Arians thankful the Steelers let him go

Bruce Arians AP

The current calendar year started with the Steelers and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians parting ways.  The Steelers said that Arians had retired.

If Arians did indeed retire, his post-career equivalent of handing out carts at Wal-Mart has worked out pretty well.

Arians, now the offensive coordinator and interim head coach of the Colts, has had a career resurgence.  And he’s grateful for the fact that he had the opportunity to join the Colts.

“Thank you, Pittsburgh,” Arians said at his Wednesday press conference, via the Twitter accounts of multiple members of the local media.

In hindsight, it was a win-win for everyone.  The Steelers have done well with Todd Haley, and the Colts have thrived with Arians.

Still, we look forward to the Colts and the Steelers getting together on the field.  It could happen in 2013; it definitely will happen in 2014.  When that happens, we’ll all be saying, “Thank you, NFL.”

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Arians thankful the Steelers let him go”
  1. xsfmed says: Nov 21, 2012 1:23 PM

I am sure Steelers fans will take that as a slight, but its not. A change of scenery can benefit both sides sometimes.

2. sb44champs says: Nov 21, 2012 1:24 PM

Wouldn’t expect anything else from that ‘lucky’ organization that the refs handed multiple championships to, lol!!

3. phooteballs says: Nov 21, 2012 1:26 PM

Yes thank you Mr. Rooney! Thank you!
    Signed
    99% of all Steelers fans

4. Steeley McBeam says: Nov 21, 2012 1:30 PM

And the fans feel the same way.

5. philsimmsisadouche says: Nov 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Well Bruce, Steeler Nation is glad that it’s worked out for you too. Happy Trails. We’ll send you a Christmas card each year.

6. jagsfan1 says: Nov 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Steeler fans might have even passed Eagles and Patriots fans as THE most obnoxious fans out there…
    I have never seen fans act like such little crying babies after losses…and act like SUCH gloating wierdos after a victory.

The truth of the matter is that the Steelers – even with Big Ben – really aren’t that good.

But you Steelers fans actually think you are going to win the SB this year don’t you?

Yeah – sure you are.

7. jpietrefesa says: Nov 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Id take back Arians over Haley any day. If I see one more wide receiver screen im gonna lose it

8. cup1981 says: Nov 21, 2012 1:35 PM

Thanks Mr. Rooney!!!! The vast majority of us Steeler fans had been calling for Arians’ head for years. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Don’t worry, Bruce, it’s only a matter of time before the new defenses you face catch the fact that you run a variant of the bubble screen 35 times per game. (Yes, I am exaggerating a little)

9. overratedsteelerhater says: Nov 21, 2012 1:38 PM

yea ,I bet he is glad to get out of that dive and
    it’s aging players….

10. smokingto says: Nov 21, 2012 1:38 PM

Offensive coordinators is not a priority for the Steelers as long as they have the Officials on the payroll!!

11. eglsfan says: Nov 21, 2012 1:40 PM

to: sb44champs says:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:24 PM

what in the hell are you talking about? Let me put a bounty on you for saying something so moronic

12. jobotjones says: Nov 21, 2012 1:41 PM

jagsfan1 says: Nov 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Yeah – sure you are.

________
    Yeah and the jags are really on their way aren’t they….sure you are.

13. steelers4385 says: Nov 21, 2012 1:47 PM

No…jagsfans…morons like you who troll are worthless fans. Were not that good even tho we have multiple championships in past couple years. We also happen to have the best defense in NFL along with the best third down offense in NFL. Why dont you worry about your worthless pathetic excuse for a professional football team before you troll on others. Sounds to me deep down you wish you were apart of our fan base. Atleast you would know what winning feels like

14. Stiller43 says: Nov 21, 2012 1:51 PM

Im glad they let him go too!

15. firejc says: Nov 21, 2012 1:52 PM

This guy has a huge ego. If he was half as good as he thought he was he might be about knee high to Tom Moore.

16. jimfix says: Nov 21, 2012 2:05 PM

It’ll be interesting to see if Arians wants to stay in Indy next year as a coordinator, or if he’ll jump to his own head coaching gig somewhere…

17. kpf1981 says: Nov 21, 2012 2:29 PM

jagsfan1 says:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:33 PM

————————————————–

in my experience, a lot of steeler fans are well educated about the game of football. you want to talk obnoxious, try Ravens fans. i’m saying that because i live in baltimore and have experienced their idiocy firsthand.

it’s funny, but any post/article relating to the steelers seems to get a lot of traffic. I wonder why that is? everybody loves to hate the steelers and their fans. are we still talking about super bowl XL and the refs. Lemme tell you something about the refs, they make plenty of bad calls and missed calls that go against every team, including the steelers. get over it.

furthermore, i’ve lived in MD, ID, MI and PA. I’ve been to a lot of places and I see people display more steelers stuff than any other team. it isn’t even close. I see people wear steelers stuff everywhere I go. I see it on cars all over the place. It doesn’t matter where you are in the nation, you will see more steelers stuff than any other team, excluding the local team.

don’t confuse educated, loyal and proud with obnoxious. OK buddy…

18. ballsohardu says: Nov 21, 2012 2:34 PM

Steelers are over rated

19. kpf1981 says: Nov 21, 2012 3:09 PM

ballssohardu:

then so are the ravens. a win is a win and i give the ravens the credit. the ravens just beat a team missing their best player on offense, best player on defense and best overall receiver. the ravens are decimated by injuries, too. it’s going to be difficult for both of these teams in the playoffs. hopefully the steelers get there.

the ravens offense scored a whopping 3 points. the earlier field goal was gifted by a turnover and the TD was on special teams. I’d be concerned, but not as much as the steelers.

