Egg-gate hatches investigation at Atlanta airport

Shot250004.tif Getty Images

On Wednesday night, the Saints’ team buses was pelted with eggs at the airport in Atlanta.  On Thursday, officials at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport said they’re investigating the incident — and that airport workers may be innocent.

“As the charter buses were leaving the airport, they passed by a parking area, the new Cell Phone Parking lot, where the egg throwing incident occurred,” a spokesman for Atlanta’s Aircraft Service International Group told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  “The eggs were thrown by people other than airport employees from an area outside of the ramp.”

As we hear it, the investigation could center on a food vendor who entered the tarmac area.  (That would explain the presence of eggs.)

Either way, eggs were thrown.  Whether it was an airport employee or a vendor or a fan or a second egger on a grassy knoll, those who did it eventually will have, yes, egg on their face.

UPDATE 6:37 p.m. ET:  We’re told that the Saints dispute the account from the spokesman, and that the eggs hit the buses before they even began to roll.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Egg-gate hatches investigation at Atlanta airport”
  1. buffalose says: Nov 29, 2012 5:38 PM

This should happen at all airports when teams arrive. I miss the days of hating other teams. Free agenecy is great but it destroyed rivalries. Whichever player ( graham maybe) clnplained about classless, needs to grow up. This is passion. More fans need to hate their rivals!

2. myvickinabox14 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:40 PM

This is stupid. Egging player busses has been going on for years. I egged the cowboys bus as an eagles fan nearly 10 years ago, and it was happening long before that. It’s not that bad. This is getting blown up right now. It will continue to happen after this as well

3. xsfmed says: Nov 29, 2012 5:41 PM

They’re unionized. The employees will be told not to do it again and they’ll go resume drinking and losing baggage.

4. iceshocker says: Nov 29, 2012 5:43 PM

Used to think atlanta fans were soft, this and the atlanta braves incident has made me give them more respect

5. pinchekeith says: Nov 29, 2012 5:44 PM

Welcome to America, where nobody can have fun anywhere, at any time and get away with it.

6. mgavin78 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:48 PM

Why waste time and money on this. Really!!

7. justintuckrule says: Nov 29, 2012 5:48 PM

Their punishment should be to force them to wear Brees’ jerseys to work for a week. I know if I had to wear a Shady McCoy jersey, I wouldn’t eat an egg again so much as throw one.

8. catquick says: Nov 29, 2012 5:49 PM

I’m partial the “magic egg” theory

9. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2012 5:49 PM

I think this is hilarious. Anyone who thinks this is a big serious deal needs to lighten up.

10. steviaquinn says: Nov 29, 2012 5:49 PM

HAHAHAH, I love it. The saints plays are acting like someone put a bounty on their heads. They must really fear being “carted off” by runaway flying eggs. Real tough guys

11. schmitty2 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:51 PM

Oh great..”Egg Gate” I’m sure Goodell will get involved somehow

12. goodolebaghead says: Nov 29, 2012 5:52 PM

When is Atlanta going to learn? If you want to stop losing to the Saints everytime you play them, stop pissing them off and giving them bulletin board material right before you play them each time.

13. suckit619 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:56 PM

A classless act committed on the classless Saints

14. thejohnsmith1122 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:59 PM

I’m not a fan of either teams but I hope Saints win. Like someone said, STOP giving the Saints extra motiviation to beat you.

15. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 29, 2012 6:01 PM

What’s next…people knocking on the doors of the Saints hotel rooms & running away?

16. azarkhan says: Nov 29, 2012 6:02 PM

Better eggs than bricks.

17. mrwillie says: Nov 29, 2012 6:04 PM

Good gracious! Did they stick their tongues out and say nanner nanner boo boo as well?

I don’t hate the Saints, but the whining is getting ridiculous.

18. daknight93 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:04 PM

Egg-gate scandal…I’m sure Roger will have something to say about this.

19. citizenstrange says: Nov 29, 2012 6:04 PM

Back in high school football when our bus left after an away game against a hated rival we had to put our gym bags up against the windows in case we got bricked.

… AND WE LIKED IT!

20. rpkllc says: Nov 29, 2012 6:05 PM

Im a huge Saints fan and I think this is funny. This went on all the time it is just that now everyone has a smart phone and a Twitter account. I never bought into the theory that it was the grounds crew as where could they get eggs, unless it was premeditated. Big to do about nothing.

