Mike Florio talks with CSN Washington insider Rich Tandler to discuss what has gotten into Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins as of late. Do the media and fans now expect the ‘Skins to win week after week? How about Monday against the Giants at home? Florio and Tandler debate.
PFT Live: Eli and RGIII meet again
Allen told Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he has “absolutely no idea” where he will wind up playing in 2014 after his contract, which will pay him more than $14 million in 2013, with the Vikings expires. He’s seen veteran teammates like Matt Birk and Antoine Winfield wind up heading elsewhere and knows that this might be it for him in Minnesota, something that he admits would not be the case in his best-case scenario.
“Best-case scenario would have been that we would have never gotten to this point. Best-case scenario would have been the organization would have gotten something done a few years back,” Allen said. “Well ya know what? That’s not the case. And I understand it. … I’m just happy I’m in a spot where both sides are honoring the contract.”
As Wiederer points out, the Vikings and Allen could split up no matter how this year plays out. If Allen plays well, he’ll likely be too expensive for the Vikings to keep. If he doesn’t, they might feel like it is time to move on to a younger and cheaper player at defensive end. Allen isn’t overly concerned about either scenario.
“I kind of feel like I hold all the cards in that aspect,” Allen said. “And if it doesn’t work out with the Vikings, I’m not too worried that I won’t be able to find a job, ya know?”
The lack of dialogue on an extension, which would make Allen’s cap hit significantly lower, suggests that the Vikings are just as willing to let the chips fall where they may after the 2013 season. And that makes it a lot likelier that this is Allen’s final year in purple.
The ligaments in his right knee will heal.
But apparently, the relationship between Robert Griffin III and his coaches was never a problem.
Griffin talked to reporters at Redskins OTAs yesterday, updating his physical condition.
But after the early part of his rehab was dominated by questions about whether he should have been in position to be injured in the playoffs, Griffin said Thursday that part was fine.
“There was an unfortunate situation there at the end of the season,” Griffin said, via Mark Maske of the Washington Post. “I don’t think there’s anything that needs to be repaired [in his relationship with the coaches and the team]. . . . The only thing that needed repair from last year was my knee.”
Griffin taking the high road will help keep the issue at bay, but there clearly were some questions about the way he was used last year. He said he “didn’t have a problem” with the way he was used, but others have voiced their concern on his behalf.
RG3 said he and coach Mike Shanahan had “hashed everything out,” making it appear there were some concerns at some point.
“Coach and them, they know exactly what they’re doing,” he said. “We’ve had talks about the offense.”
Of course, if there were never any issues, there wouldn’t have necessarily been a reason to talk about it.
Heath Evans isn’t a big fan of the Dolphins’ moves this offseason.
The Steelers have high hopes for their new run blocking scheme.
Colts rookies have gotten a taste of the rest of the Indianapolis sports scene.
The Jaguars have a couple of defensive linemen looking for rebound seasons.
Titans coach Mike Munchak will be hosting a coaching clinic.
The defense has been winning the battles at Chiefs camp.
Former Raiders WR Tim Brown is excited about entering the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame, where he’ll join Willie Mays as an inductee.
Said Giants WR Ramses Barden, “This is where I wanted to be and now I’m here. I was out there listening to the calls, getting back into the rhythm of the cadence, enjoying the camaraderie and absorbing everything. I remember everything; I’ve had four years to soak it all up. I’m happy to be back on the field. I feel great. I expect the best.”
Bears coach Marc Trestman has high expectations for his quarterbacks.
According to Lions players, there’s a new attitude around the team after last year’s 4-12 record.
Falcons players went fishing with military veterans this week.
Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano joined other Tampa pro sports coaches for a discussion of their jobs on Thursday night.
Former Seahawks WR Mike Williams has made his way to the CFL.
“I don’t think anything surprises me any more in the NFL,” Brady said on WEEI. “I’ve been around long enough to see things happen at different times with the greatest players of all, whether that’s Wes, or Randy Moss being traded from the Raiders, or Brett Favre playing for the Jets and the Vikings. That’s what happens. Like I said, it’s a very tough, competitive business.
There were reports after Welker signed with the Broncos that Brady was upset, but Brady declined to get into any of that.
“Of course I have feelings. But those feelings are very personal to me,” he said. “I used to get caught up in anger and frustration and disappointment. But I don’t make the decisions. These things aren’t up to me. At some point you’ve got to realize the things that are out of your control. You’ve just got to let go and focus on my job and what I need to do. Because the game moves on, the team moves on. There’s only so long you can dwell on the past. At some point you’ve got to move forward. Like I said, my job for my team is to be the best quarterback, and not the general manager and not the coach and not the owner.”
If Brady were the general manager or the coach or the owner, he’d probably list Welker as the first guy he’d want on his team. But as a quarterback, he’s committed to making it work with whatever receivers he has.
On Thursday, the VW bus made the relatively short trek over U.S. Route 50 and up Interstate 77 to the great city of Cleveland (yeah, that’s pretty obvious pandering).
The purpose is unprecedented, at least for me. At some point between noon and midnight (and possibly later), a quartet of NFL media types will shoot a scene in Draft Day, the Kevin Costner/Browns flick currently being filmed on location.
