Lack of cup made it easier for Suh’s toe to take Schaub down

mqdefault

The ever-shrinking slate of Ndamukong Suh apologists have gotten pretty creative when it comes to making an excuse for his latest act of on-field misconduct.

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub took a dive, some say, because there’s no way the toe to the groin would have penetrated Schaub’s cup.

But here’s the thing.  NFL players don’t wear them.

For the same reason many players won’t wear knee pads or thigh pads, cups make it harder to run as fast and move as quickly as they can.  It’s a dynamic that former NFL lineman Tim Green explained in his excellent inside look at the NFL from 1996, The Dark Side of the Game.

So, basically, the only thing separating Suh’s toe from its target was a thin layer of gabardine.  Or whatever it is they make those Nike pants out of.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
55 Responses to “Lack of cup made it easier for Suh’s toe to take Schaub down”
  1. chilomane says: Nov 23, 2012 6:33 PM

Rex Ryan likes it.

2. crazybeardedjack says: Nov 23, 2012 6:35 PM

I’m fairly certain people wearing cups in football at any level are in the minority.

3. folkcrusader says: Nov 23, 2012 6:39 PM

PFT sensationalizing a simple play? No way.

Guys get hit in the nards all the time, how is this any different?

4. rickyspanish says: Nov 23, 2012 6:40 PM

Those Seinfeld references will never get old.

5. pastabelly says: Nov 23, 2012 6:42 PM

Suh always claims to have an excuse or extenuating circumstances. He should sit out a game and think about his actions.

6. flapsmcgee says: Nov 23, 2012 6:42 PM

He might have kicked him on purpose but I don’t think he purposely hit him in the balls. He wasn’t even looking and it was perfect aim. I don’t think he’s that good.

Having said that, it was hilarious.

7. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Nov 23, 2012 6:43 PM

I’m out and I’m loving every minute of it!

8. lamontjoe says: Nov 23, 2012 6:44 PM

What will Suh do next Turkey day?

9. jimmysee says: Nov 23, 2012 6:51 PM

Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me.

Adios Mr. Suh.

10. endzone says: Nov 23, 2012 6:52 PM

Marketing opportunity here for Nike. Design lycra football pants with lightweight but strong protection directly into the crotch seaming. Kevlar or lightweight titanium, something like that is needed if the likes of Suh is crawling along at ground level taking shifty eyed peeks at opponents’ packages.

11. decon49 says: Nov 23, 2012 6:53 PM

gabardine? inst that the soccer team that groundskeeper willy likes on the simpsons?

12. ilovefootball2525 says: Nov 23, 2012 6:55 PM

Thy cup runneth over?

13. johnnycash19 says: Nov 23, 2012 6:58 PM

1st things 1st, that book was excellent.

2nd thing. Have people really been defending Suh? I don’t think he intentionally kicked him in the groin on purpose, but I do think he intentionally tried to kick him.

14. cronybomb says: Nov 23, 2012 6:58 PM

I’m sure that’s one thing Schaub is worried about…running as fast as possible

15. garyman1 says: Nov 23, 2012 7:00 PM

Not only would I wear a cup…. I would put a metal pail over the cup.

16. davikes says: Nov 23, 2012 7:01 PM

Thanks to Suh, the spike in cup sales will come from teams playing the Lions.

17. dd393 says: Nov 23, 2012 7:20 PM

Ndamukong Suh kicking or stomping someone is getting to be a Thanksgiving Tradition.

18. kazkal says: Nov 23, 2012 7:27 PM

“Guys get hit in the nards all the time, how is this any different?”

Yes guys get hit there all the time,But for one guy to do it to another guy it’s a bitch move.Suh = Bitch & Dirty player.

19. manilovethepftcensors says: Nov 23, 2012 7:46 PM

The irrationality and hatred of posters on this site never ceases to amaze me. Reading all the hateful comments about Suh has literally been the most entertaining thing I’ve done for the past day and a half. I sincerely thank you all for the laughs.
    I’ve watched the play over and over and there is no way he could have intentionally done what you’re all so outraged about him doing. I understand that a lot of you have a misplaced, deep-seated hatred for Suh but please stop being so emotional.
    Also, all of you who come on here and talk about how overrated he is don’t know too much about football. Try watching film of him from the last three games. He has been playing outstanding football and getting pressure on the quarterback despite constantly being double and even triple teamed.

20. majskinsfan says: Nov 23, 2012 7:58 PM

Suh is a dirtylayer and will prob get a few games of rest as a reward for this play. At the same time, not wearing a cp in a contact sport is just not smart. Sorry, don’t buy the arguement that it slows them down. Take a shot to the nads and see how much it slows you down.

