Eagles issue statement from Vick that doesn’t really state anything

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick watches from the sidelines during their NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers in Philadelphia Reuters

Amid rampant reports and rumblings that Eagles quarterback Mike Vick believes the team is using his concussions as an excuse to keep him on ice while the team tries out younger players, the Eagles have issued a statement from Vick.

But the statement omits any clear statement from Vick that he believes the Eagles aren’t putting a thumb on the concussion assessment scale.

“I want to thank my fans for the thousands of well wishes,” Vick says.  “I also appreciate the support of the entire Eagles organization. I feel strong and healthy.   As a professional athlete, I want to play in every game but the NFL has a specific protocol to protect players.   My focus is to complete this process successfully, so I can rejoin my team on the field.”

Earlier in the day, coach Andy Reid addressed more specifically the question of whether politics are keeping Vick on ice.

“[T]here’s nothing to that,” Reid told reporters.  “I’ve talked with Michael and Michael is good.  I don’t know where things get started but Michael is fine with it.  He understands that everything is in the best interest of him right now and making sure that he’s ready to go.”

Reid also essentially said that, when Vick is cleared to play, he will.  “Michael is the quarterback of this team,” Reid said.  “That’s how I’ve approached it from the get go.  I’ve told you guys that.  Until I tell you guys differently, that’s how I feel.  Michael understands that so that’s the important thing.  I just want to make sure there’s open communication between us.”

Trainer Rick Burkholder said that reports Vick have regressed aren’t true, but that Vick has plateaued in his recovery.  Burkholder also disputed the suggestion that the concussion is being used as a way to justify not playing Vick; “There’s no conspiracy here,” Burkholder said.

Still, the suspicion has been present from the outset that Vick isn’t injured as badly as advertised, and that the concussion allowed the Eagles to bench him without actually benching him.  From Vick’s perspective, not playing makes it hard to persuade other teams that he deserves a starting job and the contract that goes along with it after the Eagles inevitably cut him in the offseason, avoiding a $15.5 million salary for 2013.

And even if the Eagles aren’t fudging the concussion assessment results (indeed, there’s no evidence that they are), there’s a good chance they’re privately pleased with the situation, since it allows them to give Nick Foles extended reps and development.  As Reid said Friday regarding the decision to cut defensive end Jason Babin, “It gives some of our young players, who I think deserve the right and can help us win football games, the opportunity to play.”

That same reasoning applies to Foles.  Even though he has yet to help them do anything other than lose football games.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Eagles issue statement from Vick that doesn’t really state anything”
  1. gdeli says: Nov 30, 2012 4:17 PM

what a circus! a must watch drama fest on sunday night. Let’s see if romo or foles can do anything.

2. tv426 says: Nov 30, 2012 4:32 PM

Vick=coach killer!

3. absolutekind says: Nov 30, 2012 4:37 PM

Eagles not want him to play? How about the other way around. Vick is the one who takes the imPACT test. He’s not being cleared to play because HE can’t pass the concussion evaluations. What quarterback would be motivated to return to a team with no chance of the playoffs, a dismal offensive line, and a guaranteed paycheck?

4. bigbluefan11 says: Nov 30, 2012 4:45 PM

Vick’s one fan sent a thousand well wishes??

5. weepingjebus says: Nov 30, 2012 4:57 PM

Maybe he’d be more likely to be cleared under the concussion test if he didn’t insist on wearing hats like that in public.

6. sonopazzo6 says: Nov 30, 2012 4:59 PM

Bring in Tim Tebow…..I’m sure he can solve all the Eagles problems!

7. medialovesthecowboys says: Nov 30, 2012 5:08 PM

What would be VERY interesting to see, is if Nick Foles got injured on Sunday night. Pretty sure Vick would be “cleared” by Monday.

8. snowpea84 says: Nov 30, 2012 5:16 PM

I think VIck is terrible. That being said, what could he possibly have to gain by playing right now? With theway the Eagles stand injury wise, playing wont aid him over the offseason looking for a job. His best bet is to let his tape stand as is, and not make matters worse. Someone will be dumb enough to sign him.

9. steviekthr3e says: Nov 30, 2012 5:19 PM

Regardless of who Vick is & his history, does anyone else notice the correlation between this situation & the “Any Given Sunday” storyline?

Willie Mike Vick Beamin (but reversed?)

10. phillyphan72 says: Nov 30, 2012 5:30 PM

If start canning the dead weight now..We all kno it’s coming so lets not wait anymore…..Mr.Lurie

11. packersfn7 says: Nov 30, 2012 5:42 PM

Maybe the Jets will take him?

12. b3nz0z says: Nov 30, 2012 6:12 PM

dang, teams can’t win – “you’d better be extra careful when it comes to concussions!” “why are you guys being so careful?”

13. theseekeroffun says: Nov 30, 2012 6:14 PM

“I want to thank my fans for the thousands of well wishes,” Vick says. “I also appreciate the support of the entire Eagles organization. I feel strong and healthy. As a professional athlete, I want to play in every game but the NFL has a specific protocol to protect players. My focus is to complete this process successfully, so I can rejoin my team on the field.”

Seriously? If this Vick’s actual words, he is concussed.

14. mossnvick says: Nov 30, 2012 7:02 PM

hopefully eagles will let vick go so the eagle fans can stop channeling a their hate for their sorry team through him

15. bamboozle99 says: Nov 30, 2012 7:19 PM

Can’t remember all the details of his so called 100 Mil contract, but the larger chunk of the money requires him to take certain amount of snaps.

16. chrisvegas says: Nov 30, 2012 7:22 PM

As a Philly fan all I can say is…. What more can go wrong for Philly this year? 2013 can’t come soon enough.

17. bordner says: Nov 30, 2012 7:52 PM

Can’t wait to see next year’s version of the Dream Team.

18. vicksprman says: Nov 30, 2012 8:26 PM

He has to say this if he wants his career to continue nobody wants a quitter.

19. turboreattore says: Nov 30, 2012 8:54 PM

How about Jamarcus Russell?

20. draconian1111 says: Nov 30, 2012 9:03 PM

Vick is probably perfectly healthy. They just don’t realize that with his intellect – he always appears to have a concussion.

21. sgtr0c says: Nov 30, 2012 9:38 PM

(indeed, there’s no evidence that they are)

22. EJ says: Nov 30, 2012 9:50 PM

Vick is done in Philadelphia. He will be joining his new team come early next season, Philly won’t pay the large sum he is due just to keep him till training camp. My guess is either Buffalo or the Jets. The Bills wanted to sign him before he went to Philly, but weren’t ready to pay. Now Buddy Nix’s seat is starting to warm up, he’ll be scrambling to get help with the QB position.

23. beerbudsnbevo says: Nov 30, 2012 10:12 PM

Hey medialovesthecowboys….

Ummm, what’s up with that name?

Media loves to hate the Cowboys….

That would be like medialoveslindseylohan

24. cherrybop says: Nov 30, 2012 10:15 PM

They should bring Tebow in next year and have him compete against Vick for the job…maybe let Foles go at it too, but I’m not too optimistic about him showing significant progress this season.

Tebow and Vick in Philly would be the best thing ever. The fans would love it.

25. tfoz5150 says: Nov 30, 2012 10:30 PM

moss n vick – the Eagles were actually good before he got there.

26. ezg1 says: Nov 30, 2012 10:46 PM

Vick has successfully drug the once proud Eagles into the heathenistic muck of his pathetic life!