Stafford sticks up for Suh, calls kick “one in a million shot”

San Diego Chargers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford does not believe teammate Ndamukong Suh intended to kick Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin on Thanksgiving. And Stafford says Suh is getting a raw deal because a stray foot happened to connect to just the wrong place.

Stafford said on WXYT in Detroit that he has never been kicked in the groin during a game, but he has had players hit him accidentally while being blocked or falling into a pile, and he doesn’t think those hits are dirty plays.

“No, never been kicked there,” Stafford said. “Those kind of unintentional hits, I think, happen all the time in the game. It just so happened I guess the camera was on him and that’s the way it goes. But things like that happen all the time.”

Stafford says he doesn’t wear a cup, and he doesn’t know of any other NFL players who do, either. That’s because the risk of getting hit in just the wrong place seems so remote that it’s not worth a cup potentially slowing a player down.

“I would dare you to find somebody that does these days,” Stafford said. “I think those are kind of one-in-a-million shots.”

Every proctologist’s story ends the same way.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Stafford sticks up for Suh, calls kick “one in a million shot””
  1. detroitsports1234 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:34 PM

Staffords a good teammate

2. 11wheatd says: Nov 29, 2012 2:37 PM

I’m not sure how this makes sense? “Those kind of hits…happen all the time in the game.”

Yet “I think those are kind of one-in-a-million shots.”

Contradicting to say the least in my opinion.

3. commonsensedude says: Nov 29, 2012 2:37 PM

There’s another Seinfeld reference that comes to mind when thinking about the prospect of Lions players and fans choosing to give Suh the benefit of the doubt here:

“It’s not a lie if you believe it”
    – George Costanza -

4. tennesseeoilers says: Nov 29, 2012 2:39 PM

Though a visit to Suh’s lowlight reel shows you when he’s involved, those are more like one-in-a-dozen shots.

5. zaggs says: Nov 29, 2012 2:40 PM

Thats what she said.

6. cubano76 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:41 PM

Pretty sure thats “two” in a million!

7. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2012 2:41 PM

Suh should have played the powerball then if he’s that lucky.

8. tecmobowl34 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:42 PM

If you’re going to be a dirty player/team, at least own it. Don’t do dirty things and then claim that you’re not dirty. That deserves no respect, and the rest of the league, well, they don’t respect the Lions.

9. dannyreneau says: Nov 29, 2012 2:43 PM

what is with the Seinfeld links and this site? You guys know there are others TV shows right?

Anyways. There is know way i’m going into a game without a cup. If that is a risk you’re willing to take i find that impressive

10. schmitty2 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:44 PM

Well Suh was the “one” in a “1 in million shot”

11. gregm5s7 says: Nov 29, 2012 2:46 PM

11wheatd:

What he is saying that incidental hits happen all the time during the game, but to get hit directly in the junk is “1 in a million”.

But in my opinion, looked intentional to me.

12. tatatoothy says: Nov 29, 2012 2:48 PM

I dislike the Lions more and more with each comment I hear… What’s next? Is Stafford going to say he supports Titus Young’s actions, too?

13. bombacim says: Nov 29, 2012 2:48 PM

Just another reason why this team will never get to the top. They do not have veteran leaders in their locker room to hold any of these players accountable for their dumb actions. The same goes with that dumb WR. Stafford and Johnson should have grabbed him and told him to get his crap together.

“Attitude relfect leadership”

14. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 29, 2012 2:49 PM

If you’re not going to wear a cup, then play at your own risk. A kid on the team I was coaching didn’t want to wear his cup and I said what if you get kicked in the store? Don’t think it can’t happen.

15. electionconfidential says: Nov 29, 2012 2:49 PM

Well I’m 53 years old and I’ve never seen it happen. Suh makes contact with his foot then makes a second “push”. It was a kick and it was intentional. Why the NFL would fine him but not suspend him is a mystery to me. Either he did something wrong or he didn’t.

The guy claimed he didn’t stomp another player last year although it happened right in front of everyone’s eyes. I don’t believe the NFL cares about excessive violence or injuries at all. This should have been a 3 or 4 game suspension…

16. clickablecontent says: Nov 29, 2012 2:50 PM

Lions don’t deserve Stafford.

17. ibreathefootball says: Nov 29, 2012 2:51 PM

This guy is always causing issues. Suh = Drama Queen

18. txhockeydad says: Nov 29, 2012 2:51 PM

Well, that makes one person who buys Suh’s lie. I like the Lions, but that was an intentional kick. Own it.

19. beavertonsteve says: Nov 29, 2012 2:56 PM

I’ll take the odds and bet Stafford $1 that Suh nails a second one before his career is over. Should be a safe bet, right Matthew?

20. shaggytoodle says: Nov 29, 2012 2:59 PM

I don’t believe Suh knew where the kick was going to land.

I just believe Suh was pleased to kick the guy anywhere.

