Jerry Jones downplays Sunday chat with Holmgren

Jerry Jones AP

Mike Holmgren’s tenure with the Browns doesn’t officially come to an end until the year is out, so he was in Dallas with the team on Sunday.

After a week filled with talk about Holmgren’s interest in coaching the Cowboys and Jerry Jones’ appreciation of Holmgren’s reported interest in the team, Holmgren’s presence obviously drew some attention. Of particular interest was whether Holmgren’s conversation with the Cowboys owner before the game had any relationship to the chatter. After the game, Jones said that it wasn’t anything other than two guys who have known each other a long time chewing the fat.

“Well, we had the visit that we always have when he comes, when I come to where he is. We’re good friends. We served for about seven or eight years on the Competition Committee together,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “We visited about all the things that we normal visit about. He’s a really, apart from being an outstanding coach, he’s a heck of a man. He’s got a lot of character and I can’t tell you how much I respect him. When you’re close like that and spend a lot of time with somebody, familiarity can breed contempt. It’s just the opposite with him. Every time I’ve been around him he’s gone up.”

Jones’ flattering words about Holmgren won’t do much to quell attempts to link Holmgren to the Cowboys coaching job. That talk is going to exist whether Holmgren and Jones go on a road trip to Graceland or never speak to one another, though. The only way discussions about a new coach are going to fade away is if Jason Garrett is able to steer the Cowboys into the playoffs over the final six weeks of the season.

Not getting there may not guarantee him a spot on the unemployment line, but it will guarantee that speculation about a coaching change will, like Jones’ feelings for Holmgren, keep going up.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Jerry Jones downplays Sunday chat with Holmgren”
  1. bigjdve says: Nov 19, 2012 11:32 AM

Does it really matter? He is going to do what he wants to do no matter what anyone says anyway.

2. wwwfugu says: Nov 19, 2012 11:42 AM

Why are we listening to what this particular billionaire says?
    Does anyone believe anything he says? I don’t.

3. davekva72 says: Nov 19, 2012 11:57 AM

If you aren’t gonna admit you need a new coach, maybe your “pal” can convince you he’d be a better GM than you. Who am I kidding? Jerry will be GM for life, and I’m guessing he’ll live to be 110.

4. olewize1 says: Nov 19, 2012 12:10 PM

it is HIS team… HE can do what HE wants.

5. dontasemebro says: Nov 19, 2012 12:24 PM

Soon to join the ranks of the most hated people in Cleveland. Ladies and Gentlemen…I give you the new head coach of the Dallas Cowboys…Mike Holmgren!

6. hor2012 says: Nov 19, 2012 12:55 PM

Well, I guess Jason had better get his resume updated. I really hate this. I’m a Saints fan but I don’t the JG is really a bad coach. But, I really think that this is a done deal. SP won’t take the job without personal authority. And, Jerry won’t hire Rob because he’s to high strung. It’s Mike. The only issue is if Tony will be given a few more years as the starter or is it over for him as well

7. dumbpollack says: Nov 19, 2012 1:01 PM

Leave now, Big Show! Take your qb (Weeden) with you! Good luck with that o line Dallas has, jerk!!!

8. nflrule says: Nov 19, 2012 1:11 PM

What is the fascination with Mike Holmgren?He had Brett Favre in his prime.Did nothing after that and had a bizarre sendoff from Seattle where he also did nothing.Please.

9. rcali says: Nov 19, 2012 1:11 PM

Jerra wants final say on personnel decisions and so does Holmgren. Holgrem won’t be Jerra’s boy toy like Garrett. Should be interesting next year for you Cowboy fans.

10. folkcrusader says: Nov 19, 2012 1:17 PM

The Walrus can’t fix that mess.

11. lockdog82288 says: Nov 19, 2012 2:58 PM

What Holmgreen had out there Sunday looked alot better than the unmotivated bunch we had out there in the first half!!

12. bigbluefan1 says: Nov 19, 2012 4:46 PM

No other GM /owner is in front of the Mic as much as this clown.

All he has done was build the Giants a second home stadium The house that Eli built.

13. jprcox says: Nov 19, 2012 5:27 PM

Take a cup of water, and a cup of oil and mix them together. That is how well these two will get a long.

I am shocked there is even the speculation these guys would work together. Jones is a heavy handed owner/gm, and Holmgreen is a heavy handed coach. Something has to break – and Jones owns the team. This is bad.

14. philjr2012 says: Nov 19, 2012 8:50 PM

Dallas is the most over rated team and QB they will never win with Romo

15. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 20, 2012 4:26 PM

If I were you Jason Garrett, I would be updating my resume.