Report: Reid thinks he could coach Cowboys next year

Reid AP

In a twist that adds a little spice to Sunday night’s game between the Eagles and Cowboys, presumably outgoing Philly coach Andy Reid reportedly believes that he could be a candidate to coach in Dallas next year, if the Cowboys make a coaching change.

That’s the word from Mark Eckel of the Times of Trenton, who cites an “extremely reliable source, who is close to Reid.”

(Cough . . . agent Bob LaMonte . . . cough.)

“I know a lot of people think Andy is going to San Diego next year, and I can see that happening,” the source told Eckel.  “But I keep hearing Dallas.  I think he can end up with the Cowboys.  As a matter of fact, I think he will end up with the Cowboys, if Jason is fired.”

In other words, if the source is LaMonte:  “Hey, Jeff Lurie.  If you fire Andy, you’re going to have to deal with him twice a year.  So maybe you’d better not fire him.”That probably won’t be enough to get Lurie to stop short of firing Reid.  But, hey, it’s worth a try.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Report: Reid thinks he could coach Cowboys next year”
  1. schmedley69 says: Dec 2, 2012 5:30 PM

That’s a dream scenario for Eagles fans. Get rid of Reid and pick up two easy wins a year in the process. The Cowboys won’t be getting the Andy Reid who used to beat them all the time. They will be getting the washed-up, completely lost his marbles Andy Reid. You know, the one who thought that experimenting with moving his O-line coach to D-coordinator was a good idea as the franchise’s championship drought was passing the 50 year mark. The one who got thoroughly out-coached in two straight weeks by Wade Phillips to end the 2009 season. Take him with our compliments, Cowboys fans.

2. sd1024 says: Dec 2, 2012 5:34 PM

No way in hell Reid would work with an owner like Jerry Jones.

3. romoscollarbone says: Dec 2, 2012 5:37 PM

Goodness please, no. Dallas needs Gruden. Someone that will be on Romo from 4am til 3:59 am.

4. edhochuli says: Dec 2, 2012 5:45 PM

Last I checked, Dallas already has a coach who:

1. Is awful as clock management
    2. Calls passing plays 60 times a game
    3. Cannot get a talented roster to play tough

5. jazz607 says: Dec 2, 2012 5:51 PM

As an Eagles fan, I can only hope this happens!

6. cowboyscanada says: Dec 2, 2012 6:01 PM

If the Cowboys do get a new coach, I hope its John Gruden.

7. jam11163 says: Dec 2, 2012 6:04 PM

please go anywhere andy

8. paredskinwarrior1985 says: Dec 2, 2012 6:08 PM

gruden will be the head coach in Dallas as it is his dream job no chance he goes to filthy philly , he makes Andy Reid and mike holmgrin offensive head coach and asst hc and Juan castello dc book it!! I’ve been hearing these rumours for months now.

gruden said he would never go to philly and never would take his friend andy’s job!!!! philly fans need to open there eyes and should be begging for cowher!!!

9. Corey W. says: Dec 2, 2012 6:39 PM

So let me get this straight. Reid would go to a bitter rival and bring his excellent clock management skills with him, in addition to his incredibly successful playoff record the last 4 years and use all of that to enable a turnover prone Romo to succeed. I’m shaking in my hypothetical boots.

10. stevenfbrackett says: Dec 2, 2012 7:00 PM

Only if he is willing to abandon all independent thought and action and replace it with “Yessir, Mr Jones. Whatever you say, Mr Jones.”

11. skeeeiins says: Dec 2, 2012 7:14 PM

he’s a great coach, would like to see him stay in the NFC East

12. HitsDingers says: Dec 2, 2012 7:20 PM

sd1024 said:
    No way in hell Reid would work with an owner like Jerry Jones.
    —————————–
    So true. I don’t think AR could go from complete control over all football decisions to control over none of them that quickly. Or ever, for that matter.

13. rawhead08 says: Dec 2, 2012 7:54 PM

That would make the Eagles even more desirable to another coach. He’d know he would get to outcoach Reid twice a yr

14. reddcowboys says: Dec 2, 2012 9:17 PM

What’s funny is Gruden, Holmgren and Reid have all been on a coaching staff before together. Now they are all rumored to fill a job that should be open soon. Only way I see it not open is if Dallas wins the Super Bowl. And even as a Cowboys fan I don’t see that happening. And I’m praying Garrett is canned sooner then later!

15. phillyphannn83 says: Dec 2, 2012 9:18 PM

hahahaha Dallas fans thinking they’re getting Gruden is like Eagles fans thinking were keeping Reid! What a laugh!! News flash, Gruden has already coached in Philly and he absolutely loved it. If you ask me, I think he’s been WAITING for this job to open up. Mark my words, Gruden will be the Head Coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.