthewest says: Nov 14, 2012 4:12 PM

Steelers are done for the year! Oh well maybe next year!

35. johninpa says: Nov 14, 2012 4:16 PM

Sorry to see Ben injured, but us Steeler fans have a lot of faith in Leftwich and Batch.

The bigger problem is the injury rate in the NFL these days. How many quarterbacks went down this week. Three with concussions and Ben. That’s just quarterbacks. It’s no longer the best teams getting to the playoffs, it’s what teams are luckiest to survive the season relatively intact. I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s got to change somehow.

36. realityhater says: Nov 14, 2012 4:51 PM

*********
    brownsince64 says:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:05 PM
    How does a rib puncture the aorta? The aorta runs next to your spine.
    *********

Where do you think the ribs are connected? They connect at the sternum and……THE SPINE. Browns fans are smart.

37. realityhater says: Nov 14, 2012 4:54 PM

********
    j0esixpack says:
    Nov 14, 2012 2:04 PM
    Dude needs to work on getting rid of the ball quicker.
    ********

That was definitely true under Bruce Arians. Under Todd Haley’s offense, it’s not the case much any more. He was on pace to have the fewest sacks of his career. This was one of those fluke injuries since the hit didn’t look all that bad.

38. t8ertot says: Nov 14, 2012 5:12 PM

Cue the “cue” comments

39. donz0 says: Nov 14, 2012 5:59 PM

grabbing Leftwich off WW in FF. Byron’s gonna shred!!!

40. timmons94 says: Nov 14, 2012 6:01 PM

Ravens play good for once and they r great now. Please. Flacco is awful. Steelers win. Ravenator cries in parents basement

41. tbd3 says: Nov 14, 2012 6:03 PM

I like to rag on Big Ben’s injuries and his limping around on the field. But, damn. It could cut his aorta? That’s scary stuff.

42. mwindle1973 says: Nov 14, 2012 6:14 PM

What people aren’t getting is it is one the ribs close to the clavicle. It could be the clavicle itself, and he is just misstating things. It’s similar to the Rams WR that had it earlier this season, but appear to be more severe. In most dislocations in that area the clavicle or rib is pushed outward from the joint. In Big Ben’s (and the Rams WR whose name I can’t spell) the clavicle or rib collapsed inward toward the lungs. The aorta runs right up through there

43. Henry says: Nov 14, 2012 6:17 PM

Great, this gives Tomlin a gift-wrapped excuse to have a lousy season!

44. kev86 says: Nov 14, 2012 6:46 PM

Tebow to Steelers?

45. kev86 says: Nov 14, 2012 6:53 PM

On bright side, we don’t have to listen to ridiculous MVP campaign anymore. Steeler fans jinxed Big Ben.

46. jsherer74 says: Nov 14, 2012 8:33 PM

Raven’s fans…do something in the post season then talk…Always the bridesmaids never the brides!

47. koenig61 says: Nov 14, 2012 10:13 PM

Hey ravenator go read terrel suggs post about ben, maybe you could learn something. I like when the players talk about each other, because they at least respect each other. Ray Lewis always talks about his respect for the Steelers, because just like the Ravens the Steelers also play the game as it was intended. Now Suggs steps up and shows his admiration and respect for Ben. Don’t think that for one minute these players don’t want to beat each other, but they also have a healthy respect for one another.

If only the fans could have that same respect and enjoy on of the greatest rivalries of all time.

It seems Suggs doesn’t think Bens a drama queen. Seems more like Suggs understands just how tough Ben is.

It would be nice to see how Suggs or Lewis would react to someone like the ravenator when the ravenator calls Ben soft or a drama queen. I bet suggs and lewis would like to take ravenator out on to the field and show him how much of a man it takes to play in the NFL

48. pftcensorssuck says: Nov 14, 2012 10:41 PM

Drew Bledsoe says “Shut up, Ben”

49. washstnative says: Nov 15, 2012 9:23 AM

johninpa says:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:16 PM

+++++++++
    The way teams practice after the new CBA is possibly one of the problems. If I remeber correctly these guys aren’t on the practice field like they were last contract. Concussions not included of course…

50. ocgunslinger says: Nov 15, 2012 9:41 AM

Not a fan of Ben off the field but on the field is another matter all together. The guy is a great QB and one that any team would want to have on their roster. He plays through pain (it comes with the position) and makes clutch plays.