Police reports reveal new details in Belcher murder-suicide

Chiefs Belcher Football AP

Police reports from the shooting of Kasandra Perkins and the suicide of Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shined light on a relationship that was turbulent enough that the team was trying to counsel him long before last Saturday’s incident.

According to an in-depth report by Christine Vendel of the Kansas City Star, Belcher leaned over his dead girlfriend’s body seconds after he shot her, kissed her on the forehead and said he was sorry, before driving to the Chiefs facility where he’d kill himself in front of team officials.

Belcher’s mother, who was there to watch the couple’s 3-month old daughter and was in the kitchen when her son shot his girlfriend, apparently witnessed his goodbye to the woman he just killed.

That detail was among the troubling revelations about a relationship that had more problems than previously realized. According to Kansas City Police Sgt. Richard Sharp, the team knew about their issues and was “bending over backward” to help.

Apparently arguments over their relationship and financial issues boiled over Saturday morning, when they argued over Perkins staying out late after a concert. Belcher then apparently went out, eventually falling asleep in his car. Police officers sent him home after deeming him safe to drive, at which point the argument escalated.

According to police reports, Belcher’s mother heard him said something along the lines of “You can’t talk to me like that!” just before the gunfire.

That’s when he drove to the Chiefs facility and was met by general manager Scott Pioli. The report said Belcher stepped out of his car with a gun pointed at his head and said: “I did it. I killed her.”

When head coach Romeo Crennel and linebackers coach Gary Gibbs arrived, Belcher reportedly said, “Guys, I have to do this,” before stepping away.

“I was trying to get him to understand that life is not over,” Crennel told The Star. “He still has a chance and let’s get this worked out.’’

But when police sirens were heard, Belcher stepped away saying “I got to go. I can’t be here,” before kneeling behind a car, making the sign of the cross across his chest and shooting himself in the head.

“He cared about her,” Sharp said. “I don’t think he could live with himself.”

While the details of the police investigation can fill in some of the gaps of information, what happened Saturday morning may never be truly understood, and the pain may never recede from those who were close by when the tragedy unfolded.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Police reports reveal new details in Belcher murder-suicide”
  1. mrpapadakos says: Dec 4, 2012 10:25 AM

Tragic.

2. heydiddlediddlerayriceupthemiddle says: Dec 4, 2012 10:25 AM

This story is incredibly sad. Each detail gets more and more tragic. All I can think about is the child and how they will have to grow up and eventually learn about their parent’s fate.

My prayers go out to the friends and family of Jovan Belcher.

3. randyschwimmer7 says: Dec 4, 2012 10:27 AM

Terrible tragedy that NO ONE should have to deal with. Hopefully the little girl is taken care of. That is the most tragic thing besides him taking the life of his love. Just heartbreaking all the way around.

4. Andre's Johnson says: Dec 4, 2012 10:33 AM

No one who experiences the human condition is exempt from its darkness, its misery, its misfortune. Whether wealthy, married, single, impoverished, famous, it doesn’t matter. It seems almost as if this were destined to happen, and the parties involved were powerless to do anything.

5. petehemlock says: Dec 4, 2012 10:34 AM

Senseless. Even though you can see it coming you never think it will.

6. wingz101 says: Dec 4, 2012 10:36 AM

This is such a terrible story. I am not sure how any of these people can go on with their lives. I know they will, and I admire them for it, but they may never get over it fully.

I just hope that little baby isn’t marked by this when she grows up. She didn’t deserve the cards she has just been dealt by life. I hope that somehow it just makes her stronger.

7. blakeinfla says: Dec 4, 2012 11:05 AM

Its sad when things are so bad people think murder/suicide is the answer. Its always darkest before dawn.

8. S.Nevada says: Dec 4, 2012 11:06 AM

I find it horrifying that they actually played a game this past Sunday. Some things are more important than sports and money..

9. redfield11 says: Dec 4, 2012 11:12 AM

People SHOULD feel sorry for him, feel sorry he felt compelled to do what he did and feel sorry for the fact he had the awareness to realize his mistake after it was too late.

10. stevincinci says: Dec 4, 2012 11:22 AM

What did you want them to do? Forfeit. That wouldn’t have helped the team cope in any way.

11. jason49er says: Dec 4, 2012 11:25 AM

It sounds really messed up to say but if her parents were that nuts maybe this little girl is better off being raised by others? Of course the loss of life is unfortunate but if there’s a silver lining atleast it’s that.

12. zaggs says: Dec 4, 2012 11:26 AM

I feel for Crennel. Surely not the worst affected by this, but for how long will he wonder “What if?”?

13. yankeemofo says: Dec 4, 2012 11:29 AM

Can you imagine what it would feel like in that one instant of realization when it hits you EXACTLY just what you have done? I’m sure many men have been closer to this than they ever wanted to be over some woman who they allowed to push them too far.

14. truthfactory says: Dec 4, 2012 11:55 AM

I think the guy just snapped in a moment of anger and lost control of himself. What a sad story…

15. pacificamjr says: Dec 4, 2012 12:16 PM

Hats off to the grandmothers that raise the majority of the children that turn out OK in the african-american community… Hopefully this is no exception. At least he had the decency to not put the baby momma’s family through the ordeal of a trial.

16. theblowtorchreview says: Dec 4, 2012 1:07 PM

It’s sad that we have raised a generation that think guns and killing are the answer to all their problems. Violence is so ingrained in our youth now I see no way out of this spiral of declining morals and civility.

17. theclaymaker52 says: Dec 5, 2012 1:39 AM

Count on someone like yankeemofo to start the victim-blaming. There is nothing my girlfriend could do to push me to the point of murder. Kassandra is NOT at fault unless she physically threatened him and he acted in self-defense, which I highly doubt.