21. deltanovembertoronto says: Nov 23, 2012 8:04 PM

Hmmm I wonder how many teams would put a waiver claim on him if the Lions dropped Suh? Here’s the answer 32! Every single one of you would want this guy on your team. Whether or not the stats show it, this guy draws double teams every game and still gets in the back field. Did you not see him in the back field all day yesterday against one of the so called best teams? When Suh sacked Cutler on MNF, everyone was so quick to say it was dirty? Why? Because he is so strong and handled Cutler like a ragdoll??? Even after Cutler said it was clean, PFT and every media outlet was saying it was dirty. Y’all a bunch of jealous haters!

Stop hating because Suh is not on your team. You all complain about how you want old school football back, well old school football was filled with dirty plays and great players participating in them. Sapp, Romanowski, Batkus, L. Taylor. The list goes on. Then again, I’m probably typing to a bunch of teenagers that think they know it all because they played a couple of snaps in pee wee or highschool.

As for the video, his head was buried in the ground. How could he know his foot was in his groin??? Stop being sensitive flowers. Go watch arena football or your local flag football league biatches.

22. fdugrad says: Nov 23, 2012 8:07 PM

Mr. Commish, you absolutely must suspend this miscreant for a game at the minimum.

23. seahawksbmx says: Nov 23, 2012 8:10 PM

Donkey Kong does seem to like him some Thanksgiving giblets.

24. noeffinway says: Nov 23, 2012 8:25 PM

Call him what you want, but I’m happy he’s on the team that I cheer for!

25. houstonschaso says: Nov 23, 2012 8:27 PM

Yea I’m mad I dont have Suh on my team.. lmao
    Stupid fool we have J.J Watt. You must be hating yourself for not having Watt on Your team lmao

26. chitown12 says: Nov 23, 2012 8:36 PM

It’s not a question of “hating” Suh …or Suh not having talent. The issue is that he is lazy (takes way too many plays off) …he still believes his college talent will prevail (somehow he hasn’t yet figured this out)…he’s totally undisciplined…and is more focused on his stats than his team. It’s that simple….and yeah, plenty of team’s would take a flyer and hope they could tame the beast.

27. csilojohnson says: Nov 23, 2012 8:41 PM

I can’t believe nobody has developed a less restrictive cup by now.

28. stodgman says: Nov 23, 2012 8:53 PM

I completely agree that this is not about hating Suh or especially about Suh’s talent. This is about his crazy head. Suh is a nutcase and this obviously intentional kick will be one more epitaph on his exemplary NFL resume.

29. japmen says: Nov 23, 2012 9:00 PM

I dont think anyone is hating because the Lions are back to irrelevant. 4-7, sucking again and Suh isnt wowing the world. He didnt even have a single stat this past game. I think he got mad that he was getting stonewalled and decided to play dirty. Oops, he always plays dirty as voted by other players. No one’s leg does that as they are falling naturally. At least they’ll have another really high pick this next draft. Back to normal

30. nflfollower says: Nov 23, 2012 9:07 PM

What’s getting lost in all of this is that Suh was held on the play. Literally tackled. As he is on most.

31. stevietimmy says: Nov 23, 2012 9:16 PM

“manilovethepftcensors
    Nov 23, 2012, 7:46 PM EST
    I’m sorry that so many of you have so much hatred built up inside. I hope that you can find more constructive ways to release that hatred in the future.”

32. hatesycophants says: Nov 23, 2012 9:22 PM

Ridiculous. No way this was intentional. No way there should have been a flag. No way there should be a fine or suspension. You folks are out of your freaking minds. Just plain nuts as it were.

33. 2thguy says: Nov 23, 2012 9:24 PM

I think you meant 31 teams would put a claim on him, unless of course you are in fact Matt Millen and would put a claim on a player you just waived.

34. bcjim says: Nov 23, 2012 9:30 PM

Wow. Football players don’t wear cups?? I wore one every down for 3 years of youth an two years of HS.

Then I asked myself why I was even playing football.

35. lroc20 says: Nov 23, 2012 9:37 PM

Suh is not chuck norris. Completely unintentional, no man goes for the balls on purpose unless he waves a rainbow flag

36. gmen1080 says: Nov 23, 2012 9:43 PM

Everyone says that this idiot (Suh) wasn’t looking when his toe came down on Schaub’s noodle. Take a look at the video again and watch his head turn just as his foot is taking aim. If I were any opposing o-lineman, I would be going after this scumbag’s knees before the coin hit the ground.

37. nathanbetz91 says: Nov 23, 2012 10:45 PM

It was Clearly a dirty move by Suh he Clearly kicked his foot back then pushed it forward into shaubs groin..lol footballs

38. tjb9935 says: Nov 23, 2012 11:02 PM

Suh is and always has been dirty. And ugly. Houston Chronicle has nicknamed him “Suh-age.” quite appropriate. Anyone who thinks that kick in the groin wasn’t intentional hasn’t been following “Suh-age’s” sordid career. I hope he gets suspended for at least two games.