21. bucforever says: Nov 29, 2012 6:11 PM

I gotta go with the Falcons in this one . I hope they destroy the Saints. When the Saints lose it make the Bucs a little closer to a play off berth. I know, I know. But I bought a powerball ticket too!

22. hrmlss says: Nov 29, 2012 6:16 PM

What was Vilma’s excuse this time?

23. 3beeps says: Nov 29, 2012 6:18 PM

A food vendor entered the tarmac area with eggs, and it’s all fun and games.

And when a fanatic with multiple passports and no visible means of support enters the tarmac — what will he be carrying ??

24. mazblast says: Nov 29, 2012 6:19 PM

I’m sure The Great Roger Goodell Himself Live And In Person will find a way to punish the Saints for having their bus egged by Falcons fans.

25. clayme52 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:19 PM

The only people that should have a problem with this is the airport

26. steviaquinn says: Nov 29, 2012 6:20 PM

There is absolutely no evidence the eggs were thrown. This is a witch hunt.

27. meldrel says: Nov 29, 2012 6:21 PM

I haven’t seen any “whining” by any of the Saints or Saints fans. Lighten up – it’s funny quit trying to turn in to something it’s not.

28. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 29, 2012 6:22 PM

Whoa! I live in the ATL. This is classic Atlanta standing up for its employees regardless. If its a bus driver that drags an old lady? Innocent. The cell phone lot is probably a mile as the crow flies from the place where a bus would take a charter from. LOVE IT. First Hartsfield cover-up that’s been good for Atlanta. See you at the game!

29. bigdingyguy says: Nov 29, 2012 6:41 PM

This will not be resolved until the league can find an impartial arbitrator, over a dozen appeals and a supreme court case. Anybody know the name of Vilmas lawyer?

30. musicman495 says: Nov 29, 2012 6:54 PM

Considering Atlanta’s reputation as such a lousy sports town, I am surprised they found enough fans who would even bother.

And for those who think the Saints or the city are actually upset about this, the team and local New Orleans media are laughing their heads off about it.

31. commonsensedude says: Nov 29, 2012 7:02 PM

One thing we know for sure – the guilty crew members don’t work for Southwest Airlines. (Otherwise they would have thrown peanuts).

32. cmdv8 says: Nov 29, 2012 7:03 PM

Drew brees demands an explanation!
    lol its even funnier that they are disputing the report just like bounty gate

33. silverdeer says: Nov 29, 2012 7:05 PM

Just wait! Winter is coming. Snowballs are next!

34. dabears7190 says: Nov 29, 2012 7:11 PM

Goodell will figure out a way to fine the perpetrators about $30,000. I believe that’s the going rate for illegal contact.

35. geauxjay says: Nov 29, 2012 7:17 PM

You know what the saddest thing about this is? It took THIS to make the media pay attention to the team with the best record in football.they needed this to wrestle headlines away from the garbage Jets and Eagles.

36. humptyfratz says: Nov 29, 2012 7:29 PM

If true, airport workers smuggled eggs onto airport property. Maybe Emperor Roger won’t care, but that could have just as easily been grenades instead of eggs. The TSA & Homeland Security will definitely care.

Those guys who threw the eggs will be lucky if they ONLY get fired.

37. hungbob says: Nov 29, 2012 7:35 PM

I am sure this hard boiled investigation will end up scrambled and leaving some people fried.

38. oaktown49er says: Nov 29, 2012 7:38 PM

Former CB Eric Davis talked about arriving in Oakland as a Bronco. He said the fans threw cans and yelled at the bus and he loved it. No one was harmed, this is all fun, enjoy it while you can.

39. beedubyatoo says: Nov 29, 2012 7:40 PM

“I egged the cowboys bus as an eagles fan nearly 10 years ago, and it was…”
    —————————-
    Seriouisly? An Eagles fan hating an opposing team? What next? Booing the Eagles?

Oh wait….

40. ghjjf says: Nov 29, 2012 7:54 PM

I can assure you that after the game the Saints will see their bus covered in toilet paper.

41. marcinhouston says: Nov 29, 2012 7:55 PM

Maybe Matt Ryan threw the eggs. He is used to throwing it to the Saints at the end of the night.

42. pappert says: Nov 29, 2012 8:29 PM

at least they didnt throw rocks