Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard

Maurkice Pouncey AP

If you put any stock in fan voting for the Pro Bowl (be careful), Maurkice Pouncey is the best center in the AFC.

But he might be starting at guard for the Steelers this weekend, because of all their injuries on the offensive line.

Whatever is best for the team,” Pouncey said, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Pouncey’s move is pending the condition of left guard Willie Colon, who didn’t practice Wednesday with a sore knee. Coupled with Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, it’s a group as banged up as the quarterbacks they protect.

If he does slide outside, Doug Legursky would snap, after starting at guard last week. But Legursky admits he’s better in the middle.

“I think it is no secret around the league or around this locker room that I am a better center than I am a guard,” Legursky said. “I know personally that I am more natural there.”

But Pouncey hasn’t played guard since his freshman year in college, when he had 11 starts before moving to center for his final two years in school.

“I think he would be very efficient at left guard if he is plugged in,” right guard Ramon Foster said. “What is going to be the toughest adjustment for him is using his hands and how to set guys. At guard, you have more one-on-ones and are by yourself. It will be something he will have to get used to.”

Coupled with rookie Kelvin Beachum at right tackle, and they have the potential for three different starters from a week ago, which may be enough to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the sidelines until he’s fully healed.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Maurkice Pouncey could move to guard”
  1. steelpenbucs87 says: Nov 29, 2012 9:14 AM

Whether or not Pouncey is the best Center in the AFC is debatable (personally I don’t think its cut and dry but he’s definitely in the top 2 or 3), but his blend of strength and athleticism leads me to believe that he could excel at Guard. Assuming Decastro is healthy as well, I wouldn’t be concerned about going with Pouncey – Legursky – DeCastro across the interior.

The tackles concern me, however. Beachum looks every bit the 7th Round pick that he is and probably only made the team for flexibility. Hopefully Starks and Foster can go at LT and RT respectively.

2. ravenator says: Nov 29, 2012 9:15 AM

This team is so desperate its really sad. Pouncey won’t do a thing at guard but get bowled over

3. stoogy says: Nov 29, 2012 9:22 AM

These team is in serious trouble. The defense is going to look bad this week, mostly due to the fact troy is playing. He is out of possition 80% of the time and is always soo close to making a big play. But as of his recent games he has played, he just gets burnt instead of making the play. 35-10 ravens win big. Batch is going to get hurt.

4. psmith7716 says: Nov 29, 2012 9:22 AM

We are weak at the guard position. Moving Pouncey to LG makes us weak then at two positions.

5. bostonbias says: Nov 29, 2012 9:23 AM

Raves have been very very lucky for the last 2 years to not have any major injuries to offensive players. So as Raven fans will do, they will make fun of those teams that do have injuries. Then likely to make excuses and blame players when their team once again losses in the playoffs.

6. steelers4385 says: Nov 29, 2012 10:21 AM

I dont like excuses but when you are missing your FRANCHISE qb the opposing team has the advantage.

7. bigdaddydooko says: Nov 29, 2012 11:02 AM

Amazing. When I saw this story about the Steelers I said to myself “I wonder what ravenator has to say about this.” So I click on the link and, tada, there he was with the second comment.

He really does embody what the Ravens are most concerned with – being better than the Steelers.

8. stoogy says: Nov 29, 2012 11:14 AM

There is alot of teams better then the steelers this year. around 30. they already lost to some of the worst teams in nfl. raiders, browns, titans

9. stoogy says: Nov 29, 2012 12:31 PM

were is steelers owns you? did he changee his name in hiding?