Dolphins’ top fan rips Fireman Ed: “You’re a disgrace, man”

bigpapapummp

Fireman Ed stepping aside as the Jets’ most visible fan has not gone unnoticed by one of his AFC East rivals.

The Dolphins superfan who goes by the name Big Papa Pump told 790 The Ticket in Miami that he’d never quit on his team, and doesn’t respect a fan who would.

“If you’re stepping down because of what you see, getting your butt whupped week-in and week-out and you haven’t been to the Super Bowl since Super Bowl III, that is a wuss. That is a wuss,” Pump said, via ESPNNewYork.com. “You don’t back out of your team like that. That’s something you don’t do. You don’t step down from being a super fan. You don’t do that. Fireman Ed, you’re a disgrace, man.”

For the record, Fireman Ed didn’t say he’s stepping down because the Jets are losing. He said he’s stepping down because the atmosphere at MetLife Stadium has become so poisonous that he can’t go to a game without having nasty confrontations with other fans. But Pump says Ed is sending the wrong message to the team.

“This team is looking up to him and this is what he’s telling them? You quit? You just give up? If you’re winning and you quit, it’s another thing. But you’re losing and you quit, that’s even worse,” Pump said.

Pump’s loyalty to his team is admirable. But if he’s right that the Jets are looking up to Ed, then that team is in even bigger trouble than any of us realized.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
56 Responses to “Dolphins’ top fan rips Fireman Ed: “You’re a disgrace, man””
  1. JP says: Nov 27, 2012 2:52 PM

I will reserve judgement until we hear the Barrel Man’s take on this.

2. 12strikes says: Nov 27, 2012 2:53 PM

Mascot on Mascot Crime.

3. bcb1999 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:54 PM

“This team is looking up to him and this is what he’s telling them? You quit?”

No offense to these “super fans”, but the teams don’t look up to them…

I’m sure the last thing Mark Sanchez is saying right now is “Fireman Ed is gone? That’s it…I can’t take anymore!”

4. cliverush says: Nov 27, 2012 2:54 PM

Ed can continue to be a fan without the antics. The other ticket holders in his section must tire of his constant noise and distractions. Give it up and let the young ladies on the field do their job.

5. hnicgm says: Nov 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Players are looking to fans for motivation?!?!?!

6. wolfpack152 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Umm, are the Dolphins and Jets play on the field so terrible we are actually posting articles about their “not-so Super fans” taking a shot at each other? Wow – why don’t we just concentrate on the contenders from here on out?

7. walker615 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Who knew what a ridiculously inflated feeling of self-importance these guys possessed.

Seriously, guys. Get over yourselves.

8. brettfavresmidget says: Nov 27, 2012 2:56 PM

I wonder if Super Fans give each other autographs?

9. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 27, 2012 2:58 PM

You know it’s bad when the team who begat Ray Finkle is ripping you.

10. kate773 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:58 PM

******************************************

This is what’s wrong with some of these so-called “superfans”. They inflate their worth to the team to such a degree its comical. Then its obnoxious.

11. tonyricemajorharris says: Nov 27, 2012 3:00 PM

What a couple of zeros

12. cantonbound13 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:00 PM

Looks like the only thing Big Poppa has given up on is healthy food.

13. oilcandroid says: Nov 27, 2012 3:00 PM

He knows of what he speaks.

14. realitypolice says: Nov 27, 2012 3:01 PM

Just another fool with delusions of grandeur.

Hey, “Big Papa”- the Jets weren’t looking up to Fireman Ed, and the Dolphins aren’t looking up to you. You don’t represent the team, and they couldn’t care less about you. If you never went to another game, they would barely notice.

That goes for all of you face painters and shoulder pad wearers. No player has ever looked to you for inspiration. They don’t feel a bond with you, and they don’t think you’re helping them win.

This isn’t me talking, this is what I’ve been told over and over by the many former NFL players I meet through my line of work and personal life. Most of them avoid fan interaction at all costs. Most, not all.

Just keeping it real.

15. mattwalshvideo says: Nov 27, 2012 3:02 PM

Big Papa Pump? Really?

Talk about a disgrace, that name alone is embarrassing enough, never mind wearing WR gloves to the game.

Your 15 minutes are already up.

16. loyalpanthersfan says: Nov 27, 2012 3:02 PM

I agree, loyalty is key. I hate those bandwagon jumpers, who changes their team based off win/loss records.

17. mavajo says: Nov 27, 2012 3:06 PM

*looks at picture*

I thought Patrice O’Neal died?

18. steelerben says: Nov 27, 2012 3:08 PM

It isn’t even that big a deal that “Fireman Ed” cashed in his chips this season. What is a big deal is that the douche did it in a press release. Do you really think that if you showed up to the game without a hat and didn’t stand up on your chair to start a chant that the world would be wondering why?

