Joe Flacco knows Ray Rice saved his bacon

Joe Flacco AP

The good news is he can laugh about it now.

But Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco knows running back Ray Rice bailed him out by taking a check-down pass and converting an improbable fourth-and-29 in last week’s comeback win against the Chargers.

We got away with one and I’ll be glad. I could have looked like a big-time idiot if we don’t get that play,” Flacco said, via By Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. “I kind of went out on a limb there to check the ball down on fourth-and-29. We don’t get that, everybody is crushing me: ‘What the hell is he doing checking the ball down on fourth-and-29?’

“I don’t think that will ever happen again in the time that I play and it gets converted, especially on a check-down like that. I am just happy it happened.”

So is Rice, who said it compares with an 83-yard touchdown run against the Patriots in the playoffs in terms of his favorite plays.

“It was actually remarkable to see our defense,” Rice said. “This is the funniest thing: When I got back on the plane, the defense said when Joe checked it down, the defense was like, ‘What the heck are we doing?’ Next thing you see is the whole sideline going, ‘Go! Go! Go!’ I had my best friend’s mom tell me she turned off the game and said, ‘Oh, “Walking Dead” is on, and then came to find out we won the game.

“It was one of those moments where you realize you did something special and now it’s something I can live with.”

And so can Flacco, since it worked.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Joe Flacco knows Ray Rice saved his bacon”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Nov 29, 2012 10:01 AM

Flacco is a middle-tier NFL QB. There’s nothing wrong with that. Except he thinks he’s a top-tier NFL QB … and wants to be paid like one.

2. putyournameonit says: Nov 29, 2012 10:07 AM

Of course he did. Flacco will never be the reason this team wins big games.

3. ravenator says: Nov 29, 2012 10:12 AM

9-2 and no apologies needed. Your AFCN champs after Sunday. Soak it up haters.

4. joemammy says: Nov 29, 2012 10:18 AM

Ray Rice’s abilities, and those of a few other players, have fooled the Ravens’ fans into thinking that Flacco is a top-tier quarterback.

He is not.

Most times, the Ravens win IN SPITE of Flacco…not because of him.

5. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Can a Ravens fan please explain the massive quality gap of Flacco on the road and Flacco at home.

I’m quite interested actually.

6. ivyleaf98 says: Nov 29, 2012 10:36 AM

I’m sick of you ppl constantly taking shots at Joe. He didn’t have anywhere else to throw the ball. Rice was the only one open. I can’t believe he’s getting critizized for a check down. Would you commentors on here be as critical if Brady made the decision to check down? I think not!

7. modellforprez says: Nov 29, 2012 10:47 AM

so flacco can make any throw right? and if someone was open he would have gotten them the ball and ray was his only option so be it. what should he have done throw into double coverage?? he made the right play and if ray only gets 10-14 or even 3 yards he made the right play…

8. flipper14 says: Nov 29, 2012 10:58 AM

I’m quite interested actually.

_______________________

I think it’s interesting too. For some reason Flacco, not unlike other quarterbacks, is very dependent in being in a good rhythm. He seems to get into that rhythm much more easily at home. This past Sunday at SD his eyes looked like a rookie in the first half. He looked rattled and unconfident.

Early in the second half he hit the little underneath route to Torrey Smith and he was lights out after that.

I do think the thing that really get overlooked with Flacco, and the Ravens offense especially, is how many good defenses they’ve faced over the last two years. Last season, in 16 regular season games, they played ELEVEN games against teams whose defenses finished in the top 10 in the NFL in yards allowed. This year won’t be quite as bad (it will be eight games against top 10 Ds) but they are ninth in scoring.

9. brentfarve says: Nov 29, 2012 11:06 AM

Joe is an Elite QB and gets the wins and that is all that matters. AFC North champs after this weekend, then AFC Champs, then Superbowl Champs all off the arm of Joe Flacco and the always dominate Defense!

10. thesportsguy52 says: Nov 29, 2012 11:15 AM

I think it had simply become a straight up hobby for idiots and bandwagon steelers fans to hate on Joe Flacco. I hope you cry when he wins a Super Bowl so you will all be bored out of your damn minds. #PurpleReign

11. heydiddlediddlerayriceupthemiddle says: Nov 29, 2012 1:47 PM

All I can think about is how much I want bacon now!

12. guitarkevin says: Nov 29, 2012 2:04 PM

putyournameonit says:
    Nov 29, 2012 10:07 AM
    Of course he did. Flacco will never be the reason this team wins big games.

So, Leee Evans dropping that pass against the Pats in the playoffs last year was because of Joe, right? Joe didn’t walk it out and hand it to him directly so this is Joe’s fault, right? Joe didn’t put that ball 1 inch closer to Lee, right?

Get real dude.

13. guitarkevin says: Nov 29, 2012 2:08 PM

Very well put flipper14.

14. stealersfannot says: Nov 29, 2012 2:13 PM

Even those of us die-hard Ravens fans that support Joe will admit, he can be INCREDIBLY frustrating to watch at times.

His physical talents are amazing, but his mental acumen seems suspect. It seems his reading and reacting and pre-snap toying around with defenses is only mediocre. He doesn’t inspire nearly the same fear against the guys lined up against him that a Brady or Rogers or Manning does.

It’s why the no-huddle is so key and in my opinion why there’s such a huge disparity from home versus away games.

Unless he can hurry the defenses and force them into brining only 4 downlinemen each snap and falling into predictable coverage schemes, he’s screwed.

15. tyler200829 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:27 PM

How about instead, you tell me why hes the winningest QB at this point of career compared to anyone in history….

16. randallflagg52 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:56 PM

The most INTs Flacco has ever had in a season is 12. You can’t tell me a player who is that good at avoiding turnovers does not deserve credit for his team winning.

After all, Kyle Boller was working with a better defense and better O line and couldn’t win as much as Flacco does. So don’t give me that “it’s because of his defense” myth.

17. trevor123698 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:58 PM

Its pathetic that nobody here commented on how Ray Rice was clearly a yard short of the first down. He did not get that first down and the chargers should have won that game. actually, they did win the game but the refs cheated and gave it to the ravens

18. noquickreactionshere says: Nov 29, 2012 4:27 PM

People also focus on the 4th and 29 and forget about the other 326 yards that Flacco threw for. They seem to forget about the 3rd and 10 he completed to Boldin backed up on his own 11. Also forget about the weak holding penalty that negated a first down and lead to the 4th and 29.

Just deal with it people as much as you hate it… the Ravens are a very good football team and they (defensively) are getting better every week.

19. sophiethegreatdane says: Nov 30, 2012 2:30 PM

randallflagg52 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:56 PM

_________________

Not to mention, he doesn’t really have any defense this year, and is still winning.

20. ampatsisahypocrite says: Dec 1, 2012 3:21 PM

And they tell me I’m crazy for saying that Flacco is the least significant QB in the NFL.