20. joewilliesshnoz says: Nov 21, 2012 3:21 PM

It’s like having to choose between the last two pieces of rotten fruit left in the bin .

21. jameskucinski says: Nov 21, 2012 3:22 PM

These Steeler posts do get a lot of traffic, especially from haters. I loved the comment “Don’t confuse obnoxious with educated, loyal and proud.” That’s exactly what I was thinking. But I suppose I would be miserable too if my team was horrible every year and looking to move to LA.

22. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 21, 2012 3:29 PM

(1) I agree with Florio, this probably was a win-win scenario – good for Arians and not bad for the Steelers;
    (2) that stated, as a lifelong Steeler fan — I liked and respected Arians. He contributed to a lot of great accomplishments, and I am very grateful to him for that. Classy guy. Our real problem was less Arians and a lot more related to a swinging gate offensive line that was further racked by injuries; and
    (3) as for Steeler Nation, YES – we do have our share of fans that make many of us cringe, since the rest of the world seems to think the nutbag freakshows are emblematic of all of us, but the fact is an enormous component of Steeler fans fall into the category of knowledgeable, respectful and passionate.

I wish Arians well in life and career. Arians got blamed for some things that really weren’t his fault, and we picked up some nice hardware, in part, due to his offensive stewardship. Arians is a classy guy — I wish many of my Steeler brethren wouldn’t immediately launch into jilted lover mode merely because he is content and supporting his own team.

23. mikebrownfeedsondreams says: Nov 21, 2012 3:36 PM

kpf1981 says:

“I’ve been to a lot of places and I see people display more steelers stuff than any other team. it isn’t even close. I see people wear steelers stuff everywhere I go. I see it on cars all over the place. It doesn’t matter where you are in the nation, you will see more steelers stuff than any other team, excluding the local team.”

Exactly. It’s all the obnoxious bandwagon fans who have never even sniffed Pittsburgh that cause other fans to hate them. I see plenty of them at Bengals-Steelers games, so I’m pretty much an expert.

24. kilo0986 says: Nov 21, 2012 3:39 PM

Hmm, was “Thank you, Pittsburgh” followed by anything else? Or was it another attempt by you Florio to take yet another immature and really pathetic attempt to draw negative attention to the mighty and proud Pittsburgh Steelers. Either way Steeler nation is happy to see Arians doing well, and did a great job during the time he served out his contract.

25. td40 says: Nov 21, 2012 3:41 PM

kpf1981 says:
    Nov 21, 2012 2:29 PM

———————————————-

No kidding. They’re called “bandwagon fans.” I mean, seriously- did you just post that without realizing that there’s no way in hell that all those people, all across the country, are from the Pittsburgh area or have some kind of connection to Pittsburgh? Of course they’re not and of course they don’t! America is chock full of people who want to attach themselves to a “winner” – and they adopt themselves as “Steelers fans.” I, personally, know some of these people who even admit to it. They’re not from PA, have no connection to PA, but somehow become Steelers fans.

Lame. I’ve always been a big believe in supporting your home team. Not leeching on to one from hundreds or thousands of miles from your hometown because you need the gratification of attaching yourself to a winner. …and btw, the Steelers were a terrible team for the first 40 years of their existence. They were also a terrible team during most of the 80s- but they’ve had a good, long streak of being a good team for about 20 solid years now, hence the “fans” coming out of the woodwork since the early 90s. History tends to repeat itself though, and there will inevitable come a time again where the Steelers are a bad team for a long stretch. When that time comes, get ready to see a lot of Steelers jerseys and hats in Goodwill stores nationwide.

26. bigdaddydooko says: Nov 21, 2012 4:04 PM

jagsfan1 says:

This comes from a fan of the team who’s biggest win ever was a wild card game against the Steelers. If the Steelers are so bad, why was it such a big deal to beat them?

27. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 21, 2012 4:30 PM

steelers fans are bashing arians, but wasnt he the offensive coordinator in 2 of u guys SB wins? well at leasy one, and u sure wont get there this year with haley at the helm, you’ll be lucky to even make the playoffs this year

28. dtlb58 says: Nov 21, 2012 10:50 PM

I think it worked out great for both franchises. Timing is everything.
    The Chiefs would be blessed to get a combination of Polian/ Arians in 2013 plus a new franchise QB.

29. rg3isvictory says: Nov 21, 2012 11:25 PM

Luck will get a chance to throw 20 ints in this system!