Well, it beats “no comment.”
“Back up off me, bro,” Hall said, via Mike Jones of the Washington Post.
That was as he came off the practice field, after he didn’t welcome questions during open locker room earlier in the day. He apparently stayed on his cell phone, before walking past reporters without any statements.
Hall said previously that he thought the official was “equally at fault,” but so far there’s been no indication the official has been sanctioned in any way.
“The NFL came in here and talked to a number of players and got their opinions of what happened out on the field,” Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. “[Hall] had a chance to talk to a number of people from the NFL. Merton Hanks, [the NFL’s assistant director of operations], was here. It’s always good when the NFL steps up and comes over here and gets a chance to hear a player’s side of the situation.”
Hall’s official fine letter said he was fined “for flagrantly violating league rules prohibiting abusive conduct toward game officials,” and said he could be suspended for future incidents.
“Your abuses in the October 28 game were captured on tape and witnessed up-close and repeatedly on national television,” the letter said. “It was bad enough that you were vulgar with the officials, but it was particularly disturbing that after the first encounter with the officials, instead of separating, you repeatedly went back towards the officials to continue your tirade. . . . You should clearly understand that any type of future abusive conduct toward game officials will result in escalated discipline, which may include suspension for conduct detrimental.”
Hall has three days to appeal the fine, and you wonder if he’ll ask the league to “back up off” its harsh punishment.