Newsome: “We believe Ed clearly tries to play within the rules”

81541760-e1322677391395 Getty Images

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome sent out word on Ed Reed’s suspension being overturned on appeal, and he’s clearly glad Ted Cottrell was the one who heard it.

“The league has an appeal process to review situations like this, and Ed had his opportunity to answer questions about his play. Ted Cottrell, a long-time NFL defensive coach, reviewed Ed’s play. Ted is the arbitrator approved by both the NFL and the NFL Players Association, and he made the decision.

“I think John [Harbaugh] and his coaches do an excellent job of teaching the right, safe and legal way to play football, and we believe Ed clearly tries to play within the rules on every down.”

So for his effort, his one-week suspension, which would have cost him $423,000, has been knocked down to a $50,000 fine.

The biggest loser in this deal (other than Reed’s wallet) is Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who could have used a week away from Reed.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Newsome: “We believe Ed clearly tries to play within the rules””
  1. cmich2006 says: Nov 20, 2012 4:18 PM

So do 99% of the NFL players…no more suspensions.

2. fuglyflorio says: Nov 20, 2012 4:29 PM

That makes one of you.

3. csilojohnson says: Nov 20, 2012 4:38 PM

Did I hear something about consistency in the NFL? About lost all intrest in this circus of a league.
    I find myself wanting to watch and root for my favorite team, but not being able to handle all the rediculous crap that goes along with that these days. (Blatantly incompetent or biased officiating, “Player Safety” rule changes stink of PR stunt, the apparent fine quota for each game, inconsistency in rule enforcement, how far the media is willing to reach to get a page out) just to name a few lol.
    It seems I owe my thanks to Goodell and frivolous lawsuits from ex players.

4. daysend564 says: Nov 20, 2012 4:56 PM

I like the penalty box idea. If player goes helmet to helmet, he loses 15 minutes of game time. If the penalty happens in the first quarter, they can return at the same minute mark in the second quarter. If it happens in the 4th quarter, they miss the first “x” minutes in the next game.

No more outlandish penalties (400k), loss of full game. Make it challengable, as too hard to determine at full speeds sometimes.

5. ajg314 says: Nov 20, 2012 5:06 PM

And I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

6. edithpiaf51 says: Nov 20, 2012 5:37 PM

The penatly box idea may work, hey they do it in hockey. It is just that Ed Reed has had numerous violations and he has hit and been overly aggressive to innocent players and needs to learn a lesson. putting him in a “penatlty box” or letting him feel it in the wallet, may teach him a lesson and teach him to control his emotions and his temper.

7. beauregard says: Nov 20, 2012 8:40 PM

I too like the penalty box idea. But instead of having the player sit out for 15 minutes make it two minutes of clock time and have their team play shorthanded with ten players for that duration. It works in Hockey.

8. edithpiaf51 says: Nov 20, 2012 8:47 PM

I like the idea of being shorthanded like in hockey.

9. lovefootball4life says: Nov 21, 2012 12:49 PM

“It is just that Ed Reed has had numerous violations and he has hit and been overly aggressive to innocent players and needs to learn a lesson.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three times in three years hardly seems numerous.

Being “overly aggressive to innocent players” makes him sound like a school yard bully and sounds hilarious. It is a game that depends on aggression.