Bart Scott plays “I’m a pro athlete, you’re not” card on heckling fans

Monday Night Football With The New York Jets Getty Images

When the local NFL team consistently underachieves, the paying customers eventually will exercise their right to heckle the home team.

But when that happens, there’s always a chance that a member of the home team will react.

Last year, coach Rex Ryan reacted in the heat of the moment, drawing a $75,000 fine for directing a profanity at a fan who yelled that Patriots coach Bill Belichick is better than Ryan.

This year, Ryan and the rest of the Jets kept their composure while making the walk of shame to the locker room at the half of another home drubbing by the Pats.  Six day later, linebacker Bart Scott opted to shrug off the criticism by fans of pro athletes based on the fact that the fans aren’t pro athletes.

“At the end of the day, if you made it to be able to put an NFL uniform on, then you are one of the best athletes in the world,” Scott told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News.  “The person yelling at you probably was picked last in dodge ball all through high school.  So do you care about the opinion of them?  No.”

On Thursday night, much of the abuse came from fans in the big-ticket Coaches Club area.  But that didn’t surprise Scott.

“Those are the ones who feel more entitled,” Scott said.  “I would love to go to his job and see what he does and sit in his ear and talk stuff.”

Actually, that could be a good idea for a post-career reality show for Scott.  Non-athletes will try to do their jobs while Scott heckles them.

It would at least be more interesting than watching a game played by the 2012 Jets.

Permalink 75 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
75 Responses to “Bart Scott plays “I’m a pro athlete, you’re not” card on heckling fans”
  1. jimthebuilder27 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:01 PM

Kinda like when he flipped off a reporter after the season ended last year.

When they win, you never hear the end of it. When they lose, they go into full meltdown mode. And they wonder why people complain when they yak yak yak but get upset when people give it back?

2. armchairqb says: Nov 28, 2012 10:04 PM

Has Bart seen himself play lately? I not entirely sure he’s actually a pro athlete.

3. reed20ravens says: Nov 28, 2012 10:04 PM

these fans CANT STOP A NOSE BLEEEED

4. eastsideballa says: Nov 28, 2012 10:06 PM

That would be nice If Bart Scott can go to one of these losers’ jobs and talk trash in their ear the whole time and see how they like it. It’s hard being under the microscope and treated like a piece of meat regardless of what the pay is.

5. packerbackernj says: Nov 28, 2012 10:06 PM

Delusions of grandeur

6. steele9153 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:06 PM

can’t wait till this loser goes broke and cries about it.

7. modellforprez says: Nov 28, 2012 10:06 PM

Thomas whooped yo” a** now you wanna go at the fans who pay YOUS. this is why firestarter kev up and walked away from this circus it wad kiliing him. and bartley your the one who wanted to follow fatboy sixchin MR.obnoxious to the rotten apple, you hear so don’t go pissin and moaning now money… knock you the fu*k out!!!!!!!

8. moerawn says: Nov 28, 2012 10:07 PM

If you say so.

9. tinbender2000 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:07 PM

Touche on that last line Florio, how am I supposed to top that?

10. bartisadonkey says: Nov 28, 2012 10:07 PM

Does this idiot realize that the dodgeball players are the reason he signed a 57 million dollar contract??? Stupidity is a beautiful thing.

11. newenglandsports11 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:08 PM

Remember when this clown lost his temper and threw the ref’s flag into the stands? It is a shame that this guy is employed while millions of others aren’t.

12. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 28, 2012 10:08 PM

Bart Scott’s education included still playing dodgeball at the high school level?

Explains some things.

13. thebadguyswon says: Nov 28, 2012 10:16 PM

Judging by his command of the English language, one can assume that Bart Scott would be unemployed or in prison if it weren’t for the NFL.

14. koenig61 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:17 PM

Ooh I saw what you did there at the end mike, you gave a jab at the NY Jets team. Pretty clever. I have a suspicion you were one of the ones that Bart was talking about when he said “picked last for dodge ball”.

