Skip to content

Gun charges dropped against Rolando McClain

Oakland Raiders v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

Earlier this year, Raiders linebacker Rolando McClain was convicted on charges stemming from the allegation that McClain pointed a gun at the man and then fired it next to his head.

Sentenced to 180 days in prison, McClain appealed to the next level, which under Alabama law meant that the process began from scratch.

Now, the charges have been dropped.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, a judge in Alabama has dismissed the case because the alleged victim has opted not to proceed.

It’s unclear why the alleged victim has opted not to proceed, but it’s reasonable to wonder whether a confidential settlement of all civil claims has been reached between McClain and the alleged victim.  Under this scenario, the alleged victim receives a cash payment, and the alleged victim agrees to withdraw all charges.

Likewise, it’s not reasonable to assume McClain is out of trouble with the league office.  Though McClain doesn’t have a history of personal-conduct policy violations, the league takes gun issues seriously (as evidenced by the fact that the league fines players who pretend to fire guns after scoring touchdowns).  Like the league did in the Ben Roethlisberger case, the NFL could choose to do its own investigation and impose its own punishment, regardless of whether the charges have been dropped.

Indeed, there was enough evidence to secure a first-level conviction of McClain in court.  All the NFL needs to is read the transcript of sworn testimony and come to a conclusion as to whether McClain should be fined or suspended.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Gun charges dropped against Rolando McClain”
  1. doe22us says: Nov 18, 2012 11:19 AM

    Someone got paid!!!!

  2. msclemons67 says: Nov 18, 2012 11:19 AM

    A story about a Raider?

    You shouldn’t waste your time on non-factors.

  3. mojodoa says: Nov 18, 2012 11:21 AM

    First round bust. No fire, no desire no future in the NFL.

  4. dawsonleery says: Nov 18, 2012 11:32 AM

    Now Reggie McKenzie will drop McClain from the roster.

  5. souldogdave says: Nov 18, 2012 11:34 AM

    Nothin’ but a shake-down. Y’all pay the “administrative” fines and the shake-down money and it will all go away…

  6. ukraiders says: Nov 18, 2012 11:50 AM

    just draft Manti Te’o and replace this guy. paying him that money to get replaced by Burris in nickel situations which in this day and age is almost your regular defense.

  7. westcoastraider says: Nov 18, 2012 12:03 PM

    Maybe dude really was telling the truth and was innocent the whole time.. I’m just sayin,

  8. billhicks666 says: Nov 18, 2012 12:15 PM

    westcoastraider says:

    “Maybe dude really was telling the truth and was innocent the whole time.. I’m just sayin,”

    Wow. Raider fans will believe anything.

  9. bnutz44 says: Nov 18, 2012 12:49 PM

    Now if you can just learn how to read your gap duties….

  10. racerx1225 says: Nov 20, 2012 4:46 AM

    I saw the video, there is no sign of him holding a weapon and the guy who initially testified against him was coerced by authorities. Money grab, plain and simple.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!