Amendola’s willing to do anything to avoid another tie

Danny Amendola, Donte Whitner AP

Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola was just the latest NFL player to get McNabb-ed, to not know that a tie was a possibility.

But even if it meant playing all night, he said he’d rather see anything than having to walk away with half a result.

Amendola said he was genuinely surprised to learn there wasn’t going to be more football when his team and the 49ers played a scoreless 15 minutes, and people started walking away.

“We’d never practiced or talked about going into a number of overtimes,” Amendola said, in an interview with USA Today’s Mike Garafolo. So I was just getting ready for the next one. I honestly didn’t know a game could end in a tie. Call me stupid, but I don’t give a [expletive].

“I don’t agree with ties. It is what it is, I guess. I’m upset we tied. We should’ve won and they could’ve put it away. Either way, we could’ve had an outcome. I don’t know. Maybe they should change the rule.”

Asked for a preferred method, Amendola suggested “Play until somebody wins the game,” although that flies in the face of player safety. “I don’t care. Then have a shoot-off or something,” he said.

“It’s just not a good feeling at the end of the game when nobody wins,” he continued. “We put all this time and this effort in, put our bodies on the line for five hours. Essentially, something needs to happen so somebody wins. That’s just how I feel about it.”

We agree; if for no other reason than to keep players from being embarrassed by not knowing why.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
16 Responses to “Amendola’s willing to do anything to avoid another tie”
  1. bigbadal21 says: Nov 17, 2012 12:33 PM

Losing is one option if he is willing to do anything.

2. nananatman says: Nov 17, 2012 12:45 PM

Hahaha.

3. m1kehawk says: Nov 17, 2012 12:50 PM

Yeah…ties blow!

4. lennydpocketqb says: Nov 17, 2012 12:57 PM

He has a point. You play to win the game. Hello?

5. patfic15 says: Nov 17, 2012 12:58 PM

Cant believe these guys don’t know the rules of their own game.

6. profootballwalk says: Nov 17, 2012 1:36 PM

How about a punt-off? Punt from the 40 yard line, team that downs it closest to the goal line wins. Punters and special teams guys need the love.

7. db105 says: Nov 17, 2012 1:39 PM

The new OT rules will create more tie games.

8. nflsucker says: Nov 17, 2012 2:01 PM

How about this? If the overtime period ends in a tie, as last week, then each team gets one offensive play from the opponent’s 1o yard line, and they have to score a touchdown. If neither team scores, or both do, then do it again. And again, until one has scored and the other hasn’t. Game over, with a victor and some exciting play.

9. kingpel says: Nov 17, 2012 3:01 PM

Notice that when Amendola says this is just isnt quite as entertaining as when McNabb said it. People just couldnt wait to make him look like a big dummy.

10. roadtrip3500 says: Nov 17, 2012 3:38 PM

“I honestly didn’t know a game could end in a tie. Call me stupid, but I don’t give a [expletive].”

Not stupid. Sad, actually.
    And Jeff Fisher has been on the Competition Committee for how long… so it’s not like the coach didn’t know – I’d imagine at some point he may have told his players about this.

11. jdphx says: Nov 17, 2012 4:02 PM

Yeah…ties blow!
    —————————-

Agreed… I haven’t worn one in years!

12. bkell2012 says: Nov 17, 2012 4:23 PM

I totally understand Amendola not wanting to end the game with a tie. Any competitor knows that is no way to end a game. There has to be a winner and a loser. This is pro sports not elementary mighty mites.

13. spicyjimbolaya says: Nov 17, 2012 5:17 PM

I wonder what Amendola’s Wunderlink score was.

14. alildusty says: Nov 17, 2012 5:57 PM

2 pt conversion sudden death. coin toss for first go and if they make it game over if not other team and so on.

15. rams1999 says: Nov 17, 2012 7:05 PM

The 2 pt. Conversion idea that alildustycame up with is perfect. They can go to that after the OT period ends in tie. Perfect.

16. ramcountry says: Nov 18, 2012 5:41 AM

So get on your teammates, Danny.

Because truth be told, the NFL’s OT rules isn’t why that game ended in a tie.

Rams had an 80 yard pass completion, 62 yard punt return, and game winning FG wiped out by penalties. That game never should’ve ended in a tie; but the Rams and 49ers allowed it to happen.

“It’s not a good feeling?”; Well, good. Lesson learned here-you only have so many opportunities. Put the game away when you have the chance.