NFL morning after: How I learned to stop worrying and love overtime

Jacksonville Jaguars v Houston Texans Getty Images

I used to think that I, and I alone, knew the perfect solution to the question of how overtime games should be decided. Nine years ago this week, I wrote about my proposal to reduce the importance of the coin toss in the NFL’s system of sudden-death overtime. I called it splitting the overtime pizza, and I was sure that I had come up with the original and perfect solution for overtime, by letting one team choose the yard line for the overtime kickoff, and then letting the other team choose whether to kick or receive.

There were a couple of problems with my original and perfect idea: One was that it wasn’t original, as I later learned that others had proposed similar overtime solutions. The other is that it must not have been perfect, because no matter how hard I tried to explain that my system was the fairest method of resolving a game that’s tied at the end of regulation, I usually just got confused looks when I talked about it.

Still, I soldiered on, and as the NFL adjusted its system of overtime, tweaking the pure sudden-death format and eliminating the ability to win on a field goal on the first possession, I would stubbornly insist to anyone who would listen (a diminishing number of people) that my way of overtime was the better way.

And then I sat there watching the three overtime games going on simultaneously at 4:30 on Sunday afternoon, thinking to myself that I couldn’t remember the last time I enjoyed an afternoon of football so much, and I realized I had been hoist with my own petard.

Yes, the NFL’s overtime system is wonderful.

The new rule, which largely keeps the sudden death format but adds the provision that a team can’t win with a field goal on the opening possession, really is the best of both worlds. It has the excitement of knowing that the game can end on any play, which was always the best part of sudden death, but it gets rid of the games when the team that receives the overtime kickoff just picks up a few first downs and plays it safe as soon as it gets into field goal range, which was always the worst part of sudden death. That change to sudden death overtime, which the NFL implemented for the playoffs two years ago and expanded to include the regular season this year, adds a strategic element and just generally makes overtime more fun.

It was a lot of fun on Sunday, when three of the eight early afternoon games went into overtime and we got to see three different ways that an overtime game can end:

1. The Texans became the first team in NFL history to score twice in overtime: Houston received the overtime kickoff and marched down the field on a 14-play, 73-yard drive that culminated with a field goal, which under the old rules would have ended the game — and the old rules would have deprived us of a great overtime period after that. The Jaguars received the ensuing kickoff and went on an 11-play, 53-yard drive that culminated in a field goal of their own. That tied the game, and from there the next score would win. We then saw a wild sequence in which Texans quarterback Matt Schaub threw an interception, which was followed by the Jaguars getting stopped for no gain on four straight plays and turning the ball over on downs, which was followed by Schaub hitting Andre Johnson for a game-winning 48-yard touchdown pass.

2. The Buccaneers received the overtime kickoff and were forced by the new rules to try to score a touchdown, rather than settling for a field goal. The Buccaneers were in field goal range after four plays, but they didn’t settle for a field goal right then and there, instead running four more plays and winning the game on the opening possession with a touchdown pass from Josh Freeman to Dallas Clark.

3. The Cowboys and Browns traded punts on their opening drives, but the Cowboys had won the field position battle by driving 39 yards on their opening possession and then punting deep into Cleveland territory and holding the Browns’ offense to three-and-out. Once each team had possessed the ball, it was sudden death from there, and on the third drive of overtime, the Cowboys needed to go just 28 yards to set up Dan Bailey’s 38-yard game-winning field goal.

When I watched all three of those thrilling overtime endings back-to-back-to-back, it was impossible not to love the way the NFL does overtime. Sunday afternoons don’t get much better than that.

The three simultaneous overtimes were my favorite part of Sunday’s NFL action. Here are my other thoughts:

Give Rex Ryan credit. After a week in which the NFL media wrote the Jets off for dead, called their locker room a circus and generally acted like they were the biggest joke in the NFL, Rex Ryan had his team playing very hard in a 27-13 win at St. Louis. This Jets team has all kinds of problems on offense, but Ryan has always done two things very well as a coach: Design defensive game plans, and get his team to play hard when their backs are against the wall. The 4-6 Jets probably aren’t going to make a playoff run — losing Darrelle Revis for the season was devastating to the defense, and the talent on offense just isn’t there — but Ryan isn’t driving a clown car. He’s running a football team and doing a pretty good job of it.

