Florida State’s likely first-rounder Tank Carradine suffers torn ACL

Cornellius Carradine AP

Cornellius “Tank” Carradine, a defensive end from Florida State who was viewed as a likely first-round pick in the 2013 NFL draft, has suffered a torn ACL.

Carradine suffered the injury when his knee buckled under him on a play when he wasn’t even touched in Saturday’s loss to Florida.

As a senior, Carradine’s college career is over. A torn ACL in November would likely prevent him from working out at the Scouting Combine in February, although if he is making good progress in recovery by April’s draft, teams may feel comfortable with his medical status. Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said he expected Carradine to be a high draft pick, although Fisher said he could see Carradine dropping from the first round to the second.

“He’ll be fine,” Fisher told FOX Sports Florida. “Maybe a round at most. I think he’ll still play in the NFL and be very highly drafted.”

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Carradine recorded 11 sacks this season, his first as a starter, and proved to be more than just a one-dimensional pass rusher: He was also strong against the run and led Florida State’s defense in total tackles.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Florida State’s likely first-rounder Tank Carradine suffers torn ACL”
  1. southpaw2k says: Nov 26, 2012 1:56 PM

I don’t quite understand Fisher’s quote. Is he saying that Carradine will fall into the second round in the upcoming draft?

And is it just me, or has the talent pool in recent drafts been a whole lot deeper than in previous years? There were a number of picks where talent slipped into the late second round and early third. I don’t recall slips like those until recently.

(And before anyone mentions Tom Brady’s name, nobody ever heard of him prior to 2001 anyway. He doesn’t count.)

2. realitypolice says: Nov 26, 2012 1:56 PM

Great name.

3. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 26, 2012 2:14 PM

when money walks out, pain walks in

4. blacknole08 says: Nov 26, 2012 2:24 PM

That sucks; I knew it was an ACL tear when I saw it happen live. Got a big game this weekend for the ACC title vs. Georgia tech too, and I expect them to run towards Tank’s side all game. Besides, him and Brandon Jenkins (and of course Bjorn Werner) could all be gone by the first 2 rounds next year.

Get well Tank!

5. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 26, 2012 2:39 PM

As an FSU fan, that game was a complete disaster from the opening play, which no one did on our defense out of the gate all game: a first down 10+ yard run. For him to get hurt like this at that point in the game just added injury to… injury. Not insult to injury.

Tank has Pierre-Paul ability, but I do not think he has that type of ceiling. He will be very good for whoever picks him up. Jenkins is the one that people need to be salivating over, and if Bjoern enters the draft, he will be all-galaxy with the highest ceiling of any DE I’ve seen in over 15 years.

6. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 26, 2012 3:19 PM

blacknole08 says: Nov 26, 2012 2:24 PM

Get well Tank!
    ————–

Mario needs to step up anyway. Just like Tank did for Jenkins.

7. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 26, 2012 3:41 PM

Those who watch college football knew who Brady was. He just wasn’t highly regarded as he shared snaps with Henson.