Im not aaying i support barts stance, however do you know the only difference, between Bart having to listen to unhappy fans and you? When you don’t like what us readers post negatively about you, you simply delete our posts. So on the one hand you talk about how athletes should have thicker skin, and yet you can’t handle a negative comment about yourself. Pot meet kettle.

I’m sure this will get deleted, but at least you will have to read it to delete it. I love coming to PFT, I love reading about all the good and bad the NFL has to offer, but its disappointing that there’s so much censorship on what us readers post.

15. profootballwalk says: Nov 28, 2012 10:17 PM

That franchise is going to be torn up over the off-season, and Bart Scott is going to go out with the recycling.

16. heyitsmejosh says: Nov 28, 2012 10:18 PM

how does this guy think money gets to his pocket and where that comes from?

17. teedraper says: Nov 28, 2012 10:18 PM

Well said Bart Scott. Well freaking said! He’s telling the TRUTH!

18. turboreattore says: Nov 28, 2012 10:19 PM

This comment by Bart Scott is the most supid one i’ve ever heard. Bart, the fans yelling at you are the same who give the money to your owner to pay you stupid dumbass. So i can not vote because i’m not a politician, or i can not talk about NASA because i’m not an astronaut. Some players are so stupid.

19. ripster65 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:19 PM

eastsideballa says:Nov 28, 2012 10:06 PM

———

I’d bet that’s almost a certainty for this clown. He just keeps going out of his way to make a fool of himself.

20. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:21 PM

if I was making millions I would welcome ppl yelling at me when I screw up. it would make be strive to be better

21. jonnywhosoever says: Nov 28, 2012 10:21 PM

difference is without the fans, Mr. Scott is just Bart who has no “proffesional athlete” job.

22. kokomike says: Nov 28, 2012 10:22 PM

Who is Bart Scott? Heard his name a few times, but have never seen him make a play. Seriously.

23. thecashcartel says: Nov 28, 2012 10:24 PM

This is always the last cop out an athlete has when his play can’t do the talking anymore. Just a total lack of class. Never insult the fans, if he tore his ACL in week 1 of his rookie year he would never be able to afford to go to one game on that McDs pay what a chump.

24. lumpyf says: Nov 28, 2012 10:25 PM

There are alot of dodgeball players commenting. Scott’s right. He didn’t add that most of the hecklers are drunk too. They wouldn’t have the balls to heckle if they weren’t. These same hecklers would turn around and kiss Scoot’s ass if he gave them the time of day.

25. stinger9 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:27 PM

Zing!!!

26. drunknbflo says: Nov 28, 2012 10:33 PM

I would be embarrassed to be a jets fan…and that is coming from a bills fan.

27. rajbais says: Nov 28, 2012 10:34 PM

Not good Bart!!!

America already thinks that your life is a bed of roses because its civilians feel that money = happiness.

28. infectorman says: Nov 28, 2012 10:38 PM

I don’t want to throw gasoline on this bonfire happening in Jets land, but this is interesting.

I’ve often heard other Pro Athletes take the side of the fan/heckler in these situations, responding with something like ” they have a right to boo and heckle”

Or another common response in these situations from the players who “get it” is,
    “I’d boo too if I paid money to watch us stink out the joint ”

Players mirror their coach.
    Maturity is in not in abundance over there in JETS land

29. gobirds215 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:40 PM

It’s always nice to see people show their true colors. That heckling fan probably put in extra hours at his job for Jets tickets to see you stink it up on the field. Yeah, to be in the NFL means you’re one of the best athlete. Doesn’t mean you’re better than the average person.

30. orthomarine says: Nov 28, 2012 10:42 PM

Picked last for dodgeball, but first as CEO …. I’d rather be a mathlete than athlete any day

31. charliedamon says: Nov 28, 2012 10:43 PM

If not for football, he’d probably be behind bars somewhere.

32. thesportsguy52 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:48 PM

Good riddance from Baltimore yet and still. So glad to be rid of you.

33. moth25 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:48 PM

Cut that meat! Cut that meat!

Ooh ooh, you’re my favorite accountant.

34. huskylawyer says: Nov 28, 2012 10:52 PM

“The person yelling at you probably was picked last in dodge ball all through high school. So do you care about the opinion of them? No.”