And “Big Papa Pump”? Seriously? Wasn’t that Scott Steiner?

There are only one set of superfans that will ever matter. And they were on SNL.

19. blacknole08 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:09 PM

20. draculalambert says: Nov 27, 2012 3:12 PM

Big Poppa Pump is a beast! I think he could take down Fire marshall Bill easily!

21. napavalleyshaun says: Nov 27, 2012 3:12 PM

I don’t remember Snowflake quitting on HIS team.

22. bengalsucker says: Nov 27, 2012 3:15 PM

You know it’s bad when your teams are so bad that your “super fans” are getting publicity from ragging on each other about who’s the better fan b/c they root for crappy teams. lol Good god.

We don’t have a “super fan” but the closest thing to it is the guy with a bengals colored storm trooper outfit which is seriously awesome. I’d take him over these two clowns any day of the week. He at least doesn’t say anything or rag on other “super fans” to get his 15 minutes of fame.

Go back to your projects apartment in Miami “Big Papa”.

23. dirtydrew says: Nov 27, 2012 3:15 PM

These guys are just playing male cheerleader. I laugh when I see these clowns. This is just an ” acceptable ” way of fulfilling their hidden desire… To be the center of attention as a male cheerleader. Men, if you call them that , who use fandom as a way to gain an identity through a team are pathetic. Go away Ed and Pump. Just take your Pom poms with you.

24. ningenito78 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:17 PM

Super fans? These idiots have titles? And they actually think the team gives a crap about them? Well that’s fun.

25. wolfpack152 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:18 PM

Reality Police: Yes I agree there is no personal connection between fans and players – but I think they honestly do appreciate the passionate fans. A stadium full of loud fans on 4th and 1 inducing a false start is a critical part of the game. Troy Aikman talked about that during his last broadcast from Jerry’s Delusional World: He couldn’t believe that visiting teams were doing hard counts on the goal-line in Dallas’ own stadium. Their new stadium fans suck. It makes a difference, and I believe fans who get more into it by whatever antics (painted face/costumes) tend to be louder than your whine and cheese club seat observers. Do you think the players actually don’t have a preference or get more motivated while playing in a sold out rocking stadium versus a mostly empty one?

26. ampats says: Nov 27, 2012 3:18 PM

What is a Big Papa Pump? I have heard of Dolfan Denny. Anyway as a Pats fan I find it humorous watching one clown calling another one out.

Since Sun Life always has lots of empty seats, Big Papa probably does not get dumped on like FireHydrant Ed walking through the parking lots.

After Sunday, Big Papa will feel what the FireHydrant felt on Thanksgiving Night.

27. acgorski says: Nov 27, 2012 3:20 PM

Completely astonished. There is room for only ONE Big Poppa Pump in this world. And it is certainly not this man.

28. riverhorsey says: Nov 27, 2012 3:22 PM

People around him got tired of cheery Fireman Ed trying to blow sunshine up their arse every play.

29. jetfanfolife says: Nov 27, 2012 3:24 PM

I thought Big Pappa Pump was a wrestler

30. brewcrewfan54 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:25 PM

The guy either didn’t hear Ed’s reasoning or when he did he was too dumb to understand. Either way he’s an idiot.

31. jm91rs says: Nov 27, 2012 3:27 PM

It’s a sad day for pro sports when these icons start giving up on their teams. It’s unlikely that the Jets franchise will survive another season without Ed.

32. rj2323 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:28 PM

Fireman would kick his @$$

33. FinFan68 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:33 PM

A passionate moron is still a moron

34. hehateme2 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:36 PM

Wait…. the Bungles have fans?

35. realitypolice says: Nov 27, 2012 3:37 PM

wolfpack152-

Let me clarify. I didn’t mean to insinuate that loud crowds aren’t a huge advantage for the home team or that the players don’t appreciate the support.

I was referring to the fans who make it about themselves and try to act like they are somehow helping the team win with their over the top costumes and antics. And when I said players avoid fan interaction, I meant the organized team fan events they were always encouraged to go to where those over zealous, self-appointed “super fans” were always bound to show up and act like the players owed them something.

36. lifetimeskinsfan739 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:51 PM

So Pump is one of those guys who just reads the headline and none of the article but wants to talk to everyone about it? Nice.

37. lucky5936 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:57 PM

Well said!!!

38. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 27, 2012 4:05 PM

Fans in DC with bags over their faces arent immpressed

39. blackandbluedivision says: Nov 27, 2012 4:08 PM

Pump must be jealous. Fireman Ed has to fight with other fans who always get on him. Pump doesn’t because the Dolphins stadium is so empty there’s no one around for him to fight with.

40. finbukake says: Nov 27, 2012 4:08 PM

If the Jets were winning that idiot would be on someone’s shoulders with that stupid hat on.

