Trent Richardson wants the blame for the Browns’ loss

Trent Richardson AP

Browns running back Trent Richardson produced 144 yards of offense against the Cowboys in Cleveland’s 23-20 overtime loss last Sunday, but he thinks he wound up costing the team the game.

Richardson asked for the blame for the loss Wednesday because he decided to try going over the top instead of trying to pound the ball in behind his blockers from the one-yard line on a third down play with the Browns trailing 17-13 late in the fourth quarter. Richardson got stuffed and said that “I’m the reason why we lost.” Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer thought he was being tongue-in-cheek, but Richardson insisted he’s serious.

“I’m really saying it,” Richardson said. “You can put the game on me. I’m a man. I’m going to man up to my mistakes and my faults. No man is scared away of his own faults or decision-making. I made my decision and I messed up. That happens when you make decisions right on the run. It just happens.”

Richardson also said he wanted the ball on fourth down, but the Browns tried a fade to Jordan Cameron that went incomplete. That’s one of the reasons why Richardson’s assessment is a bit off. The Browns came back and took the lead on a Ben Watson touchdown catch after that failed drive, so the game only went to overtime because the Cleveland defense couldn’t keep the Cowboys from coming back down the field to tie the game. Given how easily Dallas was able to follow up that score, it’s a pretty fair bet that they would have done the same if Richardson did get the ball into the end zone on the play in question.

On the long list of reasons why the Browns are 2-8, anything involving Richardson is pretty low. On the shorter list of reasons to feel good about the future of Browns football, he’s right near the top and his accountability isn’t going to knock him down any time soon.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Trent Richardson wants the blame for the Browns’ loss”
  1. pabrownsfan says: Nov 22, 2012 9:30 AM

You got to love this kid!

2. easydog100 says: Nov 22, 2012 9:39 AM

Richardson has the potential to be an outstanding player….sure hope he stays healthy…

3. faaaaaaq says: Nov 22, 2012 10:12 AM

That kid is a monster. The Ravens players consider him the hardest back in the league to take down. He seems to have a lot of class besides.

4. enrifer says: Nov 22, 2012 10:24 AM

If the Browns can get consistent play from their QB and eliminate some mistakes they could really be a good team, they are very good in the trenches, if they get it together they will have a good season next year.

5. steelersownyou says: Nov 22, 2012 10:27 AM

6. steelersownyou says: Nov 22, 2012 10:29 AM

..Best back browns have had since jim brown, however I think he is brittle and gets hurt a lot. And with the #1 defense coming into town thats a bad recipe for the clowns. We hit with intent to injure. We have assassins at every level on our defense. He better have his head on a swivel cause we bring the pain! Ask ray rice and his 20 carries for 40 yards! Steelers 20 Clowns 10 Final..

7. chattanola says: Nov 22, 2012 10:52 AM

The 2012 draft class had some really great young men come out. Several of the QBs are already making a mark and are getting a lot of attention but if we look around the league, non-QBs like Richardson are also having a positive impact on their teams.

I’ve been following the Browns games more just to watch him play, pulling for him to succeed.

8. medialovesthecowboys says: Nov 22, 2012 10:56 AM

Cowboys fan here.

Rich was killing us the whole game. Cowboys are a total mess – but the defense, which has been somewhat of a bright spot, couldn’t take away the screen. Browns had it all day, plus the run defense looked amateur. Tipping my hat to you, 33. I thought the Browns were going to win, to be honest.

9. coop16 says: Nov 22, 2012 11:34 AM

I don’t blame Richardson for the loss in Dallas, and I agree that he’s a classy kid. But am I the only Browns fan who is underwhelmed by his production? He’s had three really good games, maybe four if you want to be charitable. He’s also had some games in which he did essentially nothing. He’s an impressive physical specimen, but NFL games aren’t bodybuilding contests. I’m not sold on T-Rich as a guy who is going to turn the franchise around. He’s supposed to be the next Adrian Peterson, but I sure haven’t seen that yet.

10. hollydog7 says: Nov 22, 2012 12:41 PM

No possible way is it Richardson’s fault! those DB’s were playing grab-ass all day, They cost them the game.

11. boctavious says: Nov 22, 2012 1:51 PM

Steelers are going to lose to browns. Overrated.

12. holeinone09 says: Nov 22, 2012 2:46 PM

Richardson is a heck of a back, tremendous physical specimen. He is a bright spot for them this season. Browns are lucky to have him on tne team after so much controversy after he was drafted. Looking forward to the game Sunday and renewing our rivalry.

Steelers fan