Ha ha. Well played Scott….well played….

35. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 28, 2012 10:53 PM

Hmm, Jets are losing, and Bart Scott plays for the Jets.

Maybe that means that I should be playing for the Jets so that I could taunt Bart Scott about how I’m the professional and he is not. Perhaps my taunt has more credibility on account of winning more games because clearly the Jets don’t have the right players.

But for real, I’d like to see Bart Scott try and figure out how to do my job, or the job of other fans. He probably wouldn’t have a clue what he’s doing for most of them.

After all he’s probably just a typical jock that flunked all of the tests unless he paid money to the smart people like this dork.

Do you want to punch me now too Bart? Or is this one of the times out of a hundred that I might be incorrectly applying the “jock is also a bully” stereotype?

NERD POWER!

36. fdugrad says: Nov 28, 2012 10:54 PM

Maybe Bart SHOULD go to one of the dodge ballers work place. He could see what a REAL job looks like and then he will be able to remember what a job is, because that is as close as this meathead will ever get to being employed when his football career is over, which should be in another five or six games.

37. goeagles55 says: Nov 28, 2012 10:54 PM

An entertainer says they wish they could go to a normal job and heckle their hecklers and you don’t mention Seinfeld? You’re losing it, Mike.

38. denverwally says: Nov 28, 2012 10:55 PM

Hey Scott, Mr. Pro athlete… NICE COVERAGE ON SHANE VEREEN!!! An 85 yard SWING PASS??? That was the most pathetic example of earning your pro salary I’ve seen in a while. But at least you put the paying customers in their place. BIG MAN!

39. murraysons says: Nov 28, 2012 10:57 PM

Yeah insult the fans, that’s a wicked good idea

40. geniusfan says: Nov 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Shane Vereen is still running Bart.

41. green41563 says: Nov 28, 2012 11:18 PM

___________________________________

Yeah, and that would be totally fair and reasonable if, like, Bart Scott paid 1/2 his annual salary for PSLs to watch those “losers” work.

It’s incredible that these people can’t follow the logical progression of their own arguments long enough to see the absurdity of it all.

42. enochmh2 says: Nov 28, 2012 11:22 PM

Bart Scott is an idiot,everyone knows that. But man its unfair that we expect all athletes to not say anything negatively towards fans.

43. cmdrsmooth says: Nov 28, 2012 11:25 PM

That as funny Bart…picked lasted in dodgeball…the man is funny. Leave him alone…fans are stupid who think it is there right to demean anyone.

If they can’t take it, don’t dish it out,

44. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 28, 2012 11:31 PM

Whatever bonus check Scott will get for sales of his jersey this year has just topped out.

Wait till he’s been out of the NFL for about 3 years and he’s broke and nobody gives a damn about him.

Not to mention the bonus heckling he’s going to get from Jets fans at the next home game.

lolercopter

45. nomesayin says: Nov 28, 2012 11:39 PM

“Those are the ones who feel more entitled,” Scott said. “I would love to go to his job and see what he does and sit in his ear and talk stuff.”

Somehow I just can’t see Bart sitting there talking “stuff in his ear”. I’m picturing a scenario more like Terry Tate, office linebacker. “That was a long distance call, DOUG!! Woooooooo” as Doug is thrown to the ground. I don’t know why he’s getting so upset. He should just do what Florio does. “Delete” any comments that hurt your little feelings.

46. gimmeabruschi says: Nov 28, 2012 11:57 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

The jets haven’t “underachieved”. They’ve accomplished exactly what they are capable of accomplishing.

47. brewcrewfan54 says: Nov 29, 2012 12:28 AM

Me Scott is right, the fans can’t do his job. The same fans though that he’s critisizing he probably can’t do their job either. Its a two way street dick head, he just doesn’t know it yet.

48. nashz84 says: Nov 29, 2012 1:15 AM

Jus because you but a ticket(s) to go to a game it doesn’t give you the right to verbally abuse a player or give u the right to say whatver u want , coach etc,, cheer , booo, yell or whatever jus dont Cross that line ,

49. joerymi says: Nov 29, 2012 1:23 AM

Many people’s behavior in many of these stadiums is nothing short of despicable. So drunk they can’t walk, assaults, threats, and verbal attacks that are thrown at players and rival fans.