Ken Whisenhunt’s failure to figure out the quarterback position will be his undoing. It’s surprising that Whisenhunt, who was known as a smart offensive schemer during his time as an assistant coach, has so thoroughly botched the quarterback position during his tenure as a head coach. Early in his tenure as the Cardinals’ head coach, Whisenhunt failed to see what should have been obvious, which is that Kurt Warner is a much better quarterback than Matt Leinart. Eventually Whisenhunt realized Warner was the man for the job, and Warner got the Cardinals to a Super Bowl. But after Warner retired, Whisenhunt again failed to find a quarterback, playing musical chairs among Derek Anderson, John Skelton and Max Hall, before the Cardinals made the disastrous decision to trade for Kevin Kolb. Whisenhunt’s latest decision at quarterback was to bench Skelton on Sunday in favor of Ryan Lindley, who proceeded to throw away an early lead, completing nine of 20 passes for 64 yards and losing a fumble that was run back for an Atlanta touchdown. After the defense carried the Cardinals to a 4-0 start, the Cardinals have now lost six in a row, and Whisenhunt is in jeopardy of losing his job because he couldn’t find anyone to play quarterback.

The Eagles have given up on the season. Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is a great talent, but the Eagles’ defense made him look like Joe Montana as he completed 14 of 15 passes for 200 yards and four touchdowns. Philadelphia coach Andy Reid is about to get fired, and the Eagles have a whole lot of guys who look like they don’t care.

What was Belichick thinking? Deep in the fourth quarter of the Patriots’ 59-24 win over the Colts, coach Bill Belichick kept many of the Patriots’ most important players on the field, even though the game was out of reach. I’m baffled that Belichick would expose key players like Tom Brady (who was throwing passes with a 28-point lead late in the fourth quarter) and Rob Gronkowski (who broke his arm on the Patriots’ last extra point) to injury at a time when the Patriots already had the game locked up. Brady emerged from the game unscathed, but Gronkowski’s injury is a major blow to the offense. With the Patriots having a quick turnaround before playing the Jets on Thanksgiving, Belichick should be resting his players, not working them overtime. Leave the overtime to the teams that have to play overtime, coach.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
20 Responses to “NFL morning after: How I learned to stop worrying and love overtime”
  1. nokoolaidcowboy says: Nov 19, 2012 6:55 AM

The tie column is there for a reason. Eliminate overtime. Then sit back and watch teams play their hearts out for 4 full quarters.

The implications for leading in their division as well as the playoffs would be REALLY interesting to see.

2. williamxl22 says: Nov 19, 2012 6:58 AM

A lot can happen in 15 minutes. I always felt like the NFL should do away with sudden death and just have an extra quarter for overtime. Fair to both teams.

3. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 19, 2012 7:16 AM

Robert Griffin is the best QB to step on an NFL field since Johnny Elway retired. For anyone to deny this undisputable fact at this point just plain unfairly has something against RGIII. Talent and IQ wise, no one comes close. I’m honored that he will lead my Washington Redskins to glory in this next decade.

4. ausernamethatisavailable says: Nov 19, 2012 7:29 AM

Hate to see players get injured but as a Steven Ridley owner who lost to a gronkowski owner this week, I feel as though belichek got what he deserved. Give Ridley the damn ball and milk the clock!

5. orndorf2 says: Nov 19, 2012 7:43 AM

Great call on Whisenhunt. They had the Falcons in their back pocket – – – 6 turnovers—-and couldn’t close them out. The Defense held the Falcons “high powered” offense to 1 TD! And gave the Cardinal offense short fields several times. Why Skelton looked so unprepared that he was benched is baffling????

6. madtolive5 says: Nov 19, 2012 8:42 AM

Not like the Pats are one of the worst 4th quarter teams in the NFL right now. It isn’t like they struggled to close out wins vs Buffalo, Denver, Jets and lost 4th quarter leads to Seattle, Baltimore.

7. spicymudbugs says: Nov 19, 2012 8:58 AM

Never have understood why coaches keep their best players in the game when it’s clearly out of reach. Why does Gronk even play special teams to begin with?

8. conormacleod says: Nov 19, 2012 9:05 AM

I would tweak the rules just a bit. Both teams should be guaranteed one possession in OT, regardless if the first team gets a TD. Once both teams have had the ball (which could be a defensive TD to win game immediately) then it’s a sudden death format. Under the current rules, the team that wins the coin toss can still win right away, albeit with a TD and not just a FG.

