Bears bench former first-round pick Gabe Carimi

Jay Cutler, Gabe Carimi AP

Chicago Bears offensive line coach Mike Tice hinted that changes could be on the way following a putrid performance Monday night against the San Francisco 49ers.

Tice followed through with the switch and has benched 2011 first-round draft pick Gabe Carimi in favor of Jonathan Scott at right tackle. According to Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times, Scott was working with the first-team offensive line during the portion of practice opened to the media on Thursday.

“This isn’t the first time in my career people doubt me and it won’t be the last,” Carimi said via Jensen. “I just got to keep working hard. My opportunity will come.

“I’m all good.”

Carimi was anything but good in a 32-7 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night. Carimi was routinely overwhelmed by the 49ers pass rush and Aldon Smith made a habit of running around, over and through Carimi on his way to 5.5 sacks and even more hits of Bears quarterback Jason Campbell.

Tice said that in the end, the Bears need better results.

“Gabe works hard and is a very good professional for a young player,” Tice said. “But at the end of the day, we all have to have better results, starting with me, because I’m the coordinator. I have to have better results. The players have to have better results. It’s a business. That’s the way it is. That’s what it’s about.”

Scott has started 30 games in his seven-year career split between time with Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
17 Responses to “Bears bench former first-round pick Gabe Carimi”
  1. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Nov 23, 2012 2:41 AM

Bears fans has Gabe had issues all year or only against the niners?

2. blackngold4life says: Nov 23, 2012 2:42 AM

Lol he must haven’t reviewd Scott’s film with the Steelers yet…Uglay!

3. hutch119 says: Nov 23, 2012 3:08 AM

I remember reading the Falcons would have taken this guy had they stayed put in 2011. Glad they made the deal for Julio.

4. larryboodry says: Nov 23, 2012 3:30 AM

I have faith Carimi will ultimately be a very good o-lineman, unless too much Chilo Rachal rubbed off on him.

5. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 23, 2012 3:36 AM

Scott was released by the Steelers back when they were looking under rocks for offensive linemen. Scott was horrible. Carimi well back in the lineup very soon, probably before the Bears’ first punt of the game.

6. dwatkins69 says: Nov 23, 2012 3:52 AM

If Im not mistaken, Didnt a few of those sacks come on the left side? For whatever reason Meathead Tice wouldnt give either the LT or RT any help. Makes me wonder why they were sending Kellen Davis out on routes when he has a hard time catching the ball

7. oldguardof60s says: Nov 23, 2012 6:55 AM

Jared Allen won’t care who he has to run around, through, or over. Skol!

8. threedeep1998 says: Nov 23, 2012 6:55 AM

Isn’t this kid a life long packers fan? Looks like he shows no effort to protect his QBs

9. pappavike says: Nov 23, 2012 7:35 AM

Doesn’t matter!! Vikes D will feast on Da bears! I hope cuttler plays! No excuses for the Bears, No expectations for the Vikes! = Good game!!

10. louiespoon says: Nov 23, 2012 7:46 AM

They can’t keep sending help for those two. These were Angelo’s picks and s usual they stink. Emery will have to get the line in order in the off-season….

11. mantastic54 says: Nov 23, 2012 7:55 AM

That’s disappointing. Carimi had a pretty good game the week before vs JJ Watt, I was hoping he had turned a corner

12. jojopuppyfish says: Nov 23, 2012 8:04 AM

Mike Tice is a fraud. He’s ruined the OL and now he’s ruining the Offense.

13. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 23, 2012 8:08 AM

It seems like a strange time of year to retool your offensive line.

14. kabasaman says: Nov 23, 2012 9:41 AM

The Bears are in real trouble. If you bench the only guy on your line that is a first round pick. What do you have left? Spencer? are you kidding me. Phil Emery has got his work cut out for him this off-season. The O-line needs to be totally rebuilt. The defense is getting old and we have no tight ends worth a darned. good luck, we’ll need it.

15. rap49er says: Nov 23, 2012 10:53 AM

Aldon Smith will put alot of tackles in hot water. He’s just that good. Sorry Gabe.

16. midwaymonster72 says: Nov 23, 2012 12:05 PM

Wow I can’t believe Webb isn’t benched first. Webb probably has nude pics of Tice for leverage. He has to.

17. cfos00 says: Nov 23, 2012 1:57 PM

How is J’Marcus Webb, who has been complete garbage for the past 3 years, not the one getting benched? He’s been getting beaten like a rented mule routinely, and he seems like he’s teflon. I just don’t get it. Anyone watching the games sees him getting killed, and nothing with Webb ever seems to change.