While I think this attck from Bart Scott is cheap, and based on emotion, I do think this “fan vs. player” attitude is annoying.

Yes, people pay large amounts of money to watch entertainment (that is what it is). No, that doesn’t absolve you from normative social behavior.

50. stergersburgernips says: Nov 29, 2012 1:41 AM

A pro athlete might have been able to get within 15 yards of Vereen in coverage. Justsayin.

51. green41563 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:09 AM

Bart Scott: Doc, my knee is killing me.

Doctor: No, it’s not. I’ve run all the tests, and the MRI shows that everything’s fine.

Bart Scott: I don’t care what your stupid machine says! I’m in pain!

Doctor: Oh, yeah? Well, I’m a doctor and you’re not, so your opinion is irrelevant.

Bart Scott: Huh? So you’re saying that because I’m not a doctor, I’m not qualified to tell you what I think and know?

Doctor: Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. I was a great student while you were probably still learning to read, so who cares what you think? I’m a doctor, and I say you’re not in pain.

52. whoknowsnothing says: Nov 29, 2012 2:31 AM

Bart Scott is still with the Jets!!!! LMAO!!!!
    Salary cap causality this off-season or just a causality of being released.

53. tbtrojan says: Nov 29, 2012 2:58 AM

What an idioic way of thinking.
    So just because somebody wasn;t born with the natural physical ability of a pro athlete they can’t judge?
    Sorry but a lot of those last picked dodgeball players are a whole lot smarter than you Mr Scott and can understand when a pro athlete sucks, you don’t like it, tough, improve your game.
    Also I can’t imagine Rex Ryan got picked very early at dodgeball, how does Bart feel about being told how to play football by such a none athlete. Ryan sucks as a head coach so maybe Scott should start yelling in his ear.

54. chooch95 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:00 AM

I wish I was little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller
    I wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
    And a six four Impala

Cause when it comes to playing Dodgeball
    I’m always last to be picked
    And in some cases never picked at all

55. nevd83 says: Nov 29, 2012 4:18 AM

“Actually, that could be a good idea for a post-career reality show for Scott. ”

Bart Scott – office linebacker?

Nah, TTT already got that covered

56. lawyermalloy says: Nov 29, 2012 4:41 AM

Here’s a guy who played next to Ray Lewis in a 3-4 defense. Lewis would draw 3 blockers allowing Scott to roam free;you or I could make tackles under those circumstances.Since being in NY, he’s done nothing but run his mouth; I suppose that happens when you go from understudy on a good team to starter on a bad team. Ether way, after the season you’ll never hear from Bart again; he’s gone!

57. erfoster says: Nov 29, 2012 5:46 AM

hey bart you will be a non professional athlete in several weeks….”cant wait.”

58. kingpel says: Nov 29, 2012 5:47 AM

The lack of mental toughness on this team is absolutely embarrassing and it starts with the head coach.

59. shogunassasin30 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:00 AM

What Bart Scott said prob wasn’t the smartest thing. Doesn’t mean he isn’t right. I go to a game and most fans are disgusting. They are fat, jersey wearing, drunk a-holes. Just because you pay a whopping $50 dollars for a ticket, it doesn’t mean you can act like your entire happiness and well being in your miserable existence hinges on your favorite team winning. If the rest of your week is adversely affected by your team losing then maybe it is time to do something to improve your life. Then you have the fans in Atlanta airport throwing eggs at the team airplane. Freaking losers.

60. shogunassasin30 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:05 AM

brewcrewfan54 says:
    Nov 29, 2012 12:28 AM

I’m willing to bet anybody can do your job. These guys get paid a lot because you can’t just find some average joe to be a linebacker for the freaking NY Jets. Not exactly a fungible position. Whereas 2 million people can apply for your cubicle job.

61. MTLighthouse69 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:20 AM

This isn’t worth losing a pinky toe over.

