Andy Dalton: I’m glad I have a teammate willing to get ejected for me

Andy Dalton,  Andrew Whitworth,  Kelly Jennings AP

Bengals offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth was ejected on Sunday for going after Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston when Houston took an unnecessary shot at Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton. On Monday, Dalton said that incident showed he has just the kind of offensive line any quarterback would want.

Dalton said on NFL Network’s Around the League Live that he didn’t like seeing the officials throw Whitworth, Houston and Raiders defensive lineman Tommy Kelly out of the game as a result of the skirmish, but he did like knowing that he has an offensive lineman who’s sending a message to opposing defensive linemen: If they mess with the Bengals’ quarterback, they’re not going to get away with it.

“I got hit late, and Whit did a good job sticking up for me,” Dalton said. “You love the passion he plays with and you love the aggressiveness he has. Unfortunately, all that kind of took place, guys getting ejected and all that, but as a teammate you love to see that.”

Dalton said he told Whitworth after the game that he liked what he saw.

“I definitely told him, ‘Thanks for sticking up for me’ and all that kind of stuff,'” Dalton said. “It’s always good to have teammates like that.”

As much as Dalton likes Whitworth, Whitworth is talking like a man who loves Dalton. Asked after the game about protecting Dalton, Whitworth said, “I’ve got two contracts in my life. One, with my wife because we’re married. And, two, I’ve got a contract to protect Andy Dalton. I’ll do both of those to the best of my ability.”

Mrs. Whitworth may feel a little weird hearing their holy matrimony compared to the bond between a tackle and his quarterback, but Dalton appreciates the support.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Andy Dalton: I’m glad I have a teammate willing to get ejected for me”
  1. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Nov 26, 2012 6:40 PM

As a football fan, that is just great.

2. jaggedmark says: Nov 26, 2012 6:43 PM

PFT Crew. Just heard this question from someone, and didn’t know where to pose it.

“If Schwartz hadn’t thrown the challenge flag, what’s to keep Kubiak from throwing it, taking the 15 yard penalty, and making the play unreviewable?”

Of course the Texans were the benefactor of the call, but throwing a flag would be unsportsmanlike by either coach. Would the play become unreviewable? Now that scenario would have sent Schwartz to the moon.

Michael David Smith: It’s off-topic on this post, but we’ve addressed it. Short answer, no, Kubiak couldn’t have stopped the review: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/25/kubiak-couldnt-have-blocked-review-by-throwing-red-flag/

3. dmq13 says: Nov 26, 2012 6:43 PM

If 77 for Oakland doesnt get fined or suspended a game ill be mad. He was gutless taking cheap shot punches at Whitworth in the scrum…I am not a fan of either team but the whole sequence of the fight was stupid by nearly everyone involved.

4. tatatoothy says: Nov 26, 2012 6:44 PM

Not a Bengals fan, but it’s tough not to like this Bengals team right now. Bunch of guys working their backs off, playing as a team.

5. pooflingingmonkey says: Nov 26, 2012 6:47 PM

Whitworth set an example for the rest of his team, which is don’t take sh1t from anyone, especially the Raiders.

6. ewoods6 says: Nov 26, 2012 6:53 PM

class act even though he was ejected!!

7. robgilman says: Nov 26, 2012 6:55 PM

The NFL needs more of this

8. aaroncurryisbust says: Nov 26, 2012 6:56 PM

That’s really awesome.

9. tatatoothy says: Nov 26, 2012 6:58 PM

Props to PFT and Michael David Smith for responding to jaggedmark’s question. Good stuff.

10. usmutts says: Nov 26, 2012 7:02 PM

Whitworth is a genuinely good man. His work off the field, especially in his home community, is exemplary. A real citizen.

I asked my wife if she wanted a contract with me and she said she has already taken one out on me. Dang.

11. joewilliesshnoz says: Nov 26, 2012 7:08 PM

Nice job ! Hope to see more offensive linemen in his mold .

12. nje22 says: Nov 26, 2012 7:09 PM

Been a Bengals sufferer since ’77 and its good to see them fight and push back for a change
    Whitt is old time football, did you see him pointing for the dude even after they were thrown out?
    Love it, bring back max montoya too!

