Suh: Schaub would change his mind if Texans could sign me

Ndamukong Suh, Matt Schaub AP

After Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh kicked Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin on Thanksgiving, Schaub said that he doesn’t think Suh is worthy of playing for the Texans. But Suh believes that Schaub would change his tune if the Texans ever had the opportunity to acquire Suh.

In an interview with ESPN’s Merril Hoge, Suh said he knows Texans running back Arian Foster would want to play with him, and that he thinks Schaub would, too, if the situation ever arose.

“It’s his opinion,” Suh said of Schaub. “I’m fortunate and lucky enough that I’m a Detroit Lion, I don’t think I have the opportunity to be a Houston Texan. I feel that if I did have an opportunity that maybe he’d change his mind. Arian Foster loves the way that I play. He came out, I saw a brief snippet and had people tell me, that he would love to be my teammate, the way I play.

Suh says he is appealing the $30,000 fine he got for the kick, and he continues to insist that it was an accident, and that his foot just happened to connect to the wrong spot as he was being dragged to the ground.

“I had, honestly, no control over what took place because I was being pulled down,” Suh said.

Suh knows he has a reputation as a dirty player, but he doesn’t appreciate that, and he believes it is based on people not knowing what kind of person he has been throughout his football career.

“I don’t believe it’s fair,” he said. “You can’t let one particular instance or one particular act or even one particular year, say, ‘This is this person’s reputation.’ You’ve got to factor in their whole career, what they’ve come from and what they’ve done.”

What Suh has done was not appreciated by Schaub, but after Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford stuck up for Suh last week, perhaps there’s some truth in the idea that quarterbacks like having Suh as a teammate. If for no other reason than knowing that means they won’t have to play against him.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Suh: Schaub would change his mind if Texans could sign me”
  1. explosionsauce says: Dec 2, 2012 12:28 PM

Sounds about the same as he always does after a dirty move.

2. detroitrollin22 says: Dec 2, 2012 12:29 PM

Every team in the NFL would want Suh on their team. I’m not the biggest Suh fan, and I actually think Fairley is the better DT, but every team would welcome Suh on their roster.

3. realitypolice says: Dec 2, 2012 12:30 PM

Every offensive player wants Suh on their team to eliminate the possibility that they will be the victim of his next dirty play.

4. thelaw14 says: Dec 2, 2012 12:31 PM

Texans would never sign that dude. The front office is great at avoiding media magnets. Sometimes to a fault.

5. Stiller43 says: Dec 2, 2012 12:36 PM

How can you fine a guy when the reason you dont suspend him is because you cant determine his intent?!

Thats like saying, “well, we dont have enough evidence to convict you, but we’re still going to lock you up because were not totally sure youre innocent…”

I’m not a lions or a suh fan. I just like common sense. He should win his appeal. He should have either got suspended and fined, or no punishment.

6. stillers35 says: Dec 2, 2012 12:41 PM

We’ll take him. Everyone else hates the Steelers anyway

7. jamomma says: Dec 2, 2012 12:45 PM

History is against Suh pleading innocence.

8. 4evrnyt says: Dec 2, 2012 12:58 PM

Guess what, no they wouldn’t. Not only that but go ask Haynesworth how many teams he was certain would keep signing his worthless butt and then ask him what he’s doing on Sundays at the moment.

9. ajw21 says: Dec 2, 2012 1:00 PM

Intent doesn’t always matter. A lb hits a rb in the helmet because the rb lowers his head. LB didnt intend to do a helmet to helmet hit but its still a penalty

10. denverscott says: Dec 2, 2012 1:14 PM

@stiller, it’s not a court of law so no, it’s NOT like that at all. Fine will stand.

11. primetime0552 says: Dec 2, 2012 1:19 PM

It’s actually not a penalty for a linebacker to hit a running back on the helmet when he lowers his head. the penalty is when you hit a defenseless player in the head, the running back isn’t defenseless in your scenario.

12. stevenfbrackett says: Dec 2, 2012 1:24 PM

No they wouldn’t. Suh is going to be in for a rude shock one of these days when he finds out just how few teams are willing to trade for him –and just how short a leash most will insist on putting him on.

13. houstontexans99 says: Dec 2, 2012 1:36 PM

We don’t draft/sign guys on the team who are troublemakers off the field. We also don’t overpay players and Suh has an higher view of himself than GMs do. He isn’t nearly as good as he could be bc he hasn’t improved since rookie year