Mark Sanchez out, Greg McElroy in

Greg McElroy AP

Rex Ryan has finally shown Mark Sanchez the bench.

Greg McElroy is in the game with a little more than five minutes to play in the third quarter at the Meadowlands. The move elicited a happy reaction from a crowd that was more than a little upset about Sanchez’s three interceptions in the first half. It’s McElroy’s first regular season appearance.

Sanchez was 10-of-21 for 97 yards overall and failed to lead the Jets to anything but punts on their first two possessions of the second half. Ryan Lindley’s been just as bad, so the score is just 3-0 if McElroy is able to make something happen.

And, yes, we do find the humor in the fact that Sanchez finally gets benched when Tim Tebow is inactive because of injured ribs. The 2012 Jets season wouldn’t have it any other way.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Mark Sanchez out, Greg McElroy in”
  1. billsfaninmiami says: Dec 2, 2012 3:13 PM

About
    Dam
    Tide!

2. bucrightoff says: Dec 2, 2012 3:13 PM

The crowd reaction was priceless.

3. flavordave says: Dec 2, 2012 3:14 PM

Its stunning how long this decision took. Sanchez is a backup QB at best. GMs always want to wait for guys to pan out but Sanchez is brutally bad.

4. minnesotablizzard says: Dec 2, 2012 3:14 PM

I hope it says “Ponder out, Joe Webb in” soon.

5. jetsfansince1968 says: Dec 2, 2012 3:15 PM

Rex should be fired tonight, even if the Jets win, for starting Sanchez in Q3

6. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Dec 2, 2012 3:16 PM

Just cut Mark Sanchez after this week and put him out of his misery. His NFL career is over.

7. nathan723481 says: Dec 2, 2012 3:16 PM

“And, yes, we do find the humor in the fact that Sanchez finally gets benched when Tim Tebow is inactive”

Don’t think that’s a coincidence.

8. FinFan68 says: Dec 2, 2012 3:17 PM

Tebow could have played last week according to the Jets. He is inactive because they are playing the Cards and Rex knew he might have to bench Sanchez. The Tebow rib issue is essentially the same as the Vick/Alex Smith concussions. The coach does not want extra criticism about his decisions.

9. rr2000k says: Dec 2, 2012 3:17 PM

Train wreck!

10. brenenostler says: Dec 2, 2012 3:18 PM

Sanchez is Tony Romo 2.0

11. ilovefootball2525 says: Dec 2, 2012 3:20 PM

I love McElroy!!!! However, I still hate the Jets and I hope Rex gets fired.

12. verticalface says: Dec 2, 2012 3:22 PM

What the hell is Sanchez writing on the sidelines??

“I will not throw interceptions.”
    “I will not throw interceptions.”
    “I will not throw interceptions.”

At least he was happy for McElroy.

13. bucrightoff says: Dec 2, 2012 3:22 PM

And of course McElroy leads em right down the field. It wasn’t even his play, just the confidence they have in him is 50 times that of Sanchez.

14. 1standinches says: Dec 2, 2012 3:24 PM

it’s funny how they want to bench Sanchez when Tebow is injured

15. redwoodking says: Dec 2, 2012 3:25 PM

Rex is going down with Sanchez, too little too late. Like Harbaugh and Flacco, just the opposite end of the spectrum

16. realitypolice says: Dec 2, 2012 3:26 PM

And now you know how badly the Jets did NOT want to play Tebow. They wait until the game where they finally deactivated him for an injury he’s supposedly had for almost a month, and then bench Sanchez.

That allows them to save the embarrassment of admitting that McElroy was at least the second best QB on the team all along which they would have had to do when they played him with a healthy Tebow available.

17. nomoreseasontix says: Dec 2, 2012 3:45 PM

It’s almost as if they went out of their way to replace Sanchez with anyone but Tebow.
    What does that say about Tebows future?

18. hedleykow says: Dec 2, 2012 3:51 PM

While Tebow looks on from the best paying seat in the stadium.

19. zackd2 says: Dec 2, 2012 3:52 PM

Camera caught a glimpse of Sanchez’s clipboard on the sideline:

I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.
    I will not be a bad QB.

20. atwatercrushesokoye says: Dec 2, 2012 3:57 PM

Tebow fans are going to make life miserable for Ryan and McElroy. If he didn’t have that enormous legion of lemmings following him and insisting he is the best QB to ever play the game despite the evidence to the contrary, he might actually be given a chance to be a 3rd string and develop somewhere, instead the sideshow comes along, I’m guessing he gets one more chance with Jacksonville before he ends up in the cfl.

21. parkerfly says: Dec 2, 2012 3:57 PM

What do you bet Ryan says in the post game press conference that Sanchez is still his guy? I wonder if Rex even believes what he says.

22. righton989 says: Dec 2, 2012 4:16 PM

Ryan sez Sanchize is his man forever.

23. kenorv says: Dec 2, 2012 4:19 PM

Benching Sanchez the week that Tebow is inactive shows that the Tebow trade was all Woody Johnson. Rex didn’t want him, Tannenbaum didn’t want him.

The problem with Tebow is if you decide that he’s your starter then you really have to change your offense significantly and there doesn’t appear to be a team that’s willing to do that. Denver did it last year out of desperation but I don’t think you’ll ever see another team do that. Teams will keep looking for a more prototypical QB or at the very least a RGIII type that can throw it just as well as he runs it. There isn’t going to be a team that decides to go with a QB that only excels at the read option.

24. blackngold4life says: Dec 2, 2012 11:13 PM

The Jets sabotaged Tebows season on purpose! they had no plans on playing him anyway