9. azvikefan says: Nov 19, 2012 9:11 AM

Whisenhunt should be fired today. That was some pathetic coaching yesterday.
    Sure the QB’s couldn’t make plays but…

10. eezyxyz says: Nov 19, 2012 9:38 AM

I thought that the NFL should simply get rid of OT in the regular season, and that if they were going to have it then there was nothing wrong with the old sudden death system. Teams kicking off could always play defense if they didn’t want the game to end on one possession, and history showed that the outcomes of games was pretty close to 50-50 between teams kicking off and receiving.

Here’s my favorite stat on the new OT rules: the team receiving the ball first is now 12-3-1 under the new OT rules. So, yeah, based on evidence, the new rules are LESS FAIR to the team kicking off first!

(yes, yes, still early, small sample size etc. I still think that’s funny after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over how unfair the old rules were to the team kicking off)

11. tcostant says: Nov 19, 2012 9:49 AM

I love the new OT rules. The only thing I would do didn’t a TD is scored first; I would give the other team one chance to match that TD; but I’m spliting hairs – HUGE improvement from past years…

12. joecb91 says: Nov 19, 2012 11:07 AM

That would have been a blowout win for the Cardinals if Kolb was playing. He is MUCH better than any other QB on their roster.

13. justintuckrule says: Nov 19, 2012 11:27 AM

14. tvguy22 says: Nov 19, 2012 2:14 PM

Any chance we could call the new overtime rule “The McNabb Rule” in honor of the rules genius?

15. derklempner says: Nov 19, 2012 2:40 PM

@justintuckrule:

“The NFL instituted OT to begin with to avoid ties. With these new rules, you’ll see more ties. The rules are too hokey. Play a 7 min period and be done with it.”

I agree, although I’d like to see a 10-minute overtime period. Play the full 10 minutes and the score at that point stands – tie or no tie.

16. Gabbo says: Nov 19, 2012 2:51 PM

I dislike the new OT rules. They make it more likely the first possession team gets a better result. They will always have more possessions. If you want teams to play more to win, just have no overtime. Ties are ok.

Like yesterday, all 3 teams that scored first in OT won. All you do is extend a regular season game which doesn’t have to be extended in the first place. You can’t mock the Gronk injury while not mocking the OT changes. He sat out the entire 4th quarter except the XP he came in for.

17. klaykaspar says: Nov 19, 2012 4:39 PM

I don’t like the immediate sudden death if it’s still a tie after each team gets a possession. This puts you right back to the old OT rules where the team that gets the ball first in OT has an extra possession. If this is OK then why change the rules in the first place.

I am a proponent of the original OT rules and would argue that extra possessions shouldn’t be a complaint. If a team scores on the final drive of regulation time with no time left and they’ve had the ball one more time than their opponent the game is still over. The other team doesn’t get another chance to score because they had the ball one less time.

If a team gets a good kickoff return in OT and drives far enough to kick a field goal then they beat you. You don’t deserve to win.

18. burtburtman says: Nov 19, 2012 5:25 PM

The new OT rules are still unfair – I favor the 5th quarter/sudden death approach = simply keep the game going with possession/field position staying the same. This eliminates the worst thing about OT (the coin flip) and presents some awesome scenarios – ex: say the Eagles, down 24-17 to the Bears, score a touchdown with 10 seconds left. Do they go for 1 and the tie, knowing that the Bears will get the ball back with a chance to win, or do you go for 2 to win in regulation? At least they can decide their fate rather than rely on winning a coin flip. Also, this would eliminate teams just running down the clock to get to OT instead of trying to mount a drive. Is there a downside to this that I’m missing?

19. toooverbearing says: Nov 19, 2012 6:34 PM

My thought is, treat end of regulation as a change in quarter and still keep it sudden death. Whoever has possession at the end keeps it with the same down, distance and field position that they ended with. That’s great if it is 1st and 10 at your opponent’s 25 yard line, but not so good if it is 3rd and 13 at your own 6 yard line.

What I like about this is the down, distance, and possession are all earned and not based on luck. Also, no one will kneel on the ball during a tied game and takes the coin flip out of the equation.

20. epetk says: Nov 19, 2012 10:02 PM

Tight ends block on field goals. That’s always been the case and it’s not logical for the Saints and Patriots to carry an extra guy to protect Gronk or Graham. Great job looking like a genious after the fact. I’ve never heard you bring up this concern before….because you’ve never even noticed.