Chris Palmer hands out some gifts on his way out the door

Mike Munchak, Chris Palmer, Bruce Matthews AP

Chris Palmer might not have called effective plays for the Titans offense this season, but he’s at least an efficient shopper.

Asked about his reaction to being fired last night, Palmer said he played the role of Santa Claus, handing Titans head coach Mike Munchak a gift and going on his way.

I gave him his Christmas present, said Merry Christmas, and then left,’’ Palmer told Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean. ”There was nothing I could do at that point. The decision was made. I said, “OK” And I just left it at that.”

Palmer wasn’t pleased with the decision — Who ever is when they’re fired? — but didn’t appreciate the idea he was to blame for the Titans struggles, with second-year quarterback Jake Locker fighting through injuries and a group of young players in a transitional phase.

The Titans rank 24th in total offense, and a loss to the Jaguars was apparently too much to bear without offering someone up.

“I think when you break a quarterback in, you are going to be in a situation where you are going to have your ups and downs,’’ Palmer said. “Young quarterbacks, you have to go through this period. They just don’t step in and become great quarterbacks. It takes time to develop. And [wide receiver] Kenny Britt is not 100 percent. I just think there’s more issues than people want to admit to.

“Is it an easy process? No, it is not an easy process. It is something you just have to get through.

“But I wish them luck. . . . I respect those guys on the staff. Several of them are my friends and I hope it all works out for them. They have families and children, and I hope it works out for them.”

Asked about his replacement, quarterbacks coach Dowell Loggains, Palmer was as diplomatic as possible.

“I thought he was doing a good job this year,’’ Palmer said. “Munch has known him for a longer period of time and they have a good feel for each other. But the issues are still there. I wish him luck.”

That’s the proverbial lump of coal in the stocking on his way up the chimney.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
16 Responses to “Chris Palmer hands out some gifts on his way out the door”
  1. mburkett1980 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:18 PM

I’ve never quite understood why this guy keeps getting O.C. jobs. It seems like every stop he goes to, the offense ends up stinking.

2. redrifle14 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:18 PM

class act.

3. joetoronto says: Nov 27, 2012 1:23 PM

That’s one classy dude.

4. flipper14 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:41 PM

The turnover with offensive coordinators around the league has gotten out of hand. The only current offensive coordinators who held their current job prior to the 2010 season are Kevin Gilbride, Marty Mornhinweg, Scott Linehan, Pete Carmichael, Cam Cameron and Mike McCoy.

5. bengalskuta82 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:45 PM

Wow! Nice of him to do that..Tough business tough decisions.I would be shaking and shivering while recieveing that gift.Good luck to him

6. kaf39 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:51 PM

Palmer is a great guy

7. houndofthebaskervols says: Nov 27, 2012 2:01 PM

Scapegoating, pure and simple. Way to go out in style Chris, and while you’re in the holiday spirit, want to buy my season tickets?

8. floriosbigtoe says: Nov 27, 2012 2:14 PM

Great guy but time has passed him by.

9. realfootballfan says: Nov 27, 2012 2:22 PM

mburkett1980,

It’s called friends, he has a whole lot of friends around the league willing to give him a job.

10. steelersrscum says: Nov 27, 2012 2:24 PM

I agree that Munchak is partly doing this to deflect attention, but this offense has been horrendous and Palmer blaming it on a young QB is an absolute joke. Our play calls were unlike anyone else in the NFL. No timing routes, absurdly predictable on first and third downs. etc. This guy had an offense poised to explode and made it a clown show week in week out. You put Britt, Washington, Wright, Cook and CJ in the hands of a coordinator that knows what he’s doing and you will have one hell of an offense.

11. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:25 PM

Please bring him back to the Giants. Eli needs him.

12. schulzey22 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:26 PM

Palmer’s resume as an OC/head coach is full of failures and firings, Cleveland, Houston, the UFL and Tennessee. If had a record of being good that’s one thing, he’s been bad wherever he’s gone.
    He wasn’t even good as the QB coach in NY when they won the Super Bowl, he was getting blamed for Eli playing poorly.

13. dbarnes79 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:55 PM

Not sure offense was the problem. Locker seemed to be excelling in the no huddle offense on Sunday. Defense has had more struggles if you ask me.

14. jboyxl73 says: Nov 27, 2012 5:16 PM

It’s hard for a rookie QB to learn much when he is always injured and to take the heat off of the new QB you have a running back that made his longest run to the bank then laid down on his team

15. dgrowe213 says: Nov 27, 2012 5:21 PM

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, RG3, and Tim Tebow had no problem stepping in and being successful.

16. raiderapologist says: Nov 27, 2012 6:10 PM

Titan fan gets what Raider fan wants. Swing your Knapp axe, Dennis Allen!