Man who tried to extort RG3 gets 18 months

Richard Khamir Hurd AP

The former basketball player who tried to extort $1 million from Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will spend the next year and a half behind bars.

Per the Associated Press, 26-year-old Richard Hurd was sentenced to 18 months in federal custody.  He also was fined $1,000.

I messed up, and I’d like to apologize to my family,” Hurd said in court on Wednesday.  “I’ve embarrassed myself and them as well.”

Hurd contacted Griffin’s agent and said that, unless Griffin paid Hurd $1 million, Hurd would provide the media with information that would damage Griffin’s reputation.  Because most of the court documents have been sealed, the details remain unclear.

When the arrest was made, we reported that the situation involved nothing illegal or scandalous on the part of Griffin.

Extortion attempts are made often against pro athletes.  The person committing the crime usually doesn’t realize it’s illegal, and the information truly is potentially damaging to the player, prompting him to pay the money and not report the incident to the authorities.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
12 Responses to “Man who tried to extort RG3 gets 18 months”
  1. iceshocker says: Nov 22, 2012 1:58 AM

I’m shocked this damaging info hasn’t been leaked to the public in one way or another

2. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 22, 2012 2:34 AM

The moral of the story is don’t mess with RGIII or you’ll be sorry.

3. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Nov 22, 2012 2:45 AM

cmon I don’t know Wtf why anyone thought they could make money by trying to blackmail someone over something everyone already knew!!!

who cares if RG3 spent the night of the draft with his fiancee and Kim kardashian.

open relationships are the ones that work out the best!!! plenty of woman are bisexual!!

4. stevenray72 says: Nov 22, 2012 6:36 AM

I hope the young man has learned his lesson. Such a terrible thing for his family to go through. Especially through the up coming holidays.

5. eventhorizon04 says: Nov 22, 2012 7:17 AM

I’m sorry, but this is not “messing up.”

“Messing up” would be noticing RG3 leaving a bunch of cash on the table and stealing it on a whim. He could argue that he knew it was wrong but did it in a moment of weakness, on the spur of the moment, without any planning.

However, this situation was him coming up with this idea of blackmail, debating it in his head, deciding to go for it, setting the goal of $1 million (because, hey, if you’re going to try to extort money from someone, dream big), contacting RG3′s agent to layout his demands, then only realizing it wasn’t a good idea when he landed in jail.

This isn’t him “messing up.” This is him being a criminal and getting caught.

6. drednot says: Nov 22, 2012 7:39 AM

Good. Now all they have to do is when women try this crap, lock them up too!

7. mightymightylafootball says: Nov 22, 2012 7:53 AM

Oooorrrr…apologize to Robert, maybe?

8. lbpackfan says: Nov 22, 2012 8:20 AM

Any relation to Sam Hurd????

9. swaynesworld says: Nov 22, 2012 8:35 AM

This is a great thing for guys like RG3 to stand up to! It helps set a standard, though it takes courage, for other pros dealing with the greed in society. Yet another example that Robert Griffin is a special guy when he can look at his life and say in essence, there is nothing I’ve done that would be damaging to my character.

Athletic ability isn’t the only thing that makes one special. Which is good news for us.

10. eddardofthehousestark says: Nov 22, 2012 9:11 AM

“The person committing the crime usually doesn’t realize it’s illegal, and the information truly is potentially damaging to the player, prompting him to pay the money and not report the incident to the authorities.”

Somehow I find it hard to believe that anyone thinks extortion is legal.

11. chattanola says: Nov 22, 2012 9:36 AM

Perhaps this guy was successfully prosecuted because RGIII’s “dirty laundry” that he was trying to air wasn’t really dirty enough (else someone would’ve leaked it by now.)

To read that extortion of pro athletes happens more frequently than we know is unfortunate and at least this guy is made an example of.

“I messed up” my foot. He’s probably wondering what he could’ve done differently to avoid this punishment–like maybe asking for $50,000 instead of a million.

12. abninf says: Nov 22, 2012 9:52 AM

I think we all know what this damaging information is heh. He sure wears some pretty socks.