62. bullcharger says: Nov 29, 2012 6:41 AM

I don’t think he’ll be a NFL player for much longer, so he won’t have to worry about it any more.

63. gizzmonic says: Nov 29, 2012 6:47 AM

One good injury and this dude will be working at subway, makeing fi dolla subbs

64. pats075 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:56 AM

Hey Bart
    Cricket is called Gentlemans game so don’t say that you play world’s best game and more people watch cricket than football.

65. fishyinalittledishy says: Nov 29, 2012 7:10 AM

Some of the Jets players have plenty of huff and no puff. As much as i dislike the Patriots they have a lot less huff but plenty of puff. Just go out and play some football and if you are any good then you can talk all you want its just that you might be a pro athlete Bart just not a very good one or a least not as good as you once were before the good times kicked in. Yes against the average fan no contest Bart but unfortunately for you guys you don’t play against us big boy.

66. chalkruz1989 says: Nov 29, 2012 7:52 AM

I understand what Bart Scott is saying but at the end of the day, if those stadiums weren’t packed with fans, his paycheck would be as high as his IQ.

That’s what some athletes forget to think about, fans spend their hard-earned money to sit and watch them, it’s a bit unrealistic to think that when the team is playing as poorly as the Jets that they are going to sit and be quiet.

67. christophershearin says: Nov 29, 2012 7:53 AM

Scott must think Obama is paying his salary, stealing money from the working class to pay his entitled ass……..

68. thesageofthestreet says: Nov 29, 2012 7:54 AM

And those same people have an IQ higher than Scotts 50.

Tank God Scott can play football or he would be digging ditches.

He is also the same guy & this is the same team that couldn’t get enough of the attention when they were winning. In fact never before has an a team or organization been more proud of coming up short in the Championship games.

Scott may be lourding his wealth & “status over the fans now but in a few years he will be broke & he will have lost his “status”. Then he will be begging those same fans for help.

What an idiot!!!!

69. thesageofthestreet says: Nov 29, 2012 7:57 AM

Wait what on 2nd thoughts these r Jet fans so their IQ is about 50 just like Scotts

70. Akula says: Nov 29, 2012 8:26 AM

Funny thing is that this moron probably took dodgeball as a credited coarse in college right beside ballroom dancing . He may know what he’s talking about.

71. bigjdve says: Nov 29, 2012 11:24 AM

I can see his point, however I have one as well.

Try being a teacher, police officer, fireman, or soldier. Their jobs are thankless, they get beat on every day, and they don’t get to say they don’t pay attention to you because you aren’t one of them.

Grow up Bart, being critiqued is part of being one of the “best” in the world. You wanted the fame now deal with it both the good and the bad.

72. tryclyde says: Nov 29, 2012 1:18 PM

I hear Fireman Ed was deeply hurt by Scott’s words.

73. wikidpissah says: Nov 29, 2012 1:18 PM

He didn’t look like the best in the world when Shane Vereen blew by his half baked coverage for an 83 yard touchdown.

Earlier this year when Brady was asked after a loss if he heard some boos from the stands he responded by saying he didn’t blame them because the Patriots played like crap.

A little accountability goes a long way.

74. dukemarc says: Nov 29, 2012 3:33 PM

The difference is Bart is that you wouldn’t have to pay top dollar to sit in someone’s office. They bought the ticket which gives them the right to let you know you stink, when in fact, you stink.

75. green41563 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:07 PM

shogunassasin30 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:00 AM

__________________________________

Oh, but see, they’re *not* $50 a ticket. The section shown in the Jets video is a PSL section with seats selling for about $25,000 apiece—to say nothing of the $750/ticket price tag that you have to pay *after* you fork over your $50,000 for two seats.

Does the price really matter? OF COURSE IT MATTERS. Why? For many reasons. First, people who pay a lot of money and then don’t get what they want are naturally going to be angrier than people who threw away 50 bucks. Second,
    if you’re looking to draw fans who are so obsessed that they’re willing to hand over the equivalent of a down payment on a house to watch the team, then you have to know that you’re going to get people who aren’t wrapped that tightly.