13. fordraptorforum says: Nov 26, 2012 7:16 PM

My Dolphins entire O-Line could learn a thing or two from Whitworth.

14. ampatsisahypocrite says: Nov 26, 2012 7:18 PM

I remember years ago when Warren Sapp took a cheap shot at Tommy Maddox’s knees. Instead of taking out Sapp at the knees the next play, the Steeler linemen did… nothing.

This 0-lineman gets it right. Nice to see.

15. crazysamoan says: Nov 26, 2012 7:33 PM

Next time let’em play it out ref.

16. raiderapologist says: Nov 26, 2012 7:34 PM

——–
    At least he mentioned his wife first. Personally, I liked it. Haven’t seen a nice brawl in quite some time, and don’t have a problem with players sticking up for their teammates. At first blush I thought Whitworth pushed a ref on his way to Houston, but after watching it again it looked like he just put his hands on the guy on his way past. There should be a lot of money raised for charity, no matter how it shakes out.

17. nineroutsider says: Nov 26, 2012 7:39 PM

Bengals fans have to love how their team is playing and the type of team it is. I can see why Harbaugh had Dalton rated so high.

18. fmwarner says: Nov 26, 2012 7:42 PM

I love what Whitworth did too. The game announcers were apparently not so impressed. They actually called Whitworth the instigator, excused Houston because of the bad call from the play before, and cried that the Raiders were getting jobbed. I can’t imagine them getting it much more wrong.

19. satanphoenix says: Nov 26, 2012 7:45 PM

Same thing happened for Jim Plunkett when Mickey Marvin beat Buffalo’s Eugene Marve all the way to the bench after Marve jumped offsides and belted Jim Plunkett. Both players got ejected and fined but in Mickey Marvins case the hat was passed around the Locker room for him. As Mrvin put it “I just couldn’t stand their adn do noothing. ” Or words to that effect. This was 30 some years ago.

20. dougydouglikeslittleboys says: Nov 26, 2012 8:05 PM

it’s all good, but nobody deserves to get fined or suspended…ejections , inadvertant whistles, bogus clipping calls were enough penalties already….for all the whiners about cheap shots etc….what do you expect when you start a brawl….i thought it was great.

21. bengalskuta82 says: Nov 26, 2012 8:10 PM

As a fan of the game and the Bengals..I LOVED IT!! Its called sticking up for your teamates..
    @Jay Culter, dont shove your lineman because he busts his rear for you..

Good job Big Wit #77!!

22. jschwanny says: Nov 26, 2012 8:20 PM

Good story about the Bengals. I also liked AJ Green’s comment on the brawl: “I saw the guy slam Andy, so I knew Whit was going to lose it after that,” Green said. As a Bengals fan, its good to see that the young guys know that Whitworth has their backs. What is really nice… is that Whitworth is just one of many on this team (Leon Hall, Peko, Geno to name a few) who are good guys and outstanding leaders.

23. bengalguy says: Nov 26, 2012 8:21 PM

Its been about 15-20 years. But these Bengals exemplify TEAM. Play for the guy next to you!
    ATTA BOY BIG WHIT!!!
    P.S. Andy, make sure you let them know how much you appreciate this line! Watches, Cars, Steak Dinner, Whatever! take care of the people that take care of you!
    WHO DEY!!!

24. andrewfbrowne says: Nov 26, 2012 8:30 PM

Olde time football right there.

25. granadafan says: Nov 26, 2012 8:41 PM

Hope Andy pays his fines.

26. voyager6 says: Nov 26, 2012 9:08 PM

This is Whitworth’s second offense. A couple of years ago, he was held by a DLineman and with the other hand the guy intentionally poked him in the eye. Whitworth was enraged and went after the guy. I can’t remember if he was ejected or left the game due to injury, but I am pretty sure he was fined.

27. fruitcovejag says: Nov 26, 2012 9:11 PM

Wish the Jags had an offensive lineman like that! Gabbert or Henne get hit before the play starts or after the whistle and the OL look the other way. Where’s the “Send a message attitude”? Like several other teams in the league, we don’t have it!

