Troy Vincent: I’m offended that the Eagles have no desire to win

23-troy-vincent Getty Images

Troy Vincent is a former player who now serves as the NFL’s V.P. of Player Engagement. That title might suggest that he needs to take the diplomatic approach to discussing current NFL players, but Vincent used harsh terms in an interview about one of his former teams.

Vincent, who played for the Eagles from 1996 to 2003, told USA Today that he’s personally bothered by seeing this year’s Eagles failing to work hard and show a desire to win for coach Andy Reid.

“I’m offended,” Vincent said. “”I’m a former player, but I’m passionate about the Green. I want to see the franchise do well. I see it from afar. I see a lack of leadership when you see things happening on the sideline. It’s a want, a will, a desire. You have to hold each other accountable in the locker room.”

Vincent, who was speaking before the Eagles’ loss to the Panthers on Monday night, said that in the Eagles’ six straight losses before that game, he saw no evidence that the players were taking pride in their work.

“I was asked a question about someone’s hustle,” Vincent said. “Why are we talking about a professional not hustling? We need all 11 to the ball. Those are the things that leadership and personal accountability bring. Some of those things aren’t Andy’s responsibility. They’re about the 53 guys in that locker room. Don’t cheat the sport.”

Those are harsh words, but it would be hard for anyone who has watched the Eagles to deny that Vincent’s comments ring true.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Troy Vincent: I’m offended that the Eagles have no desire to win”
  1. daysend564 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:18 PM

No: Jackson, McCoy
    Yes: Reid

Cowboys sweep Eagles

2. cooklynn17 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:19 PM

Who?

3. r8rsfan says: Nov 27, 2012 12:21 PM

Same could be said for Oakland. Hats off to Vincent for speaking the truth.

4. tigershark49 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:21 PM

Troy is right!!

5. conormacleod says: Nov 27, 2012 12:21 PM

Andy Reid just stepped forward and said; “It’s my fault”.

6. larrybrown43 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:21 PM

This will continue to happen if the coach is perceived to be lame duck. Blame it on the owner.

7. drmonkeyarmy says: Nov 27, 2012 12:22 PM

The problem isn’t hustling or “not getting to the ball”. The problem is one of three things: 1. Every single member of the secondary is terrible. 2. They do not understand the schemes being installed. 3. They are not football smart enough to apply the schemes. Probably some combination of the three.

8. commonsensedude says: Nov 27, 2012 12:24 PM

I met Troy Vincent once – extremely nice guy. Agree with everything he said. And he forgot to add to his critique: “and HOLD ON to the football!”

9. dawkinsalwaysaneagle says: Nov 27, 2012 12:24 PM

Agreed Troy. Unfortunately it’s been this way for a long time and you are stating the obvious. Everyone knows what needs to be done. Just waiting for it.

10. kwgator says: Nov 27, 2012 12:26 PM

I’m offended that Troy Vincent is offended

11. pflynn20 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:28 PM

I hate this Eagles team. So many Kool-aid heart pumping players on this roster. As Eagles fans we’ve seen some horrible teams over the years but at least those players tried and gave effort. You could respect that at least. Those teams were bad from lack of talent. This current Eagles team is a joke. I can’t wait till it is blown up…

12. milkmansalamander says: Nov 27, 2012 12:34 PM

the eagles are just terrible. fire reid. not sure i want foles as my starter next year so im almost like keep vick, although hes owed a ton of money. new oline. cut babin like today or tomorrow, preferably today. draft a wr over 5’10, run the ball 20 times, cut asomough, release their trainer burkholder, sign koy detmer and lets start looking forward to the 2013 soul season

13. redrifle14 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:37 PM

I’m offended I took off work Monday night to watch that train wreck…. I want my Vacation day back!!

14. dolphins4 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:38 PM

This team needs Jim Mora Sr to coach them and tell it the way it is.

15. skinsfan87 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:38 PM

I agree with Troy BUT, just keep laying down for the Redskins… but by ALL MEANS, BEAT the Cowgirls

16. bathroomben7 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:38 PM

The best thing this team can do in the offseason is fire every coach and every starter not named McCoy. What a mess.

17. rajbais says: Nov 27, 2012 12:40 PM

I feel bad for Troy Vincent. He had to watch that crap last night? Well, he should feel fortunate that He doesn’t have to be given garbage on TV this Sunday night.

I can name five matchups that are better than the most beatable team in football (Philly) and the most overrated team football (Dallas).

The Cleveland Browns @ the Oakland Raiders

The San Francisco 49ers@the St. Louis Rams

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers@the Denver Broncos

The Indianapolis Colts@the Detroit Lions

The Seattle Seahawks@ the Chicago Bears

Honorable mentions:
    The Cincinnati Bengals@the San Diego Chargers

The Houston Texans@the Tennessee Titans

18. somedayphilly says: Nov 27, 2012 12:44 PM

Way to pile on Troy. Where was your leadership in the ’01, ’02 and ’03 NFC title games? You blamed others for the losses, including Jim Johnson. Go root for the team the Eagles rescued you from in Miami.

19. japmen says: Nov 27, 2012 12:45 PM

I havent even watched the eagles for weeks. If I want to watch a trainwreck, I prefer to see how the chargers try to lose. There is no effort or originality with this team’s collapse.

20. sonopazzo6 says: Nov 27, 2012 12:55 PM

Troy’s offended?!……..I’ve been an Eagles fan for 53 years and this is the worst mess I’ve ever seen…….I watched them at Franklin Field, Veteran’s Stadium and now the Linc…….I only hope I get to see them win a Superbowl before I die!!!

21. timpaz says: Nov 27, 2012 1:48 PM

I agree this team quit a long time ago, another reason to show Reid and his staff the door.

22. hor2012 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:50 PM

I really hate this for Andy. I think he’s a good coach but maybe the time has come to end this. JG in Dallas might want to watch what happens in Philly. I’m just saying.

23. makimaguro says: Nov 27, 2012 1:51 PM

Troy Vincent is a sharp dude. The NFLPA dropped the the ball by running Vincent out. Now they got this clown Smith in charge – still can’t believe that all the NFLPA ‘got’ in the new CBA was a few less practices in the off-season.

24. joebloww says: Nov 27, 2012 1:52 PM

The Eagles usually wait till playoff time before they suck this bad, lol.

25. rdefranc27 says: Nov 27, 2012 1:53 PM

The lack of veteran leadership on this team is a direct result of the Eagles organizational philosophy of getting rid of players once they turn 30. Bad strategy coming back to bite them.

26. karlpilkington says: Nov 27, 2012 2:28 PM

I am a life long skins fan. You eagles fans are pathetic. You know how bad and for how long the team I root for has sucked. Longer than I care to remember. You have had maybe 2 rough seasons and you bail on your team that fast. Thats just ridiculous, and you can and should not call yourselves REAL fans.

Good Luck dealing with RG and the rest of the squad for years to come. Be prepared for some epic beatdowns like the one the Eagles laid on us on that Monday night.

27. steeelfann says: Nov 27, 2012 2:51 PM

It rings true through like the Dockers pants commercial.

28. everhat24 says: Nov 27, 2012 3:02 PM

You hit it right on the head it is the lack of leadership ever since Brian Dawkins has been gone a real team leader, the Eagles just haven’t been the same. They need someone to get them Pumped Up on an off the field

29. dannythebisforbeast says: Nov 27, 2012 11:08 PM

Dawkins drafted by someone else. Reid biggest downfall was picking the players.

30. joetoronto says: Nov 28, 2012 4:36 AM

Vick quit, took the money and ran.