Quinn: Chiefs players wondering if they could have helped

Brady Quinn AP

Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn, sadly, has experience dealing with situations like this.

That doesn’t make the aftermath of Jovan Belcher’s suicide after killing his girlfriend any easier for him and his teammates to deal with.

Quinn was a member of the Broncos when teammate Kenny McKinley committed suicide in 2010, and said he has no words to offer comfort

It’s hard to say a whole lot,” Quinn said, via Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star. “Unfortunately I was on Denver when Kenny McKinley took his life, and there’s really not any words that can describe the emotions that are involved.

“The big thing is [Belcher’s] daughter. I know a bunch of the guys are going to try to set up a fund to try to take care of his daughter. Her parents are not in her life anymore.”

Quinn described a somber scene at the Chiefs facility yesterday, when coach Romeo Crennel addressed the team not long after watching Belcher take his own life

“It was obviously tough for Coach to have to tell us that,” Quinn said. “He really wasn’t able to finish talking to us. We got together and prayed and then we moved on.”

The Chiefs are playing the Panthers as scheduled today, after the league consulted with the team and the NFLPA of the right course to take. Chiefs captains said they wanted to play, but Quinn said it was hard to know now if it was the right thing or not.

“I think everyone is just so shocked at what had taken place, being who it was and being what had happened,” Quinn said. “I think people are still trying to digest everything let alone think about playing a game. It’s tough to put into words.

“It’s hard mostly because I keep thinking about what I could have done to stop this. I think everyone is wondering whether we would have done something to prevent this from happening.

“And then we’re all thinking about his daughter, three or four months old and without a parent. It’s hard to not allow the emotions of the situation to creep into your head with the game this close. But we’re going to do the best we can to concentrate on the task at hand.”

It’s easy to say the game will be a moment of escape for the Chiefs, but the reality is what happened yesterday will never leave them, and any comfort will be temporary.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Quinn: Chiefs players wondering if they could have helped”
  1. chipwrecked says: Dec 2, 2012 10:06 AM

As a fan of another AFC West team, for the first time I will be pulling for the Chiefs today. Unimaginable situation. Thoughts and prayers are with the families involved and all the players/coaches on that team.

2. dprouse says: Dec 2, 2012 10:12 AM

I have seen the aftermath of suicide as well, and it is unspeakably awful. Brady Quinn’s feelings are very common – after a suicide, all kinds of good people are plagued with guilt, thinking that they could have or should have been able to do something to prevent it. Of course, that’s not the case – suicide is ultimately an irrational act, so it is impossible to make sense of it or try to assign blame. That’s the one message I hope the counselors are able to bring to the Chiefs family – no one should be blaming themselves for this in any way.

My heart goes out to all those affected by this senseless tragedy.

3. masterflyguy says: Dec 2, 2012 10:13 AM

Well said and God Bless….

4. vietnambob2473 says: Dec 2, 2012 10:17 AM

Nothing could have been done to stop this, the guy was a monster and people like that can’t be reasoned with. This disgusting guy doesn’t deserve to be acknowledged in any way. Pray for his daughter and family but he is a piece of trash.

5. dragynj says: Dec 2, 2012 10:18 AM

I’ve lost TWO high school classmates/old friends in the past week. One to overdose, suffered from depression and one to suicide. She jumped from a bridge in portland…. Although time grew us apart I’m still struggling with the same question, “what could I have done?”. … My prayers this morning included EVERYONE involved in this.

As for how to remember Javon? Place the balance of his contract in a fund for that little girl he orphaned…

6. polegojim says: Dec 2, 2012 10:23 AM

Yes they should play. Team needs to be ‘a team’ quickly. The longer this lingers without activity, the larger and worse it gets.

We don’t know the complete circumstances, but shooting your girl friend multiple times… in front of her mother… then taking the easy way out…

Was he sick? No matter what, I don’t see providing him with a moment of silence. He was NOT a victim in this sad violence. Seemingly decent people do horrible things… doesn’t change it.

Their daughter and both families should be considered though.

7. Patriot42 says: Dec 2, 2012 10:37 AM

We tend to view athletes as wealthy with few problems and a tragedy happens among them and we are drawn to the fact that money doesn’t by itself make you happy.

8. pftfollower says: Dec 2, 2012 10:46 AM

get the fund for her started and post the link here.

9. WatchThis says: Dec 2, 2012 11:03 AM

As a dad of a 4-yo girl, this tears me up. Praying for her and the other family. Take care of this girl.

10. oside760 says: Dec 2, 2012 11:15 AM

this is just insane it continues to blow my mind. life can be short and you never know whats going on in another persons mind so never take anything for granted

11. cags777 says: Dec 2, 2012 11:37 AM

The best way to respond is to win this game. I will be cheering for you guys today as well as sending you my thoughts and prayers for this sad situation.

12. captainwisdom8888 says: Dec 2, 2012 11:45 AM

Rest in peace jovan

I hope the team and community come together for his little girl and set her up for life