Bears announce Jay Cutler’s out this week

Getty Images

The Bears did the expected Friday, announcing that quarterback Jay Cutler would not play this week because of the concussion he suffered Sunday.

That means Jason Campbell gets the start against the 49ers Monday night, and we await word on who will be across from him, as Alex Smith’s status hasn’t been declared.

Cutler hasn’t practiced this week, while Smith has in a non-contact jersey, which indicates he’s further along in his recovery.

52 responses to “Bears announce Jay Cutler’s out this week

1. If Alex Smith is out as well and with these 2 defences we could see a 6-3 game.

Shame, but these 2 teams have a great shot at meeting in the post season with hopefully healthy QB’s

2. Better to play it safe in the long run.

Wish Cutler & Smith a speedy and healthy recovery.

Two solid teams go at it on MNF. Doesn’t get better than that.

3. Let me beat Lovie to the punch on this one: If Campbell goes down Monday night and the Bears lose it will only be because Josh didn’t have enough prep time. Worked for Campbell last week, should work for Josh this Monday. Last year Lovie learned very little from the Hanie misadventure about getting the backups ready before they are needed.

4. Smart move by the Bears, no need to rush Jay back for one game, which promised to be a defensive struggle in any case…That said, I hope that the drop-off between Cutler and Campbell isn’t too great to overcome, especially if Smith does get to start for SF.

5. the bears only hope to stay in the game is if they have a game plan that fits what campbell does best. but since they can’t seem to be able to plan one around what Cutler does I am not to optimistic.

6. As a Bear fan who lives in the bay area, I have seen first-hand what happens every time the Bears visit San Francisco- they usually lose in ugly fashion. Of course it’s a different story when the teams play in Chicago, but I already chalked up another “L” here before the season started. So really this is a great week to rest Cutler, and spare him from multiple sacks/interceptions on national t.v.
    As for the rest of America: You might not want to watch this game. It’s bound to be a lackluster, punt-filled contest with plenty of offensive ineptitude and conservative play-calling by both teams.

7. If the league wanted to cut back on hits like the cheap shot Dobbins did in the Sunday night game.
    They should make the player who intentionally caused the concussion to sit out as many games as the concussed person.
    If they started missing game checks for their cheap shots they might look where they are hitting.

8. To the haters: I’m willing to bet that Jay really wants to play in this game. He’s one of the toughest QB’s in the league.

I guess it will be nice to see what Campbell can do after some reps.

Still excited for MNF, get well soon Cutty!

9. Ah, well.

The Packers would have eventually caught up to the bears. May as well be this weekend.

10. drinkdabeers says: Nov 16, 2012 1:30 PM

“To the haters: I’m willing to bet that Jay really wants to play in this game. He’s one of the toughest QB’s in the league.”

Well-said…Thank you.

11. as a niner fan i want the bears at their best to play our 49ers, I believe our niners can beat the bears at their best. I can just see it now ” they didnt have cutler” blah blah. Hey east coast, the west coast giant is back and youre going to have to end the east coast bias!!

12. If Campbell plays like he did when he started for the Redskins, he’ll have a fumble or two that will cost the Bears the game.

13. I think SF would be stupid to play Smith on Monday..I watched that game and he was out of it. Cutler wasn’t as bad but still better safe than sorry.
    I admit I was a little dissappointed by Campbell’s performance, but the conditions were really nasty too.
    McCown was looking pretty confident in the preseason, and wouldn’t take much to get him up to speed. Would be interesting to see what way the Bears go. Either guy could do the job.

14. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Nov 16, 2012 1:52 PM

————————————————————–

LOL!!!!!! One key ingredient is missing from the 49ers formula for a winning a super bowl title…the HOF QB!! Alex Smith isn’t winning a Super Bowl

15. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:
    Nov 16, 2012 1:52 PM
    ———————–

Last I checked, Chicago was as Midwest as you could get.

Is California already cutting education to fill that GIANT hole in their budget?

16. Bears fans don’t worry. If Alex Smith plays he will be only one good shot away from done for the night so I figure that half way through the first quarter Kaepernick will be calling the plays.

17. I think the Bears fans are in for a bit of a come down. Their defense is good, but not as great as everyone thinks. They won a bunch of games by getting a bunch of turnovers/pick-sixes and then making the other team one dimensional.

