Titans fire offensive coordinator Chris Palmer

Chris Palmer AP

When Titans owner Bud Adams ripped his team and its coaching staff early this month, assistant coaches were said to be fearing for their jobs. Now one assistant has lost his job.

Titans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer has been fired, the team announced on Monday night. Dowell Loggains has been promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator for the rest of the season.

I have a great deal of respect for Chris Palmer as a coach and that was the reason we brought him here,” head coach Mike Munchak said in a statement. “I appreciate the time and effort he put in here and I want to wish him and his family the best moving forward. As an offense I didn’t feel like we were progressing the way that I had hoped. I believe we needed a change in direction and I hope to see that progress in our remaining games. Dowell has worked here for a number of years under some very successful coordinators and he is ready for this challenge.”

The 63-year-old Palmer has a wealth of experience running NFL offenses and has previously served as head coach of the Browns, offensive coordinator of the Texans and Jaguars, and a position coach with the Giants, Cowboys, Patriots and Oilers.

The Titans are 4-7 and coming off a disappointing 24-19 loss to the Jaguars on Sunday.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Titans fire offensive coordinator Chris Palmer”
  1. driftw00d says: Nov 26, 2012 10:24 PM

Should’ve been you Jerry Gray…

2. idriveamoped says: Nov 26, 2012 10:27 PM

Off the top of my head I cant think of a hold out that produced the following year, or few years after they were finally signed “chris johnson” Get rid of CJ’s absurd 4th quarter inflation stats, and he is mediocre.

Can anyone tell me a hold out, that actually didnt flop? My brain is slow, I know there are a few just cant think of any at this time.

But, it seems more often than not, the players flunks out, after a holdout.

3. hippieway says: Nov 26, 2012 10:28 PM

Great, the defense sucks so they fire the OC, who do they think they are the Eagles

4. moerawn says: Nov 26, 2012 10:29 PM

Yeah that’ll help.

5. f00sballfan says: Nov 26, 2012 10:33 PM

Never should’ve hired him in the first place.

6. sunnyd89 says: Nov 26, 2012 10:41 PM

New Offense=Get Kenny Britt the Ball

7. 31freezy says: Nov 26, 2012 10:44 PM

Good for you Titans at least you guys recognize the problems . (cough cough) Charger’s Aj smith

Good luck Titans !

8. daknight93 says: Nov 26, 2012 10:44 PM

another one bites the dust! it’s getting toward end of season and we will be hearing more coaches getting the ax soon.

9. brenenostler says: Nov 26, 2012 10:47 PM

One of many firings to come.

10. wikipediasaidso says: Nov 26, 2012 11:00 PM

GOOD. Can’t stand what Palmer has done (or not done, in some cases) with this offense. Loggains has been working his way up the ladder in recent years to some good reviews. Glad to see him get a shot. Hopefully he learned more from Heimerdinger than from Palmer when it comes to play calling.

If only they had a young up-and-comer to replace Jerry Gray with. But he has much stronger ties to the organization and will probably get the courtesy of finishing the year.

11. 6250claimer says: Nov 26, 2012 11:02 PM

An OC named “Lo-ggains”? Wow, hopefully name doesn’t wind up describing his squad’s offensive output.

12. tjacks7 says: Nov 26, 2012 11:09 PM

You can have Bill Musgrave free of charge.

13. Canyonero says: Nov 26, 2012 11:14 PM

Chris Johnson is the greatest running back in NFL history.

I don’t know if that’s true, but I think I heard him say that.

14. jbaxt says: Nov 26, 2012 11:33 PM

My no accountability Chiefs are 1-10 and everyone’s still employed. Clark Hunt must be a democrat.

15. mrcogburn says: Nov 26, 2012 11:58 PM

Coach Munchak should learn the axiom of Ben Franklin before throwing Palmer under the bus: “We had all better hang together . . . or we will most certainly hang separately.”

16. larrybrown43 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:01 AM

These moves never work. Never. Owners need to own and let football guys do the footballing.

Trust me, I know. I’m a Skins fan.

17. 4t9er says: Nov 27, 2012 12:11 AM

The Titans offense was extremely predictable in the few times I saw them. Palmer is an old school coach that is not catching up with offensive innovation.

18. ravenmuscle says: Nov 27, 2012 1:00 AM

Not to worry…Norv Turner will be available to fix all the problems with the Titans.

19. cobibones13 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:23 AM

So why does Munchak still have a job? What does he even do as the HC? They blame Palmer for the offense, they’ll end up blaming the DC for the defense and fire him in the offseason. Anyone else think Munchak is just not HCing material?

I guess you get what you pay for, Bud.

20. lightofkolob says: Nov 27, 2012 2:13 AM

How does Chris Palmer keep getting an nfl job? Debacle in Cleveland, David Carr…..the list goes on.

21. gatorsandsteelerssuckbigblackclocks says: Nov 27, 2012 2:44 AM

Long LONG overdue! Why can’t this organization ever be ahead of the curve? We are like the fat, middle-age white guys who are still walking around in cargo pants and crocs.

22. paychrisjohnson28 says: Nov 27, 2012 9:48 AM

OC Chris Palmer and DC Jerry Gray were both bad choices to begin with. Palmer was out of the NFL and a coach in the minor league UFL at the time of his hire and Gray was a fired NFL defensive backs coach when he was hired to be the Titan’s DB coach then promoted him to run the entire Titan’s defense ? The Titans have a lot of talent that isn’t used properly….hopefully, the Titans will have an entire new coaching staff in 2013…

23. kluuuuuuuuug says: Nov 27, 2012 10:49 AM

larrybrown43 says:
    Nov 27, 2012 12:01 AM

Trust me, I know. I’m a Skins fan.
    —————————————————-

Was Munchak’s call completely. Obviously the owner speaking up a few weeks ago likely added more urgency. But Munchak is trying to provide some sort of spark to get the W’s down the stretch to save his own job.

When you’ve already made the switch from old QB to the young guy, there’s few other options. And to those looking at the DEF, if we had an adequate replacement on the payroll Gray would be gone too. It’s likely just biding time for the whole staff, but knowing our luck we’ll make it to 8-8 and keep the gang in tact…

24. monkeesfan says: Nov 27, 2012 11:30 AM

The Titans defense has gotten markedly better from early this season.

The Titans offense has shown explosiveness this year – if promoting Loggains helps then it’s worth it. Locker has shown he’ll be good.

25. wikipediasaidso says: Nov 27, 2012 12:01 PM

cobibones13 says:
    Nov 27, 2012 1:23 AM

I guess you get what you pay for, Bud.
    =======

I don’t have as many beefs with Munchak, yet. Truth is he got the job late and was behind the eight ball trying to assemble a staff in the midst of a lockout, and a very uncertain QB situation. He went the safe route with a vet like Palmer, and don’t really blame Munchak for giving Palmer a normal offseason/season this year to show what direction Palmer really wanted to go with the offense.

But now we know. Full offseason, coach’s choice on starting QB, solid set of skill players, and Palmer’s done nothing with it.

Same can be said for Jerry Gray on the other side but there’s not a logical replacement to plug in right now. If Munchak stands pat with Gray after the season, then I’ll start wondering about Munchak.

26. raiderapologist says: Nov 27, 2012 5:22 PM

Titan fan gets what Raider fan wants. Swing your axe, Dennis Allen!