The scene definitely will be shot; whether it makes its way into the final cut of the film remains to be seen. (I’m hoping that, at a minimum, we’ll appear in the DVD saying in unison, “I think he just sh-t himself.”)
Speaking of we (and/or just sh-tting himself), the rest of the crew includes Alex Marvez of FOX Sports and SiriusXM NFL Radio, Jeff Darlington of NFL Network, and Seth Wickersham of ESPN.
I’ll be heading over there after the Friday morning radio routine in the great cities of Houston, Miami, Buffalo, and Dallas (more pandering) — and after taking the VW bus to the shop.
Apparently, a relatively short trek is more than it currently can handle.
Anthony Hargrove signed with the Cowboys for the veteran minimum.
If not for his involvement in the Saints bounty investigation, and his subsequent suspension, he thinks that might not have been the case.
Hargrove said he’s trying to move forward, but said the stigma that followed his suspension (which was eventually reduced to two games) “took my earning power away.” He didn’t play last year after being cut in the preseason by the Packers.
“Sitting out for a year, you don’t know where life is heading,” Hargrove said, via Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I understand how this game works, and when you don’t have a year of film, people are less inclined to bring you in, because they don’t have enough film to evaluate you on.
“It put me at a disadvantage, but you know God is good and it always works out.”
Hargrove has been a serviceable part on a number of defensive lines during his career, but at 30, he knows this is likely his last chance. The Cowboys think his versatility will help as they change to a 4-3 defense, and they weren’t scared off by his past.
“You guys have got to make up your minds on really what took place there,” Hargrove said of the suspension. “I had to live with it. I had to deal with it. It’s a new day in my life. It’s 2013. I’m trying to continue my career and finish up in a strong way.”
He didn’t address his involvement in the concussion lawsuit against the league, saying: “Can’t comment on that. It is what it is. I’m here to play ball, and I’m going to try to do my best and not let anything outside of that hinder me getting on this field and playing.”
While he was out of the league for a year, Hargrove said he worked at a home for mentally challenged adults in Virginia.
“It puts life into perspective,” Hargrove said. “It’s easy to feel bad for yourself because so much stuff happens to you. But when you’re able to sit down with someone who’s much less fortunate than you are, life definitely comes in place. You understand, ‘Hey, my life isn’t that bad.’”
While some of Hargrove’s trouble has been self-inflicted (his 2008 substance abuse suspension), teams have been willing to give him a chance before. The Cowboys are his seventh, and he hopes he can last the year to try to change people’s perception of him.
Charles Sims, a running back from the University of Houston who considered entering this year’s regular NFL draft but ultimately decided to return to the Cougars, has now reconsidered and may enter the supplemental draft.
Sims released a statement saying he has decided to leave Houston but he isn’t sure yet if he is going to transfer to another school or enter the supplemental draft, which would allow him to play in the NFL this season.
“I don’t know what my next step will be. I have one more year of eligibility, therefore I may look to play (1) more year of college football or I may enter the NFL Supplemental Draft later this year,” Sims said in the statement.
There’s been no explanation for why Sims suddenly decided to leave Houston after saying in January that he would return for his senior year, but if he does enter the supplemental draft there’s a good chance he’ll be selected. If Sims had entered this year’s regular draft, he likely would have been a mid- to late-round pick, so if he enters the supplemental draft, some team in need of a running back is likely to spend a 2014 pick to acquire him.
Sims is a quick runner and good receiver out of the backfield who was a first-team All-Conference USA selection in 2011 and managed 851 rushing yards despite struggling through injuries in 2012.
For fans of Da Bears, there won’t be another Ditka.
And for the Bears, there won’t be another 89.
According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears will retire Mike Ditka’s number during a Dec. 9 Monday Night Football appearance against the Cowboys at Soldier Field.
Ditka coached the team to its only Super Bowl title 27 years ago, but was a tremendous player for them prior to that, playing for their 1963 NFL title team.
The 73-year-old ESPN analyst will be the 14th Bearts player to have his number retired, the first since Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers. That’s the most retired numbers of any NFL team.
Ditka hasn’t always had the best relationship with Bears ownership, but his relationship with the fans of the team is undeniable, as is his place in history now.
Though it took him a little longer than his self-proclaimed five minutes, Rob Ryan found a job this offseason.
And considering his personality, it might have been in the perfect spot.
Ryan talked to reporters in New Orleans for the first time Thursday, and said he was fortunate to land with a team that had the worst defense in league history last year, because they both have something to prove.
He referred back to his firing by the Cowboys, and the Super Bowl he won in New Orleans as a member of the Patriots staff, calling himself “lucky” to be where he was.
“These guys have been well-coached before. They’re smart. They’re just ready to win,” Ryan said, via Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “I think we all have a chip on our shoulder after last season. . . .
“I know everybody is on the same path. That big sign that used to be up there [in the Saints' indoor practice facility] — ‘Do Your Job’ — I’ve heard those words before. I plan on doing it. I’ve got two Super Bowl rings, one of them won out here in sweet, live ass New Orleans as part of a great organization.”
