Brian Cushing ambivalent about future of cut blocks

Brian Cushing AP

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has a fine line to walk when discussing cut blocking.

Sure, his season ended when his ACL was torn on an illegal block by Jets guard Matt Slauson. But he also plays for a team which uses legal cut blocks as an integral part of the offense.

The league is considering rules changes which would outlaw blocks below the waist, though few if any expect a total ban.

“I don’t know,” Cushing said, via Tania Ganguli of the Houston Chronicle. “I’m obviously going to have no say in whether that happens or not. It’s been a huge part of the game the last couple years, especially with our offensive scheme. I’m not sure. I’m not sure what to feel about that.

“Obviously feel a little strongly about it since something did happen to me. Obviously players it’s never happened to before could care less.”

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he had no comment when asked about a potential rule change, and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison emphasized the Texans were within the rules, and would change if the rules changed.

“I think if it’s head on and within the rule book, and if you see the guy I think [it’s OK],” Cushing said. “But my situation, I don’t want it to happen to any other players out there.”

It’s no accident that players on teams that don’t cut-block as much as the Texans have stronger feelings.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Brian Cushing ambivalent about future of cut blocks”
  1. js20011041 says: Nov 30, 2012 3:32 PM

Banning cut blocks is a bad idea. First off, let’s just get this out of the way, EVERY team cut blocks to some degree. Every team. Not just zone blocking teams. Not just option teams in college football. Banning cutblocking would decimate the ability of teams to run the football. Further, there isn’t any evidence that cutblocking leads to increased numbers of injuries. At what point do we just take the pads away and give these guys flags?

2. sourdoughsam says: Nov 30, 2012 4:14 PM

I know the speed of the NFL is on a whole different level, but I used to drill my high school varsity LB’s on getting around cut blocks and when to expect them. Having also coached offensive line, I know we would have been severely limited had we not been able to cut. Besides, we never coached our kids to go for the side of the knee. If you’re doing that, you already got beat.

3. tindeaux says: Nov 30, 2012 4:17 PM

most people who say banning is a bad idea because 1 – it’s not their knees, 2 – they can careless because they don’t know the effect of having gone through the surgery and rehap…. you may never be 100% again after surgery like that.

4. fuglyflorio says: Nov 30, 2012 5:19 PM

He may be ambivalent on cut blocks … but I’m pretty sure he’s 100% behind PEDs.

5. raiderapologist says: Nov 30, 2012 10:14 PM

———–
    Is he talking about cut-blocks, or PEDs?

6. davetexansfan says: Dec 1, 2012 1:57 PM

Good lord people. Grow up already. Cushing failed the drug test his first year in the league and hasn’t done anything since. Other than completely dominate the game. Hey
    raiderapologist” sorry the raiders are complete garbage and an embarassment to Al Davis, but you don’t have to take it out on us just because we know how to win games. Clay Matthews was doing the same exact crap at USC with Cushing but he hasn’t gotten fined a penny for it. Grow up people. Everybody makes mistakes. Every. Single. Human. Being. I mean you’re a Raiders fan for crying out loud.