21. Patskrieg dot com says: Nov 29, 2012 3:00 PM

As someone who practices martial arts let me say this…

If Suh actually planned an intentional kick to the groin from that position I’m impressed, and if Tony Jaa ever wanted to gain 300 lbs he’s got a stunt double waiting for him.

Otherwise I really truely don’t see how Suh could have meant to kick him in the groin.

22. hatesycophants says: Nov 29, 2012 3:05 PM

Enough! For cripes’ sake.

23. numberonesteelersfan says: Nov 29, 2012 3:07 PM

he is just trying to stay on Suh’s good side so that he doesnt do it to him in practice

24. trojanwarrior007 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:12 PM

I hope Stafford doesn’t complain when he gets a helmet to the knee.

25. astrosfan75956 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:17 PM

So you’re telling me there’s a chance.

26. geniusesq says: Nov 29, 2012 3:18 PM

Who cares about the Lions?

27. tomtucker says: Nov 29, 2012 3:21 PM

Suh is an idiot for what he did, and it is clearly obvious the kick to the groin was intentional.

And Stafford is just as idiotic for backing Suh on this, causing me to lose respect for the quarterback.

The Lions are a bunch of clowns.

28. mdpickles says: Nov 29, 2012 3:23 PM

Cannot believe these guys don’t wear cups.

29. phuriousjorge says: Nov 29, 2012 3:26 PM

Drew Brees of the NFC north.

30. bringbackwayne says: Nov 29, 2012 3:29 PM

Many folks here are easily sucked into the media’s obsession with Suh, and their slanted coverage. Suh plays with some nastiness, as he should, and I hope he doesn’t change to the “soft” style that you want. Time to move on from the “stomp” of last season folks.

31. davikes says: Nov 29, 2012 3:31 PM

A one in a million cheap shot.

32. tdbragg says: Nov 29, 2012 3:37 PM

After the blatant stomping incident from last season Suh has lost all benefit of the doubt . Most of his peers around the league will tell you hes a great talent but hes to aggressive to the point alot of his hits are cheap shots . The kick to the groin was definitely planned as he was falling forward . You can clearly see his leg retract and then go back up in the groin area . He can say it wasnt planned but the replay shows different . Whats hard to understand is why a player of his talent would have to resort these kind of tactics . Only he can answer that .

33. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 29, 2012 3:42 PM

Patskrieg dot com says:
    Nov 29, 2012 3:00 PM
    As someone who practices martial arts let me say this…

____________________________

I don’t believe that he meant to connect with his groin, but its obvious he meant to make contact the QB with his foot somewhere. And Suh also practices marshall arts… I believe he is 1 or two belts from a black belt…

34. bigwinintx says: Nov 29, 2012 3:45 PM

Yeah…

Stafford has his back NOW… Wait til Suh is traded or Stafford moves on and Suh gives him a “love tap” after whistle, and then get back to us if you think he’s just “misunderstood”.

Your man is dirty, own it, he does.

35. pixelito says: Nov 29, 2012 3:46 PM

Does anyone actually believe Suh didn’t intentionally kick Schaub?

36. SeenThisB4 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:47 PM

With Suh, that one in a million shot, happens everyday.

37. taxlaw26 says: Nov 29, 2012 3:48 PM

As someone who practices martial arts let me say this…
    _______________________

As someone with a pair of eyeballs and a set of legs, let me say this…

I don’t see how he couldn’t have meant to take shot. After Suh started to settle on the ground his leg extended out and up in quick jab and retract motion. This was not a natural extension of the play unfolding.

Now, he can argue that he was trying to kick him in the face and missed. He can argue that he had a really quick leg cramp that he had to work out. He can argue that he had some kind of seizure. But he can’t argue that he didn’t kick at Schaub.

38. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 29, 2012 4:04 PM

Great our team leader at the helm doesn’t understand how math and statistics work. One in a million? He’s not a very cerebral guy, which fits with my constant complaints with him that he has a problem with the “thinking” aspects of the game. He just doesn’t know how to process things properly and make good decisions and that leads to poor and sloppy play.

All of the physical talent in the world, but he doesn’t have anybody to help him with the mental parts of the game and to focus on details. That’s where coaching needs to come in to help him tune in to reality so that we can take advantage of his physical gifts.

39. ryanw411 says: Nov 29, 2012 4:10 PM

I am still curious where all of these after the whistle comments come from. It is funny how people think if they say something enough it is true.

40. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 29, 2012 4:13 PM

detroitsports1234:

No he is not a good teammate. Quite the opposite actually. He makes oodles of millions of dollars a year as the top overall pick in the draft and he has only 1 out of 10 of the top attributes you should look for in a QB. He has a great arm, but a good teammate he is not.

He plays the game extremely poorly, doesn’t seem to have a resource or support group to bring his game up to a high level, and he is the top player on the team that anchors us down and prevents us from winning more than any other player.

41. lazzzz says: Nov 29, 2012 4:13 PM

Nobody cares about the Lions and that is why Suh and company play with that edgy side to them! They went 0-16 and the media and opposing fans had a field day with this organization over the last decade or so!

Unless you’re a Lions fan you will not understand where we are coming from!

