James Jones’ past drops wind up working out for Packers

Packers wide receiver Jones celebrates his touchdown against the Cardinals with wide receiver Driver in the first half during their NFL football game in Green Bay Reuters

Packers wide receiver James Jones hasn’t dropped a ball yet this season.

That’s worthy of noting for a player who led the NFL in drop percentage over the last three seasons. Plenty of those drops caused frustration in Green Bay, but there’s not much frustration now with Jones’ 40 catches for 462 yards and eight touchdowns. To hear Jones tell it, the Packers wouldn’t be enjoying any of this year’s production without all of those drops in past seasons.

Jones says that when he was a free agent before last season, he heard from other teams that their doubts about his hands kept them from pursuing him seriously.

“They didn’t feel like I could catch a ball. They didn’t feel like my hands were good enough,” Jones said, via Tyler Dunne of the Milwuakee Journal-Sentinel. “When I play those teams, I have a little bone to pick with them.”

Jones wound up re-signing with the Packers for three years for a salary that’s allowed the team to address other needs, something that’s come in handy for them this season with Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson battling injuries that have kept them out of various games. A few more catches in the past might have made that impossible and certainly would have made it more expensive, which makes those drops seem a little less painful in hindsight.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “James Jones’ past drops wind up working out for Packers”
  1. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 16, 2012 10:42 AM

Oh, do you have a bone to pick with those teams, Jimmy? Yeah, how dare they suggest that you didn’t have good hands. How dare they notice that you led the NFL in drop percentage over three seasons. What does that have to do with how good your hands are? Yeah, you’d better be mad at them because it’s all their fault!

2. gregm5s7 says: Nov 16, 2012 11:18 AM

You left out the part where Aaron Rodgers publicly stated he wanted Jones back (which, as expected, received some flak for speaking up). My opinion was good enough for Rodgers, good enough for anyone else!

Glad to see him still on the Pack and playing at a very high level.

3. beedubyatoo says: Nov 16, 2012 11:20 AM

His teammate, Rodgers plays with a chip on his shoulder also, and all that’s gotten him is MVP’s for both the Super Bowl and the entire NFL.

Shame on you James.

4. granadafan says: Nov 16, 2012 11:26 AM

Another player with a false sense of outrage about those other teams. Frankly, he’s very lucky he’s lasted in the NFL this long. Any other team would have cut him years ago.

5. burnttoast71854 says: Nov 16, 2012 11:29 AM

There is no accountability with athletes ask Deangelo hall it’s always someone else’s fault. It’s learned behavior.

6. gnarlswoodson says: Nov 16, 2012 11:38 AM

Love how the first comments a Purple team fan. James Jones with the drops is still better than any receiver on the Vikings. And its not even close. Ill give credit where credit is due when Percy Harvin can stay on the field for a full season, which is never ever gonna happen and we all know it. Looking forward to introducing you guys to a man named Randall Cobb. Soon enough, soon enough.

7. titogetmesometissue says: Nov 16, 2012 11:54 AM

@samanthsteele

c’mon man, enough with the negativity. James Jones is having a great year, wish he was on our squad.

8. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 16, 2012 12:08 PM

gregm5s7 says:

You left out the part where Aaron Rodgers publicly stated…..
    ——————————————————
    Asking for more of A-Rodg publicly stating anything? Please no. He’s had a career’s-worth already.

9. dannymac17 says: Nov 16, 2012 12:50 PM

LOVE the James Jones hate.

He has been a diamond in the rough for my fantasy team, and i thought i would NEVER say that.

10. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 16, 2012 1:16 PM

titogetmesometissue says:Nov 16, 2012 11:54 AM

@samanthsteele

_____

tito, I think you’re confused. James Jones does play for your squad. I’m a Viking fan.

11. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 16, 2012 1:27 PM

James Jones is a BEAST. And you vik fans will soon find that out.

12. lonzolin says: Nov 16, 2012 1:35 PM

I will be the first to admit. I was a big Jones basher. Because of his dropped passes. He has developed into a major player for the Packers offense. Maybe Finley could take notes.

13. titogetmesometissue says: Nov 16, 2012 1:49 PM

samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:Nov 16, 2012 1:16 PM

titogetmesometissue says:Nov 16, 2012 11:54 AM

@samanthsteele

_____

—–

I think I know who I cheer for. I grew up on the purple people eaters (Page, Eller, Larsen, and Marshall). From the tenor of your comments, I’m going to guess that you started cheering for the Vikes when Brett Favre was signed.

14. gpack17 says: Nov 16, 2012 3:03 PM

Not really getting all the James Jones hate. Guy understands his hands weren’t good enough, and he’s worked hard to improve his focus. Now he’s proud to show the teams who didn’t pay him that he does have good hands (dude’s made some eyepopping grabs this year); I don’t see the part of his quote that’s got everybody all irritated and saying that he’s blaming his own problems on others. If anything, his season’s been a testament to the value of manning up.

15. judsonjr says: Nov 16, 2012 3:07 PM

I love James Jones at the current price, not sure if I’d like him at $5-6M a year.

What I like: He has a knack of getting open, can make some incredible plays, not injury prone.

What I don’t like: Seems to make mental mistakes. I can’t really point to any this year, but in the past he has done things like:

- Casually run out of bounds short of a 1st down, forcing a 3rd and short

- Carry the ball in the wrong hand along the sideline

- Go out of bounds (unforced) in a situation where the goal was to keep the clock running..did this in the Super Bowl.

To me, this irked me more than the dropped passes. He was kind of making rookie mistakes a few years into his career.

16. tozzi7 says: Nov 16, 2012 4:15 PM

This guy has stepped up huge this season. His drops were very frustrating which unfortunately for him overshadowed the fact he had nice production for a 3rd or 4th WR on the depth chart. Glad you are still in GB James and having a great season to silence critics!

17. brewdogg says: Nov 17, 2012 2:01 AM

gnarlswoodson says: Nov 16, 2012 11:38 AM

——————————————

1) It happened last year, putz. In fact, counting last week’s Lions game, he has missed 4 out of a possible 60 games. Unlike many Packers players, when he does get banged up, he gets back on the field instead of taking the rest of the year off….

2) We already met Mr.Cobb. Twice. 4 rec, 43 yds, and 2 fumbles combined. We’ll be more than happy to discuss and compare Cobb to Harvin when Cobb’s career averages (3 rec, 36yds/game) can match Harvin’s WORST season (4rec, 53yds/game).

18. thetokyosandblaster says: Nov 17, 2012 1:57 PM

Wait, are we bringing Ol’ Headache into the conversation again?

Harvin doesn’t want to play in minnesota, so I don’t know why you keep bringing him up. He’ll be long gone when his contract is up, and sign with any one of the 29 better teams than the Vikings (Chiefs, Jags excluded).

Beyond that, Vikings will end up 6-10.

Happy Saturday!