Failure to communicate is killing the Philly defense

Kurt Coleman, Todd Bowles AP

Under new coordinator Todd Bowles, the Eagles’ defense has gone from bad to bumbling.  The team hasn’t won a game since Bowles supplanted Juan Castillo, and the defense has looked increasingly shaky.

The low point came last Sunday, in a blowout loss to the Redskins.

The problem, according to Bowles, is miscommunication.

“It shouldn’t [happen], especially on the plays we gave up against Washington,” Bowles said Friday, via Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News.  “We addressed that in the meeting. That should not happen. There’s got to be communication on every play.”

The problem is that there isn’t, and that the situation isn’t getting any better.  Bowles thinks it is.  We think.

“I think everything is corrected, every week, all the time,” Bowles said.  “Players are going to make mistakes, just like your children.  You don’t want ‘em to happen, you can go over ‘em and go over ‘em. We have a responsibility to correct, they have a responsibility to get it right.”

Both are failing in their responsibilities, which underscores the fact that plenty of changes will be coming to Philly when the season ends.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Failure to communicate is killing the Philly defense”
  1. freemantowilliams says: Nov 24, 2012 8:17 PM

Man I haven’t seen that movie major Payne in years. Good stuff

2. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 24, 2012 8:26 PM

Defense has been going downhill since Jim Johnson died…especially the past two years.

3. nycoccet says: Nov 24, 2012 8:41 PM

I would love to see what the late jim johnson could do with this defense. Im starting to think alot of reids success had alot to do with JJ.

4. greenbirdish says: Nov 24, 2012 8:44 PM

Bring back Buddy Ryan.

5. therealtrenches says: Nov 24, 2012 8:58 PM

Let’s be honest: the defense has been going down hill since 2002. It’s time to stop crying about Jim Johnson being gone. I liked the guy, but his defenses were undersized and overrated.

More relevant for the moment: Bowles thinks he has corrected the problems every week? And then they go out there and play worse? He should think before he speaks.

6. jssgriffi says: Nov 24, 2012 9:09 PM

Does any of this matter anymore?? I mean every eagle fan could care less about this season anymore. They are a bad team, there are no excuses. This is a product of Andy Reid’s past 14 yrs drafts.

7. fumblenuts says: Nov 24, 2012 9:28 PM

Really?

“Players are going to make mistakes, just like your children.”

Yeah, but my kids don’t make MILLIONS to ensure that it doesn’t happen over and over again…

Time for Jeffrey Lurie to clean the Bird Cage!

8. coys10 says: Nov 24, 2012 9:28 PM

Why is there always an excuse with the Eagles? Why can’t it be,like a lot of 3-7 teams that were 8-8 the year before, mediocre talent. Try that Florio.

9. godblessfootball says: Nov 24, 2012 10:16 PM

Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve, ….enough with the JJ comparisons already.

Imagine what Vince Lombardi could’ve done with this team…geez!

10. tfoz5150 says: Nov 24, 2012 10:19 PM

What excuse are you talking about? That they dont communicate? Two pro bowlers in the secondary, two more up front. I dont think its mediocre talent. It is what it is. Vick and his over hyped cronies brought this ship down.

11. 2ndaryinsanity says: Nov 24, 2012 10:30 PM

Talk about a train wreck! Definately time to do some MAJOR housecleaning….the coaching staff AND players must be held accountable for their screw ups. In the “real world” most of us fans live in, there are consequences for repeated failures to perform your job….it’s called getting fired.
    I sincerely hope Andy Reid takes a year off from coaching in order to give himself a real chance to start healing from the loss of his son.

12. yojoemama says: Nov 24, 2012 10:34 PM

I bet you Andy Reid is eating a cheese steak right now.

13. captainwisdom8888 says: Nov 24, 2012 10:43 PM

It’s a very natural reaction to say, “the Eagles are losing because of this…or they’re losing because of that, but the reality of the situation right now is that there are problems that need to be addressed from TOP TO BOTTOM. The Eagles need someone to come in and help change the culture of this team…into a culture that more adaquately reflects Philly itsef. Tough, gritty, hard-working men who fight hard for the guy next to them..

14. stv1719 says: Nov 24, 2012 11:10 PM

I have been saying this for a while now… andy reid was only successful because of Jim Johnson!!! Jim Johnson covered all of reid’s mistakes.

15. laserw says: Nov 25, 2012 12:41 AM

The Eagles have assembled the greatest collection of worthless players since the early period of the Danny Snyder reign of terror on the Redskins.

The Eagles need to get rid of everyone on defense and to start over. Even though I despise the Eagles, it hurts to see them so wretchedly bad.

Well, almost hurts!

Bwhahahahahahhah

16. monkeyhateclean says: Nov 25, 2012 1:13 AM

Treating professional athletes like children? Sounds like a good explanation for why the “dream team” has turned out so nightmarish…

17. diegiantsdie says: Nov 25, 2012 7:46 AM

i cant wait until rex ryan gets fired and becomes the new d.c. horrible head coach, but a great defensive mind.

18. tigrrrr says: Nov 25, 2012 8:32 AM

chugachuga chuga chuga choo choo…wooo…wooo

Out of the way!! Out of the way, here comes the vick train wreck!

19. sonopazzo6 says: Nov 25, 2012 8:43 AM

Birds need a veteran dominant safety like Dawkins to hold the back end together…….neither Coleman nor Allen will ever be that! Dip into the FA pool this off-season, though I’m not sure who will be available.

20. skinsgal4life says: Nov 25, 2012 8:43 AM

I’m a woman who never played real football, just rough neighborhood games in my tomboy days. I did, however, play organized soccer and softball for many years. It seems to me that in any sport, after a certain length of time, no matter what, you KNOW what to do to make a play in a certain situation. I understand the role of the coach is to get the best out of the players and motivate them, but shouldn’t the players know what to do by the time they reach the NFL? If the Philly defense sucks (and I’m glad that it does) isn’t it because the players aren’t making the plays? Am I missing something here, guys?

21. seabreezes51 says: Nov 25, 2012 8:52 AM

I have steeped my Grandkids, four and two, as Eagles fans. God, what have I done?

22. bobleblah says: Nov 25, 2012 9:01 AM

Jim Johnson’s defenses were a frustration of bend-but-don’t-break, then stop the other team in the red zone (or hope the other team stops itself).

The real credit should go to Brian Dawkins. The birds haven’t been the same since he left.

23. datpinoyboy68 says: Nov 25, 2012 12:32 PM

If I was any of the Eagles defensive staff I would be offended if I was compared to a child. Granted this season has been abysmal but these are men not children. What needs to be done is that the whole regine needs to be replaced. Everyone seems to be just going through the motions and has no pride or honor. That is when a proven vocal leader needs to address the team….we haven’t had one since B-Dawk left.