Being a Lions fan I couldn’t care less if Suh is labeled the dirtiest player! If he was a Packer, a Giant, a Patriot he would not be given that label! The fact that he is a Lion everyone is ripping into him and making him the villain, when he is the same as all other Lineman (a little cheap)! They all do it and get away with it!

42. sgtdiver says: Nov 29, 2012 4:16 PM

As a Lions fan I really don’t care if any of you don’t respect a single player on the team. All of you seem to only get your NFL news from pft and nowhere else. The problem is that other things happen in the league that should garner attention but doesn’t. Our team is a little dirty and it’s time to get over it. Guess what though, so is your team. I see cheap shots in every NFL game I watch. It seems some of you are just upset because the Lions seem to get more attention than yours.

43. seals1 says: Nov 29, 2012 4:20 PM

The lions are a clown car. He maybe didn’t mean to kick him in junk but no question he attempted to make contact with Shaub in the belly, groin or legs.

44. timbuttrum says: Nov 29, 2012 4:24 PM

So the NFL makes a statement that says they can find no credible evidence to show Suh kicked Stafford intentionally and therefore, there would be no suspension. But they fine him 30k? What the NFL is saying is that they will fine players for accidents. Goodell is bad for the league and I hope Suh appeals.

45. hurrayforyogapants says: Nov 29, 2012 4:26 PM

samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:Nov 29, 2012 2:49 PM

————–

That’s a really weird thing to say to a kid…

46. ken0west says: Nov 29, 2012 4:33 PM

Why does he even deserve the benefit of the doubt? Or even the right to be treated with some degree of objective fairness.

On top of that he is totally overrated. Plenty of guys at the position who outplay him week in and week out, many of witch are far from house hold names.

47. texansdude says: Nov 29, 2012 4:58 PM

The thing that bugs me about Suh is the dirt is not even necessary! I think Suh did it on purpose, yeah, but he was chasing Schaub all over that backfield. For a guy that had few stats in that game, Suh was a HUGE factor. Tremendous football football player with a bone for a head.

48. mintberrycrunch1 says: Nov 29, 2012 4:58 PM

@thestrategyexpert

Congratulations on being the dumbest Lions fan in existence. I hear Jacksonville and Buffalo need some extra fans, why don’t you follow them instead? Anyone who hates on the best QB we have had in 50 years and spews complete and utter baseless nonsense about him absolutely should NOT call themselves a strategy expert.

49. youcantfixstupid2012 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:15 PM

Why all this press for an over rated player? You almost have to wonder if Suh does these things on purpose just to get his name in the sports page since his playing ability lately sure isn’t doing it. Gym Shorts should be let go at the end of the year because he is an undiciplined coach that is out of control. He coached Ablert Haynsworth too so maybe the league should take a look at him and not so much the players.

50. samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says: Nov 29, 2012 5:32 PM

hurrayforyogapants says:Nov 29, 2012 4:26 PM

samanthasteeleruinedmyqb says:Nov 29, 2012 2:49 PM

————–

That’s a really weird thing to say to a kid…
    ________

Would you have preferred that I said nuts?

51. rmc1995 says: Nov 29, 2012 5:52 PM

Why wasn’t Stafford asked if JJ Watt’s helmet to his chin was intentional or not?

52. realitypolice says: Nov 29, 2012 6:09 PM

I don’t think he tried to kick him in nether regions, but he certainly meant to kick him.

The kicking motion is fairly obvious. Physics would tell you that a leg moving downward would not just change direction in a 90 degree angle from the direction it was falling.

What I think happened was that Suh knew he was close to Schaub and where he was standing and just flicked his leg in that general direction hoping to catch him somewhere in a way that would be hard to prove was intentional.

53. eddielionhead says: Nov 29, 2012 7:52 PM

suh plays hard for the lions, thank you mr suh. chase mr luck around the field this week, and who care’s about the people who don’t like him I do

54. jtmartinez34 says: Nov 29, 2012 8:59 PM

Dunce!

55. archer31312 says: Nov 30, 2012 12:01 PM

Okay, I’ve been silent long enough. This season, Suh has been flagged one time………FOR OFFSIDES! Can you be “dirty” being offsides? Suh is the most watched football player in the country by the refs for his so called “dirty” reputation. If this is the case, then why would he have only ONE penalty for an offsides call? Looking back to previous years, HE DID STOMP on Detriech-Smith’s arm…..and apologized for it. Whether anyone thinks it was sincere or not is your own choice, but he did. His flags for hitting (and I use the term “hitting” loosely) Cultler and Dalton were flagged. Does that make EVERY player who gets a personal foul penalty “dirty”? If that’s the case, every Sunday there are a LOT of “dirty” players in the NFL! All of you “players” who are calling for someone to chop block him for “payback” need to put on your pads and go out there and do it yourself……oh wait, you’re not NFL players……..I guess it’s easy for you to criticize what you can’t do yourselves…………Oh, and wouldn’t the players “chop block” be “dirty” also?