41. handsatlanta says: Nov 27, 2012 4:12 PM

Prediction: the Dolphins cut Big Papa Pump and sign Fireman Ed after he clears waivers.

42. tbaggins79 says: Nov 27, 2012 4:13 PM

JP says:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:52 PM
    I will reserve judgement until we hear the Barrel Man’s take on this.

*******************************************

I hate to break it to you JP, but you’ll be waiting awhile if you’re wanting to hear from Barrel Man; he passed away years ago.

43. jcd213 says: Nov 27, 2012 4:55 PM

I’m a die hard dolphins fan, and I’ve never heard of this Big Bubba Gump character you write of.

44. aboselli says: Nov 27, 2012 5:28 PM

“I, along with the other 920 fans there, was really feeling down because the Dolphins were getting whipped by 30 points but there was a guy there who really picked up our spirits by wearing a team hat, jersey and receiver gloves. He yelled a lot and walked around. Boy – was my day changed.

The players seemed to enjoy it as well. With their newfound inspiration, they only lost by 24. It was almost as if their concentration was doubled as not one of them turned their head even once to look at him. That guy was a godsend. I can’t imagine them playing the game without him in attendance.”

45. pisano says: Nov 27, 2012 5:33 PM

I’ve been a Jet fan since 1967, and I’m ashamed to admit it anymore. The Jets reminded me of the Keystone cops last game. I’ve said this before, they need a total make over, from the top to the bottom.

46. jaymc1988 says: Nov 27, 2012 6:23 PM

im sure its hard to get excited when ur losing by 20 points a game and sanchez is ur QB but i thought the same thing u dont quit on ur team even if ur a fan… as a giants fans i stuck through those brutal dave brown, kanny kannel and kent graham eras until i got to the eli era and im sure as soon as ELI retires its back to 5-11 football again that ill get through too…

firemen ed should never be allowed back in that stadium for publicly quitting. sap

47. beeronthefridge says: Nov 27, 2012 6:52 PM

“I’m surprised Big Papa Pump hasn’t been hassled by Phins fans for wearing that Chad Henne jersey in the pic.”

I hate to disappoint you but Henne – the worst qb in dolphins history – is not the only one who wore number 7.

Number 7 was worn by illustrious old dolphins: Craig Erickson
    A.J. Feeley, Fuad Reveiz, Charlie Baumann, Joe Prokop, Dale Hatcher, Guy Benjamin, Billy Lothridge.

48. tiggerblood says: Nov 27, 2012 8:14 PM

Lots of Negativity here.

49. mavix27 says: Nov 27, 2012 9:08 PM

Big Poppa Punk would be surprised to know that Fireman Ed was a Dolphins fan until 1975 when he became a Jets fan.

He also did NOT originate the Jets chant although he takes credit for it.

Not all Jets fans like Fireman Ed and don’t feel he is a superfan or represents a majority of Jets fans.

He’s a selfish prick who’s 15 minutes of fame are over…

50. tomtravis76 says: Nov 27, 2012 9:23 PM

The second this guy can’t pay for his tickets, he becomes another Miami Dolphin season ticket holder their staff has to track down for non payment, eventually his seats will be dropped. You don’t pay the Dolphins could careless how much you like to by their merch.

51. bullcharger says: Nov 27, 2012 9:31 PM

52. raiderapologist says: Nov 27, 2012 9:44 PM

The saddest part of this story is the “Top 10″ thing I once watched on NFLN that had a guy in a Raider shield costume going against our own Mike Florio for camera time. The guy was getting interviewed while wearing a rubber Raider shield on his head, and then they asked Florio for his take on some game, or “Best receiving duo”, or some such nonsense. At first I was embarrassed for Florio, since he had to debate a guy wearing a Raider costume. Then I realized I should be embarrassed for myself, because I watched it.

53. fishyinalittledishy says: Nov 28, 2012 5:53 AM

Big Dolphin fan that i am this is complete bull.
    I blame the idiots in the press asking a pumped up loony tune what he thinks about another nutter on another team what else is going to say.

54. dcee101 says: Nov 28, 2012 7:07 AM

As a Dolphin fan I could care less about what this guy says. We have NO RIGHT TO MOCK Jets fans. I’ve been going to games since 1986, and this year is by far the worst in our franchise history. The stadium feels like the team is playing the 4th game of the preseason every week.

55. maniakalol says: Nov 28, 2012 10:28 AM

bullcharger says: “As a Patriots fan, this is about as funny as it gets. A war of superfans is getting the press for Miami and the Jets. Man, I’m not looking forward to Brady retiring and having to deal with this kind of stuff again.”

Not looking forward to Brady retiring and your team slipping back into pure irrelevence like it was from inception to 2001?

56. dukemarc says: Nov 28, 2012 3:40 PM

Easy now BPP, your team hasn’t been relevant since Dan Marino forgot to hold the ball “laces out”.