28. abninf says: Nov 26, 2012 9:17 PM

Roger Goodell will order him to take anger management counseling and sensitivity training.

29. vottorific says: Nov 26, 2012 9:33 PM

Been a bengals fan a long time. Never saw Wit do that for Palmer. Guess that tells us about Palmer. Anyway, if youve ever played football you know how ccol that was.

30. commitment2excrement says: Nov 26, 2012 9:41 PM

Raiders are upset that the Lions Saints, Seahawks are stealing attention away from them as being the dirtiest teams in football. The joke is on them though, because that product on the field they produce cannot be construed as “football”

31. raidermark says: Nov 26, 2012 9:48 PM

Whitworth should be suspended a game. Houston wasnt even flagged for throwing Angie Dalton on the ground. The refs stole 14 points from the Raiders from the play before that and the blocking in the back while they were enroute to a score. Tasker couldn’t stop talking about either plat. The NFL Nazis may try to fine him.

32. jnova80 says: Nov 26, 2012 9:53 PM

Awesome way to put it. I don’t even know who this guy is and not a Bengals fan, but I have nothing but respect for him. Team player.

33. bengalsucker says: Nov 26, 2012 10:39 PM

Wow! compare the comments to this article to the one posted this morning about this issue. People were BLASTING our Bengals for what happened. JoeToronto of course made it sound like the Bengals should forfeit the rest of the season because of this. I LOVE it that we finally have an OL like this sticking up for our QB. If that were Carson back there, they would have stood by and watched. Shows that Andy is one hell of a leader as well as Whit. I hope we can keep this ball rolling! Who Dey!

34. pftcensorssuck says: Nov 26, 2012 10:39 PM

Just watched the video, couple of thoughts…….

Two games, minimum.

I saw a Raider (77) throwing haymakers from behind. Truly a chickenbleep move.

Worst of all, three different raiders piled on Whitworth when he was on the ground, each of them taking shots at him. Even MORE ckickenbleep.

The Raiders are truly a chickenbleep team.

35. tatum064 says: Nov 26, 2012 11:30 PM

I only wished they started the fight a couple of weeks earlier, against the Ravens after that bi&ch ass fake FG they pulled.

Sooner or later somebody is going to get hurt over this running up the score crap.

Its the kind of thing that makes you understand why Greg Williams did what he did with the Saints.

I think more teams should start going over-the-edge when teams run the score up – not saying Dalton deserved that, but i can see it happening very soon.

At least somebody had some pride. Im glad to see a sorry a$% team at least try to kick a$% in some way.

36. homelanddefense says: Nov 27, 2012 10:26 AM

Ill take a guy like that on my team anytime

37. plumcrazy73 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:15 PM

He knows his paycheck is dierectly tied to Dalton’s performance and if he is in there under center or hurt. Great job!

38. nickster31 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:23 PM

I am a Steelers fan so I certainly will not stick up for a Bengal if not so justified.

What he did was the 100% correct thing to do. I don’t care about rules, fines, suspensions or anything like that. If your team is going to have success, you NEED a quality QB and the Bengals have one.

To let him get hit (like the Browns did to Colt McCoy did last preseason against the Lions) and NOT do something should get a player benched.

This sends a message to the NFL. We hit back.

Andrew Whitworth, you earned respect.

39. raiderapologist says: Nov 27, 2012 6:07 PM

pftcensorssuck says: Nov 26, 2012 10:39 PM

Just watched the video, couple of thoughts…….

>Houston without a doubt should be suspended for that blatant foul on Dalton. Whistle clearly blew, and Houston plowed ahead and not only hit Dalton, but threw him like a rag doll.
    ———-
    Even when you watch it again, you still don’t see it clearly? Houston wasn’t the only one still moving. Dalton was, too. And he had the ball.

>Two games, minimum.
    ———
    Not a chance.

>Whitworth totally did the right thing, and the announcers are morons for calling HIM the instigator.
    ————
    Nothing wrong with Whitworth sticking up for a teammate. But he did instigate the fight.