When that does NOT happen, they are pretty ordinary as a team. And their 0-line is pretty suspect.

Expect the next 7 games to not be nearly as dominant.

You can only have multiple turn-over/pick-6 games so often.

I remember years ago when the rode just such a season all the way to 12-4. And they were ONE and DONE in the playoffs.

18. crappygovernment says: Nov 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Imagine how formidable SF would be if cowardly, greedy, Peyton Manning had gone there instead of Denver to displace outspoken Christian Tebow.

———————————-

What’s done is done. Can’t go back in the past. How many super bowls would the 49ers have if they had drafted Jake Plummer instead of Jim Drunkenmiller, or more recently, taken Aaron Rogers instead of Alex Smith?

19. I’m a Packer fan, but I wouldn’t write off the Bears just yet. Campbell didn’t look good last week, but it’s rare that a new backup is going to light the world on fire coming on in relief. To me he was playing as if the only gameplan was “don’t turn the ball over”.

With a week of prep and a gameplan, he at least has an outside chance of performing servicably. I mean I remember when Matt Flynn came in versus the Lions in 2010 and he didn’t look like he belonged in the NFL. After a week of practice as the starter, he looked competent.

20. I look for the 9ers to win a low-scoring game. The Bears are in the midst of a steady diet of run-first, tough defense teams (Texans, 9ers, Vikings, Seahawks, Vikings).

It will be interesting to see how they fare after losing to Houston. I think these teams match-up well to the extent they limit the opportunities for points-off-turnovers for the Bears defense, and force the offense to win games.

21. Campbell’s 4.7 yards per attempt, 7.8 yards per completion are Gabbert territory… you can’t win in this league without throwing the ball down the field.
    Lifelong Bears fan, but with Campbell, they have no shot against the Niners unless they score 3 times at least on special teams and D.

22. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:
    Nov 16, 2012 1:52 PM

———–

I seem to recall the East Coast Giants knocking SF out of the playoffs last year?

23. thetokyosandblaster says:
    Nov 16, 2012 1:43 PM
    Ah, well.

————————————————————————

Dude, worry about the Pack beating the Lions in Detroit this weekend, Mattews is out. The Bears are going to be more successful against the Pack when they come to Soldier field late December, a game that will have serious playoff implications and by then, Cutler will be in a winning streak once again.

Bears !

24. Ok. Call me overly cautious, but with these defenses it would probably be smart to keep both Smith and Cutler on the bench for the sake of your long term success.

25. This is not a guarantee win for the niners because the niners defense has been complacent lately. Giving up around 450 total yards against the rams is unacceptable. Until Willis and bowman start playing with more tenacity the run game will be a factor for the bears. Niners need to make the bears one dimensional and make josh win by throwing the ball. The same can be said for Alex smith. But the winner will be determined by time of possession and playing mistake free football, that also includes less penalties.

26. I think the Bears still win this game ! I don’t think Alex Smith can win against their defense and Jason Campbell will hold his own .and by the way I am not a Bear fan

27. bman69 says:
    Nov 16, 2012 1:06 PM
    Jay.. call Ben. He can show you how to come back…….
    ===================================

Ben…. call Jay.
    He can show you how to get a hot woman without whipping out your gray “little Ben” like a drunken frat boy.

28. niner13 says: Nov 16, 2012 5:06 PM

“Dang it. Now the Bears have an excuse.”

Won’t need an excuse when they win…Go Bears!

29. This is why I hate Lovie right here!
    he sat back an listened to to media
    and everybody else talking about Cutler’s concussion and to saticefy everybody else he is sitting Cutler out. the 49ers aint gone sit Smith out. hes playing Monday. I hope emery fire Lovie Monday night. dont wait.

30. Hey genius, it’s not Smith’s call. Cutler wasn’t medically cleared to play by an independent physician. If you want to hate Lovie for something, hate him for not letting Campbell play the entire second half against TN when the Bears were spanking them. Campbell needed those game situation reps and there was no reason to keep Cutler in that game.

31. Lovie has NO respect with the refs or the Media. he lets the refs make any calls they want against the team. Lovie dont get in the refs face. Nine years and NO melt down at the mic after the game? the Best coaches has all went off on the media before.