39. jboyxl73 says: Nov 23, 2012 11:12 PM

So maybe instead of all the crazy rules about where u can hit a player , we make them wear their pads ????

40. rmc1995 says: Nov 23, 2012 11:37 PM

I haven’t seen this so-called cup excuse from any serious football observer to defend Suh. The number one reason Suh was put in that position to swing his legs is because he was clearly being pulled down by the offensive lineman. The hold was the only thing that was obvious and certain from any angle. If not for the hold, Shaub may have been sacked rather than kicked in the sack.

41. atwatercrushesokoye says: Nov 23, 2012 11:47 PM

Jimmysee: I’m pretty sure it’s fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice….won’t get fooled again…….

Secondly I agree that Dark Side of The Game was an excellent book.

42. shadyasian says: Nov 23, 2012 11:52 PM

One of the biggest intangibles a football player can have is great awareness. It’s like driving a car- you should always be aware of your surroundings, especially the blind spots (and especially Asians like me).
    I think Suh has great awareness, so the argument that he could not possibly know where his foot would land because his head was “buried in the ground” does not make sense. I believe Suh was aware that he was falling near the QB and did whatever he could to make contact of any sort.
    It was a lucky shot that he hit him in the balls; but there’s no question Suh was trying to make contact whether it be in the balls, hip, shin, arm; head shoulders knees and toes (knees and toes)…

43. denverscott says: Nov 24, 2012 3:01 AM

C’mon. Has anyone tried to sneek a pee on the sidelines while wearing a cup? Impossible.

44. billsboy88 says: Nov 24, 2012 3:06 AM

Could you please not end any more sentences with prepositions? It’s like fingernails on a blackboard.

45. bigboi30 says: Nov 24, 2012 3:08 AM

@ pastabelly

You should be banned for a week from bring an idiot and making comments like you just did. I swear some of the cry baby stuff people come up with is stupid and shouldn’t be allowed to make opinions.

46. funktron2x says: Nov 24, 2012 3:21 AM

Lol!!! Getting stonewalled? I love you boxscore tea readers. Always good for a laugh. Ask Schaub if Suh was “stonewalled” on Thursday. LOL!!!

47. kattykathy says: Nov 24, 2012 4:08 AM

The Suh apologists are the same as the Goodell apologists who rip on the pay-for-performance system the Saints had.
    These nimwits come on here spouting assinine nonsense when they have never even played the game.
    If they had played the game, they would have known payers do not wear cups. But my guess is that 99.999% of these Saints haters, Suh apologolists, Goodell apologists dont even know what a cup is because they are “big” enough for cups

48. kahnsbushymustache says: Nov 24, 2012 6:28 AM

deltanovembertoronto says:Nov 23, 2012 8:04 PM

=================================
    Um, so what you’re saying is that the Lions would also put in a waiver claim on the player they waived, since there are 32 teams in the league?

49. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 24, 2012 7:02 AM

manilovethepftcensors….sounds like you have a lot of Suh manlove

50. hehateme2 says: Nov 24, 2012 7:43 AM

who are the lions?

51. jason49er says: Nov 24, 2012 7:45 AM

The Bengals can’t wait for this guy’s rookie contract to expire…

52. hpb2167 says: Nov 24, 2012 8:38 AM

Suh is a chump…cup or no cup he knew what he was doing. He continues to set bad examples for children who are learning how to play the game.

53. jskill3 says: Nov 24, 2012 9:42 AM

delta,

No, not all 32 teams want Suh. No, not every single one of us wants Suh on our team. We aren’t talking about his hit on Cutler here. The Texans are not just a “so called” best team, they have the best record. No, we’re not a bunch of teenagers. No, his head was not buried in the ground when he kicked Schaub. We aren’t hating on Suh becasue he’s not on our team.

He couldn’t make the play and so he kicked the QB in the nads. That’s not dirty play really, more like a cowardly cheap shot, that grown men find out of place, even in football. Only a loser, and I really mean somene who is afraid they are losing, would resort to kicking someone in the groin.

Nor is Suh in the same class as the great ones you mention. He is more like…… a loser.

54. manilovethepftcensors says: Nov 24, 2012 10:35 AM

“Reading these comments has been the most entertaining thing that you have done over the last day and a half? Watching the replays over and over? You really need to get out more.”

Yes stevietimmy I agree. My extended family has generally been driving me nuts for the past couple of days and my only escape is to hide out in my computer room/office area and read the internets.

It will all be over soon.

55. earpaniac says: Nov 24, 2012 11:31 AM

I played in college, and not many guys wore cups then either. I don’t think Suh tried to kick him in his man-bits, but I do think he tried to kick him. He just got really lucky. Or, unlucky if you are Schaub.