Jared Allen feels bad about ending Lance Louis’s season

Getty Images

A blindside block on an interception return cost Vikings defensive end Jared Allen a $21,000 NFL fine and cost Bears guard Lance Louis the rest of his season when he hurt his knee on the play. Now Allen is saying he’s sorry.

I feel bad he got hurt,” Allen told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “They viewed it illegal. You move on from it. There was no intent in it. My condolences to him and his family. You never want to injure anyone.”

Allen’s hit on Louis was a textbook example of the kind of hit the NFL is trying to crack down on: Allen launched himself directly at Louis’s head, and Louis didn’t see it coming and didn’t have an opportunity to protect himself. But while Allen does say he’s sorry Louis was hurt, he also used the incident as an occasion to repeat his previous claims that the NFL cracks down on defensive players while letting offensive players get away with cheap shots.

“My opinion is, if it was a defensive player and an offensive player blocking for a running back coming up the sidelines, we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation,” Allen said.

On that score, Allen is incorrect: An offensive player, Seahawks receiver Golden Tate, laid a very similar block on a defensive player, Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee, previously this season. And that block did generate plenty of conversation, and a $21,000 fine for Tate. The NFL isn’t always consistent in the way it administers justice, but the league has consistently made clear that coming back toward an opposing player to deliver a block to the head or neck area is going to result in a fine.

44 responses to “Jared Allen feels bad about ending Lance Louis’s season

1. Huge Packer fan here, but you gotta love Allen. Plays hard every snap, nearly broke the sack record on a horrible team. It’s football, move on

2. Illegal-Definitely
    Dirty- Possible, it looks that way, but in that split second he was just trying to make a play, nothing more. Also, he most definitely did not “launch himself at Louis’ head”. He hit him square in the sternum…that part was clean

3. Bush league play, there was no need to leave his feet and launch into Louis, clearly his intent was to cause injury.

No different than the hit Sapp laid on Chad Clifton. The game is dangerous enough without idiots trying to intentionally harm other players.

People often question why I’m a Bears fan even though I grew up in Wisconsin? 2 words, Charles Martin…no way in hell I was rooting for a scumbag team like GB was in the mid 80’s.

4. I’m sure most of the Viking fans who continue to whine about the Saints are ok with Allen and this hit. What a bunch of hypocrisy. That was way dirtier and more impactful than anything in the 3 years of the supposed bounty.

5. @clayme52

We get it, you’re tough and football is tough too. REALITY CHECK: Plays like this isn’t football. It’s unnecessary and cheap, for the sake of making a big hit for the heck of it. Allen ended a guys season over this, and he probably won’t be the same for the rest of his career. Allen was trying to be a tough guy and “wow” the fans with a bone-crushing shot…on a guy that wasn’t even affecting the play and didn’t see it coming. Yeah, you’re cool Jared.

Enough with the alpha-male attitude NFL fans. There’s a difference between football and assault.

6. No surprises here. Allen’s a dirtbag so his response was predictable. Basically, I’m sorry, but I meant to do it and I’m getting picked on because I’m on the defensive side of the ball. Does that about sum it up?

7. He didnt go high with an intent to hurt, but he went high because he know he couldn’t knock down Lance Louis by hitting him in the middle.

Too bad Allen wasn’t man enough to see if he could lay Lance out by hitting him square in the chest.

8. I love this guy he is a crack up. I actually think he did not intend to hurt this guy. He is my favorite Vike and I don;t like the Vikes

9. missed this on my first post

“the league has consistently made clear that coming back toward an opposing player to deliver a block to the head or neck area is going to result in a fine.”

There is a different set if rules for the Ravens. If not Boldin would be fined.

10. The Vikings are a dirty team. Everyone gets on Suh about a groin kick. Suh was obviously held (holding penalty not called) and spun to the ground. Suh wasn’t even looking in the QB’s direction as he was facing the ground. And every other know-it-all fan is calling him a dirty player. Jared Allen ends a player’s season with a dirty play and it’s OK because he says he’s sorry. I find it completely disingenuous and deplorable.

