Report: Kendall Hunter out for season

Kendall Hunter AP

The 49ers have impressive depth at the skill positions.  And that depth is about to get tested.

Running back Kendall Hunter is out for the season with an ankle injury, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today.  Hunter joins receiver Kyle Williams as key offensive cogs who were lost for the year in Sunday’s win over the Saints.

As Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com explained during Tuesday’s PFT Live, the loss of Hunter likely means more opportunities for Brandon Jacobs, and not necessarily the debut and/or extended use of second-round rookie LaMichael James.

As to Williams’ absence, Maiocco thinks it will translate into more Randy Moss, not more/any first-round rookie A.J. Jenkins.

Still, the Hunter and Williams injuries nudge the to-date unused rookies farther up the chart.  If others are injured, it’ll be time to see whether this year’s first-round and second-round picks can make the same kind of impact that last year’s first-round and second-picks, Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick, respecitvely, are making

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Report: Kendall Hunter out for season”
  1. bathroomben7 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:45 PM

Why is there no mention of how he got injured? That Jonathan “the Bounty Hunter” Vilma twisted it on a tackle?

2. redrifle14 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:45 PM

Doesn’t matter, this team is loaded with depth. I’m not a 49er fan by any means, but a plane crash could take out half the starters and they would be fine…

3. sonoco says: Nov 27, 2012 12:54 PM

Vilma gonna get paid !!

4. los5828 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:54 PM

Lamichael James has big shoes to fill. Hope he’s up for it. I’d rather see him than Jacobs. Since he’s a scat back like hunter

5. hopper15 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:55 PM

It’s officially LaMichael James time.

6. blacknole08 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:56 PM

I would rather play James and see what he has. He has fresh legs coming off the bench and is dynamic with the football.

We already know what Jacobs can do.

7. ninerdynasty says: Nov 27, 2012 12:57 PM

The NFL needs to look at Vilma in that play.. he was clearly twisting Hunters ankle after the play was over..

8. Nevis says: Nov 27, 2012 1:01 PM

This is a significant blow to the 49ers running game. Hunter is very powerful and a perfect 2nd runner behind Gore.

But he isn’t their first RB and they have depth.

Dixon and Jacobs better start sharpening their cleats — and this signifies even more the Niners will need Kaepernick because the running options just narrowed.

9. punkmonkeyfaces says: Nov 27, 2012 1:01 PM

Replacing Kendall Hunter with Brandon Jacobs is like trying to fit the square in the triangle hole. If I had a vote it would be for us to bring up LMJ.

10. tennis22drew says: Nov 27, 2012 1:03 PM

Thanks for re-instating Vilma

11. mophatici says: Nov 27, 2012 1:05 PM

After further review, Vilma is still a dirty player. Hard for him to clear his name when replay shows him wrenching Hunter’s ankle long after play is over.

12. supremekingz says: Nov 27, 2012 1:06 PM

Maybe Brandon Jacobs can stop whining a bit, and I really want to see what LaMichael James can do. LaMichael James was the MAN at Oregon.

And I think as we approach the playoffs, more Randy Moss and more James has got to be a goot thing. Just more weapons that the defense has to respect

13. mmsierra says: Nov 27, 2012 1:07 PM

Too bad
    Kendall Hunter was a real contributor to this team
    To say nothing of Kevin Williams
    WHO will take their roster spots ???

I hope Randy Moss and Brandon Jacobs both get more playing time.
    For Jacobs, it would be ANY playing time
    How are Jenkins and James working out in reserve?
    Odd not to use healthy 1st and 2nd round picks

14. stampede101 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:21 PM

“Little 32!” *in my Greg Williams voice*

15. joetoronto says: Nov 27, 2012 1:24 PM

God forbid something happens to Frank Gore, or it’s Brandon Jacobs time.

16. elmaxoh says: Nov 27, 2012 1:25 PM

Bad news for Kendall but I really want to see what LaMichael James can do in the NFL.

17. goldrush36 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:32 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

18. justintuckrule says: Nov 27, 2012 1:32 PM

Best news SF fans could have hoped for b/c it pushes Jacobs up the chart. Not a SF fan at all and I know Hunter will be missed but the ONLY element that SF is missing is championship meddle. Jacobs brings that it droves.

19. gochargersgo says: Nov 27, 2012 1:44 PM

How is Vilmas ankle twist receiving no attention? Much more deliberate and dangerous than hitting a defenseless receiver in live game action…

20. rhone16 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:02 PM

Suddenly, drafting skill position depth in the first two rounds looks like it was the smart thing to do. It will be interesting to see how much playing time James and Jenkins get (compared to Jacobs and Ginn) and how they perform.

21. mikeinsanfran says: Nov 27, 2012 2:09 PM

I’m a niners fan and have watched the replay and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary from Vilma. Those saying he “caused” this injury can you please provide some evidence? I watched the game replay twice last night and saw nothing.

22. mikeinsanfran says: Nov 27, 2012 2:10 PM

justintuckrule – You don’t know football if you think Jacobs is better for this team than Hunter was. Beat it troll.

23. 1phd says: Nov 27, 2012 2:11 PM

If the backups step in and play like Colin did in replacing Alex Smith, other teams are gonna be in a world of hurt.

24. really2011 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:52 PM

mikeinsanfran says:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:09 PM

————————————————-

Thank you very much Mike. Vilma didn’t twist his ankle, he actually rolled on it making the tackle. But of course people see what they want to see.

25. tinbender2000 says: Nov 27, 2012 2:55 PM

mikeinsanfran, you must have blinked for a long time. I saw it, millions of people saw it, and I’m not a 49re’s fan. If Hunter’s out for the year, Vilma should be out for the year.

26. namelessfacelessfan says: Nov 27, 2012 3:01 PM

Can anyone tell me what time of the game this play takes place in?

I’d like to have a look at the play myself.

27. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Nov 27, 2012 3:33 PM

It was either during the 2nd 49ers drive of the 3rd quarter or the long drive spanning the end of the 3rd into the 4th quarter….

28. justintuckrule says: Nov 27, 2012 3:38 PM

mikeinsanfran says:
    Nov 27, 2012 2:10 PM

——————————–
    Apologies. My comment came off as cheering on an injury. I didn’t intend for that. All I am saying is that SF has it all EXCEPT for the “intangible” which Jacobs now brings. He wasn’t any better last year with us than he is with you but he set the tone for us in a few big games…namely against Atlanta. Trust me on this. A lot can be said for a vet that’s “been there done that”.

29. jintzforever says: Nov 27, 2012 9:22 PM

As a New York Giants fan I hope Jacobs gets the call because he sucks Mr. tiptoe. I want to see LaMichael James play as a duck fan LMJ!

30. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 28, 2012 1:42 PM

Proof or it didn’t happen.

31. musicman495 says: Nov 29, 2012 1:00 AM

Well, well, well, press reports in SF are now that Hunter’s injury was not to his ankle.