Revis convinced Cromartie to grow up prior to injury

Antonio Cromartie, Rex Ryan AP

Once Darrelle Revis was lost for the season, Antonio Cromartie became the Jets best cornerback by default.

But a conversation with Revis prior to the injury convinced Cromartie he needed to grow up anyway.

It shouldn’t have taken for Revis to go down for me to be playing at a very high level,” Cromartie said, via Newsday’s Bob Glauber. “There’s something I think I took for granted having Revis on the other side and not being able to play at a high level when he was here.”

The two talked about leadership and responsibility, a conversation Cromartie said he needed to hear.

“Hearing it from your peers, you take more out of that than hearing it from your coach,” Cromartie said. “Your peers expect so much out of you and expect you to play at a higher level, especially when he’s one of the best corners in the league.”

The difference was immediate, as Cromartie allowed just one catch against the Dolphins the day Revis blew out his knee, and has continued to play well, with three interceptions.

“I think the biggest thing that’s changed for me is the leadership role,” Cromartie said. “Just making sure everyone was on top of everything, helping guys study film and knowing how to study film. I think I just took on a role that once [Revis] left, and I wanted to make sure I played at a higher level every single week.”

It’s a shame it took such a drastic development to get Cromartie’s attention, but the fact he’s acknowledging it now, and staying out of some of the silly trash-talking he used to get bogged down in, is at least a sign he’s growing up.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Revis convinced Cromartie to grow up prior to injury”
  1. ibchr says: Nov 21, 2012 11:23 AM

He still won’t tackle.

2. cliverush says: Nov 21, 2012 11:32 AM

Better late than never as the saying goes. This team needs leaders to come forward after losing so many veterans over the past few years. The coach can only do so much, and it takes a teammate to set the example in the locker room and film room.

3. themackstrong says: Nov 21, 2012 11:36 AM

He’s done a really good job this year, playing at his highest level since being with the Chargers in my opinion. When I watched them play the Hawks, he shut down Rice whether it was a Rex Ryan zone blitz or man. Somebody needs to talk to Kyle Wilson, that kid sucks.

4. dtr3e says: Nov 21, 2012 11:49 AM

He’s playing great ball this year, just really would have liked to see him play this good when they had Revis. Maybe things would have turned out differently this year.

5. azarkhan says: Nov 21, 2012 12:04 PM

Nice to see that his 4 year, $32,000,000 contract didn’t influence his behavior.

6. j0esixpack says: Nov 21, 2012 12:36 PM

One would hope having a dozen kids to provide for might prompt one to grow up as well

7. stevemo says: Nov 21, 2012 12:40 PM

*1 41-yard catch were he was toasted by the burner Brian Hartline

8. thetruth1313 says: Nov 21, 2012 2:06 PM

Maybe the Jets should have Chris Rock talk to Cromartie as well.

“I take care of my kids!”

9. capecotton says: Nov 21, 2012 9:38 PM

As a Pats fan that loathes the Jets, I hate to admit the Cromartie is playing great football this season. He’s always had it in him, that’s for sure.