11. He should also feel bad about his terrible play this season… Most overrated player in the league. And this is coming from a diehard Vikes fan.

12. clayme52 says:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:08 PM
    Huge Packer fan here, but you gotta love Allen. Plays hard every snap, nearly broke the sack record on a horrible team. It’s football, move on.

===========================================

Yeah, and Allen, with his cheap shot almost broke Lewis’s neck. I don’t what there is to love about that ? Packer fan, figures !

13. mjkelly77 says:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:46 PM

—————

Absurd statement. Go back to your double wide and shut it.

14. claymatthewsisonsteroids says:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:57 PM

——————-

Diehard??????? Did you even watch last season. Team record in sacks. You must be watching the wrong team. Plus, what kind of diehard fan calls one of the best overrated. Go root for another team and get off of the wagon, we don’t want you.

15. He brings it full force on every play and to my knowledge has never been accused of being a dirty player. I think it was just bad luck for Louis, however if Allen had a reputation for this kind of stuff, then a fine would make more sense. #NDAMOKUNGSUH

16. Lions fan here….. This guy is dirty… Always was in KC and now is in Minny!

I’m glad we have a class act like Suh in our team that is not a rat like this trailer park trash!

17. Well I’m a Bears fan and I think the hit was a little dirty but legal it happens you move on. But it makes me feel better to know that the Vikes are going nowhere anyway. lol They are a joke, the Bears pushed them around last weekend and I really don’t think they are all that good. Enjoy another long offseason Vikes fans. lol You and the Lions should be in your own division. Overhyped at the start of every year.

18. I saw the hit, vicious-yes, illegal-no, it was beautiful, it was(is) football. Anyone who thinks this was a dirty hit is an airhead. No this wasn’t anything like the classless Suh. If the rest of the Vikings would play with Jared Allen’s tenacity and purpose and stop playing like they’re afraid they’re going to hurt somebody’s feelings maybe they would stop looking so incompetent! By the way are the Viking receivers being paid to “drop” passes?

19. The League appears to be trying to be fair on offense and defense here. Where it is not fair is hands to the helmet. It is called on the D all the time and offense line too, but a WR or runner does a stiffarm and his hands hit the helmet is rarely if ever called.

20. When did Jared Allen become classy as posted many times here? Sorry but with his past I would never use the word classy. If you don’t know his past then look it up.

21. chadman128 says:
    Nov 29, 2012 8:52 PM

The Bears are never going to win the SB with “crybaby Cutler”

22. “You and the Lions should be in your own division. Overhyped at the start of every year”

The Vikings were slated by many to go 3-13 or 4-12. Not sure how you call that OVER-HYPED? Correct spelling and not using “lol” every three words will lend a lot to your credibility.

23. I think Allen’s an obnoxious over-rated delta bravo, and that the ONLY reason he apologized (if that’s what you want to call it) is because he’s worried about the bullseye he’s earned for himself in the upcoming match-up with the Bears.

It’s damage control before he has to face the Bears again next week.

It’s basic self-preservation…or, in layman’s terms, being a coward and a phony and a weasel.

24. rickytheviking says:

The Bears are never going to win the SB with “crybaby Cutler”
    ————————————
    Anyone who insists on calling Cutler a crybaby is either a bitter Denver fan, or (as in this case) a homer for a rival team who bases their opinion on hearsay…Those of us who have watched Jay for the past 3 1/2 seasons know better.

25. larryboodry says:
    Nov 30, 2012 4:17 PM
    rickytheviking says:

The Bears are never going to win the SB with “crybaby Cutler”
    ————————————

Sorry Larry

I have seen him pouting on the sidelines

26. @rickytheviking:

So now someone’s facial expression, rather than their actual words or actions, makes them not only a crybaby in your eyes, but also unable to win a SB…How ’bout ‘The Bears may never win a Super Bowl, even with Jay Cutler, if they refuse to upgrade their horrible o-line?’

Sorry Ricky, but you could put any QB you care to name (except maybe Aaron Rodgers, who has the same o-line issues) under center for the Bears, and none of them would fare any better than Cutler has, and might even fare worse.