Yeah, he should fit right in.
The Saints could use a shot of confidence, after allowing a league-record 7,042 yards last year. Ryan can provide that.
He admitted he “got my feelings hurt” when he was fired, but said he was “very fortunate” to land with Sean Payton, and he clearly enjoys the challenge ahead of him.
“I like his passion,” Payton said. “You know, he’s someone that I spent a lot of time researching and arriving at that decision, guys that I know very well that have worked with him.
“I like the way players respond and I think he’s a perfect fit for what we’re looking for.”
Now all he has to do is find enough players to adapt to his scheme, and he might finally end up a coordinator for a team with a winning record.
A mere five months have passed since Buffalo Bills tight end Scott Chandler suffered a torn ACL in a loss against the Miami Dolphins in December. Yet, Chandler is already back on the practice field running routes, making cuts and catching passes.
Chandler isn’t participating with the rest of the team during OTAs. He had an individual workout away from the team Thursday catching passes from undrafted rookie quarterback Jeff Tuel. But for being just over four months removed from reconstructive surgery on his knee, it was a strong showing of the progress he’s made in his rehab process.
“The knee feels really good,” Chandler said, via the team’s official website. “I feel great. Running routes you could probably tell it’s not 100 percent, but it’s better than most so I feel good.”
Chandler said he’s been running routes for the last three weeks. Despite his progress, the Bills will likely choose to be cautious and continue to hold him out of team activities through the team’s mini-camp in June. For Chandler, being ready for training camp was always the goal anyway.
“I feel it’s realistic,” Chandler said. “It’s kind of what I expected. Honestly I just wanted to be ready to go when training camp and the season came around. I’m not a guy who is going to sit there and hope that it gets better. I’m going to be proactive.”
Chandler appeared in 15 games last season for the Bills before the injury and made 13 starts. He caught 43 passes for 571 and six touchdowns.
Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson played through a labrum injury at the end of last season. The injury was substantial enough to require surgery over the offseason and the it turned out to be more severe than first realized.
According to Rich Campbell of the Washington Times, the injury also required repairing of Wilson’s pectoral muscle when the extent of the damage was fully known. Despite the severity of the injury, Wilson hopes to be ready for the start of training camp in July. Per Mike Jones of the Washington Post, Wilson’s surgery occurred two months ago.
Wilson has played for the Redskins the last two seasons and started all 32 games over that span. He’s recorded 136 tackles with four interceptions, four forced fumbles and a sack.
The Seattle Seahawks have signed another player who tried out with the team during their rookie mini-camp two weeks ago.
The team announced they have signed wide receiver Justin Veltung on Thursday. Veltung played at the University of Idaho and battled injuries his final two years. Veltung appeared in 43 games with 62 catches for 901 yards and eight touchdowns for Idaho.
The Seahawks were apparently intrigued by Veltung’s athleticism. As seen in the video below, Veltung can complete a 56-inch standing box jump. Veltung fills the roster spot of quarterback Josh Portis, who was released earlier this week after he was arrested and charged with suspicion of DUI.
One Thursday, the Colts signed one linebacker and waived another.
So why the post about the arrival of Caesar Rayford and the departure of Jake Killeen, two players who have never appeared in an NFL game?
It is a reminder there are various ways to be discovered by pro football’s most prestigious league.
Rayford, 27, has been a defensive end with the Utah Blaze of the Arena Football League the last four seasons, notching 27.5 sacks. The Colts will try the 6-foot-7, 265-pound Washington product at outside linebacker.
The 27-year-old Killeen, meanwhile, is a former Indoor Football League standout whom the Colts signed in January. Like Rayford, the Colts listed him at outside linebacker.
The Colts aren’t the only NFL team to scout the other professional leagues, not by a longshot. But this is a uniquely Colts transaction. General manager Ryan Grigson played and scouted in the Canadian Football League, and he had a stint in the Arena League as a coach and evaluator.
While Rayford certainly is no lock to make the Colts, it’s notable he’s getting a chance. He had just 5.5 sacks in four seasons at Washington, and he is six years removed from college. He had to earn his way onto the NFL’s radar, and then he had to hope someone would notice him on the screen.
The Colts apparently did.
The Falcons have moved carefully and specifically this offseason, not adding many players, but adding veterans at positions of need.
They may be about to again.
The Falcons don’t have a glut of cap room, but still would be interested in adding a player such as Seymour, a four-time Pro Bowler who would add some gravity to a defense that needs it.
According to multiple published reports, Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent faces a court date Friday as Dallas County District Attorney’s office alleges he has violated his bond conditions in connection with the auto accident that took the life of teammate Jerry Brown last year.
According to the Dallas Morning News, the district attorney’s office alleges Brent either has been in close proximity of alcohol or has consumed alcohol; either is forbidden according to the conditions set after Brent was charged with intoxication manslaughter in December. Per multiple reports, Brent faced a $100,000 bond.
An unnamed source told ESPN Dallas that Brent did not consume alcohol.
Also, the Associated Press, citing prosecutors, reported that Brent is alleged to have tampered with an alcohol-detection monitor he is to wear.
Brent is slated to go to trial in September.